THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    reaonable rates for shipping meat home?other than airline?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reaonable rates for shipping meat home?other than airline?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
well were lucky enough to have just but 550 acres in tx and love it. we just got back from there with 2 deer and it cost 160 bucks to fly it back with me. does anyone have any experience shipping another way? ive got 2 kids, a wife for now, they love to hunt and a ton of does that need taken. i love the meat but the does have to go and dont know what to do with it all? were in rocksprings tx. whatcha think?

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Take what your family can eat and then donate the rest to the homeless or Hunters for the Hungry or some organization like that.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I was down there twice. The first time several other hunters didn't want their meat So having a large cooler we took it off their hands. Went to a meat locker processor in San Antonio and they cut and wraped it all and sent it freezer freight to my biz in Pa. My buddy and I shared 264 lbs and it was under a buck a lb to have done. Don't ask me the name of this company cause my memory dosen't go back that far.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunters come in and heres what we do;

They all fly in via Delta, Alaska or Northwest. They are allowed TWO 50# checked bags and one or two small carry ons.

They have their meat processed , frozen solid,then we pack it in boxes to 49 or 50 pounds total. They each bring back 100 pounds as their checked luggage. The next guy checks one DOUBLE rifle case and one 50# box of meat.

They pack what clothes they can in the small carry ons. Then UPS boots,gear , etc home. Or leave some items here for next year.

My Cousin doesn't bring a rifle anymore he borrows one of mine. He just took back 150# of elk, paid extra for the 3rd box; $100 I think.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Colorado Yesterday, my processor had an advertisement for a "Caribou Freight" a ground shipper that was running about 1/3 the cost of Air freight. They ship it to a center near you and call in advance so you can drive a few miles and meet them. Don't know first hand or remember the contact info since we drive the meat back to CA but it looked like a good alternative.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lofter,
That sounds like Broadway Locker--- located just north of downtown San Antonio at 1706 Broadway. 15 min south of the airport. They upgraded their sevices about 5 years ago and do a nice job shipping meat.210-212-4861 broadwaylockers.com
Lee

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I had some Elk meat to send home from Colorado. Found, AFTER I had gotten to Denver, that the airline's cargo shipping was in Col. Springs. If I had shipped the meat from the Springs, would have cost like $75 for 150 lbs of meat, but cost me nearly $200 from Denver (plane was loading, couldn't back track) might need to check with the airline and make sure you are actually getting the CARGO section and right rate. I was told by the airlines that shipping meat from Alaska, for instance, is based less on weight than size of container, and comes to about $.30 a lb, if done right.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I just shipped off 160 lbs of processed moose meat to Georgia via UPS, total costs was................$559. My partner really, really, really likes moose meat.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote