New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flatlander in Idaho
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got back from a week of chasing mule deer with Customstox and Howard along with the members of Chic's regular crew. We hunted a wilderness area along the middle fork of the Salmon. A few obsevations.
1.) No better company can be found. This is a great group of guys who made a newbie feel welcome.
2.) Flat land in Idaho: Any piece of ground that you can put both feet on and have them be close to the same elevation. This is a rare occurance to be celebrated.
2.) A little hike: This means load up with plenty of food and water because we are going on a death march.
3.) Foot cramps: these are a good thing because they take your mind off your back spasms, swollen knees and shoulder cramps.
4.) Downhill: What you wish you were doing when you are climbing.
5.) Climbing: What you wish you were doing when you are going downhill.
6.) Sidehill: When you wish you were climbing or going downhill.
7.) Oxygen: only exists East of the Missippi.
8.) Tent heater: Seven men who have had triple helpings of Dogbreath chili.
9.) Spike camp: Something for people who feel hiking 10-12 miles a day is too wimpy. These people should be committed.
10.) Rifle rest: A combination of a packframe, stuff sack, and custom stockmaker's shoulder on a steep slope.
11.) Partying in camp: 2 beers with supper before collapsing by 8:00 pm.
12.) Conclusion: A fabulous time with great people in great country.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL. Good observations. So, how did you guys do as far as the hunting? What area (what creek drainage) were hunting at?

one of us
posted Hide Post
skibum, hell I had lunch with Howard, that was enough for me [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Sounds like you had a great time.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lunch with Howard is no problem. Now getting him out of bed for breakfast is another thing.

We ended up taking 4 bucks for 9 hunters including one really nice one that involved a 6 mile pack for Mike and Chic.

Jeff

posted Hide Post
Jeff I seee you made it home OK. Everyone glade to see ya home??? I really had a great time. Bunch of good guys to be with. Even having to be in the same tent with liberal Howard for a week.HAR HAR Have you given any throught about the Sage Rat Hunt with us this spring?? Jeff it was a pleasure and hope we can do it again. Take Care, Gene PS Howard says your the stinkiest person he's ever met. HA HA

Posts: 15 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just never stops. [Roll Eyes]

It was a great time. Good descriptions Jeff.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Howard We're thinking about heading your way for new years, 1st -4th. Do some quad riding and maybe alittle coyote calling. That is if your nice to me and don't call me nasty names.

Posts: 15 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a good Liberal, I will respect your feelings.

Maybe we can do a group hug!!

Sounds good to me I will plan on it. Maybe we can get Adam to come up too.

If you are nice to me I will let you shoot my Volquartsen.

[ 12-01-2003, 09:35: Message edited by: Howard ]

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know Gene I forgot about Howard mumbling in his sleep..."Oh yes Hillary baby..."

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are sick puppies. Even with that, you were all great company. I would be part of Jeff's shooting bench anytime. One of the best trips ever.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason I would ever say, "oh yes Hillary baby" [Mad] would be if I had a National Health Care Bill in one hand for bait, and a sharp gutting knife in the other.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if you had a sharp gutting knife in one hand, it would not be your knife. ROFLMAO

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote