THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: "Non-Premium" .30 Cal 180 gr Recommendation

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: "Non-Premium" .30 Cal 180 gr Recommendation
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
I agree. When it comes to elk hunting, scrimping on bullets is an exercise in reverse-economy.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
No offence intended, but, in 40 yrs. of hunting, working and living in Elk country and owning and experimenting with almost 100 different big game rifles, I have to say that NO test will give you as accurate a picture of bullet performance on Elk or any other game as will years of field experience shooting that game with various bullets.

I used to work with old-timers who had shot 70-100 Elk each-poaching for food in the dirty thirties and hunting legally- and I have shot a few animals myself; tests are fun and somewhat informative, but, dead game and autopsies are better evidence of bullet performance. Last year, a guide with 30 yrs. experience in Northern B.C. told me of tracking a cow Elk for a half mile, shot in the chest with a .375H&H-300 gr. Silvertip. I have had Elk wander off with two 250 gr. N.P.s through the lungs, they are very resilient and hardy animals.

As to the original question, I would use only Hornady flatbase bullets on Elk, of the standard bullets available and this only if I could not get Nossies, TBBCs or other premium bullets. If, you had worked in the bush as long as I did and seen as much wounded and lost game as I have-dozens-you would probably agree. I have no problem with people using an inexpensive rifle, but, a top quality bullet is critical in Elk hunting, IMO.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
If the 180 Hornady interlock works great, you got your ordinary bullet load! If not, swallow your pride, and try the 180 Nosler accubond and call it a day!

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea to recreate the old days of hunting. I'm of the opinion (please keep in mind what you're paying for it ) that as long as you don't stick a 135gr Sierra ProHunter over 80-100gr of powder you should be fine. A 180gr bullet from the three companies you list will do the trick in your 06. Trouble starts when we try to use these classic bullets in the latest big magnums.

For another avenue, I recently found some "Antique" 180gr Nosler Parititions, so old they have visible lathe turning marks on the nose. That should qualify for use in your rifle, if you can find them.

Something odd I'd like to share on this. I was playing wtih some loads for the 06. My father-in-law wanted lighter loads for plinking so I developed a load with the 125gr Ballistic Tip at about 3000fps. POI stayed consistent throughout testing, and the chosen load of 51gr H4895 gave better than 1MOA. Then I tried some heavier bullets just out of curiosity. The 168gr MatchKing and 200gr AccuBond shot to within a few inches of the 125s. Then I tried a 180gr GameKing, with which I've seen great accuracy in the WinMag. POI shifted about 18" high left. I actually missed the target frame completely and had no idea where i was hitting until I started shooting at a steel target with a sand back. Then I saw the splashes hitting way high/left.

Off topic I realize, but it shows the importance of thorough testing.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kutenaymtnboy, you have a private message.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 180 gr. Hornady Interlock or the 180 gr. Speer Mag-Tip...although the 180 gr. Nosler Partition is a "classic" bullet as well.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess who wrote this?
"Testing Bullet Performance Before Going Hunting"
-------------------------------------------------
"In speaking of bullet performance, I have mentioned the recovery box several times, but the material contained or how it is used has not been brought out. As all bullet manufacturers use some form of recovery material to check bullet expansion and penetration, ....................."

I have some chores to do but I will try to edit this post with the answer and summary later.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 180gr Hornady Spire point. I had to try some thing else.
I used the 139gr Hornady sp for 34yrs in my 7 mag. Got the 7 stw and tried the Scirocco fantastic accuracy, so I tried the Interbond and just could not get it to shoot a decent group out of that gun. Being DUMB I had bought 600 of them at a good price, and having luck on my side they were willing to take them back at the store and I got some 140gr Nos-Partitions. Other than that Scirocco, the flat base bullets shoot better in my gun than the boat tails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a like new Pre '64 Winchester .30-06 that I want to use on a cow elk hunt this Fall. I feel strange shooting some super-techno bullet in this rifle and would like to opt for a "normal" 180 gr spitzer, either Hornady, Sierra or Speer. Any recommendations out there? Also, can some of you relate to how I feel, or am I just being dumb?

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Get a box of each and use the one that shoots best.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As previously posted, buy a box of each and let the rifle decide. Any of those brands of 180 grain bullets will work just fine at 30-06 velocities.

My only recommendation would be to stick with the flat based versions. The boat tail bullets do seem to have tendancy to "slip" the jacket, that is have the lead core separate from the jacket during expansion.

Again, all those brands of 180 grain bullets will work well for your intended useage. I agree with your desire to stick with standard issue bullets in your pre-64. I am not sure we need all these new fancy projectiles, just a way to sell stuff.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Of the "regular" 180 gr. .308 bullets, I've had uncommonly good luck with Hornady both in terms of accuracy and terminal performance.

By the way, the Nosler Partition was also around when the pre-64 Model 70 was still in production, and it's my favorite of them all......

AD

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'd pick the one your rifle shoots best. I've also had great luck with Hornadys, but the comment on the PArtition is a sound one. That bullet's been around for a long time and that's the one I'd pick. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Winchester Power Points. They seemed to do very well in this test.

www.seahook.com/bestbullet.jpg

<allen day>
posted
Have you ever shot an elk with Power Points or any other bullet?

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Note that I am referencing a test. It's just a test but in my mind preferable to testing on live game. One can then compare the experiances of others to that test and conclude that say a Match King does not have the velocity range of expansion or holding together in the test.

Now I have to ask you, have you ever shot a game animal with a Match King bullet and if so did you test them on media first and go by the valid experiances of others?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Hornady's or Core-Lokt's with great success. I used one Power Point on an elk in 7 MM Mag. That's the last time I used a caliber that small on elk; the bullet was a pass through as was my partner's 300 H&H, but that bull went a long way.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Wyoming and hunted to have meat in the freezer I used the Speer 180 grain flat base Hotcor spitzer exclusively. Never a problem on elk or anything else. This bullet gives a bit better penetration than the Hornady as it opens up to a bit smaller frontal area. I shot 14 elk with this bullet and never had one loose a core and unlike the partition it never turned into a small diameter solid. Another good bullet is the 200 grain version of the HotCor. The Sierra has a much wider range of performance, different every time. The Hornady would be my second choice.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought that quote was from Hagel, I have his other two books and will get that one. He is/was my all-time favourite gun writer, without question. I was born and brought up a bit north of his stomping grounds, just on the B.C. side of the border. I wish he was still writing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed a 5x5 bull and a handfull of mulies with 180 grain hornady bullets. They performed very well. Good luck!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kute,

Hagel is also my favorite. Even though I am not a Westerner the West has had the romance of adventure. From the cowboy movies to the Rockies it's a outdoormans Valhala. The sea is as well for me however.

That quote is from page 243. My summary does not do justice at all to Bob's fine mind nor writing. He does say that at standard velocities ie 2400-2800 fps conventional bullets will work on deer and moose. That it's hitting big bones that makes the difference and there at high velocity from magnums is where they will fail. Hagel's standard is the Partition as we all know. When he gets a new bullet he sections it and can tell how it will perform. If there is any doubt he shoots it into the bullet box.

There is much more and every word should be read and mulled in the mind and enjoyed.