THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need help with an elk hunt for a handicapped hunter in NV (my uncle's "last hunt")

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with an elk hunt for a handicapped hunter in NV (my uncle's "last hunt")
 Login/Join

<BigBores>
posted
Title says it all. I need some help with this one. My uncle wants to go on "one last" elk hunt. He is 76 and just got through with a bout of cancer, major surgery got it all, but they split him open from stem to stern.

Needless to say he is not steady on his feet (but is getting stronger now). I need to find an outfitter/guide that specializes (or at least routinely guides for) handicapped hunters.

He would prefer to stay in state (lives in Nevada), for economic reasons, but I think we are going to have to go out of state for this one to avoid a lottery drawing. I think next fall is his last season whether he gets a tag or not.

I will be accompaning him on the hunt, but not as a hunter, just as an observer/assistant to help him with his physical needs. I have many more seasons left in me, so this hunt is strictly about his needs, not mine.

From talking to him about it, he would want a bull elk, but certainly not a "trophy class". Just something he can be proud of for himself.

I love this man deeply, have been closer to him than all other family except my own parents. I really want to make this happen for him, as one hunter to another hunter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's also good to be home again, he had his surgery while I was out of country, didn't hear about it until month's afterwards...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help with recommendations on guides as I'm not aware of any that cater to your particular needs.

My very limited experience with elk hunting leads me to suggest the following for tags.

1. You're right, Nevada will be very tough.
2. New Mexico has tags that can be purchased from individual land owners. Some of these are not too terribly expensive (on a relative basis).
3. In Wyoming there were several areas that "survived" the first draw and had leftover permits. You have to apply with a money order...no check to be cleared later or credit card number to be charged only if successful. This means only the serious folks apply.
4. There are numerous areas in Colorado that sell permits over-the-counter even to non-residents.

Lastly, I expect those more involved in elk hunting opportunities will chime in with better ideas than these at both this site as well as others. I would suggest you contact the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation given your circumstances.

Your uncle is very lucky to have such a nephew. I wish you nothing but luck with this trip.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
I realized that I neglected to state that I (we), are planning this hunt for NEXT fall/season. I also think this will be a rifle only hunt, he has never fired a bow or muzzleloader, and I don't think he's up to it. Something like this kind of special hunt will take a lot of pre-planning I am sure.

Along with that are several assumptions on my part that I am yet unwilling to consider. Like a last minute cancellation, health deteriorates, or worse....etc....

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
been there....done that....just make sure he's warm, well fed, and to your best, in charge of his ways........OK?

Success is not relevant....who's in charge is everything.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is a ranch hunt in New Mexico would be your best bet . Your uncle is obviously not up to packing in to any wilderness areas , and with the landowners tags there , you will not have to gamble on drawing a tag .......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should contact dwhunter on this site. He specializes in hunts for disabled vets and I'm sure he would be able to help. He's a really nice guy besides.

Good luck!

Shannon

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I can only offer you the best of luck.

Regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
Contact your local SCI chapter. SCI has a safari wish program for terminal kids. Your local chapter might be able to offer some insight as far as guides, etc for your uncle.

Good luck and God Bless!

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Contact Broadmouth Canyon Ranch at utahelkhunt.com or at 801.745.1912
Jeff

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put him in for Wyoming, if he draws I will take you and him. I am not an outfitter nor do I desire compensation. He is a hunter and if he needs help I will help. I have an area that is fairly accesible and can be hunted by vehicle or 4 wheeler. If he can draw and wants to you are welcome to come. [Smile]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The latest issue of the B&C Club's "Fair Chase" had an article by a fellow with MS who drew a Montana bighorn tag -- he used Dan Ekstrom of L-E Ranch Outfitters in the Missoula area. No personal experience but the article sure sounded as if the outfitter had worked hard to accommodate him. I'm sure there are many good ones out there ... good luck!

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a place to check also, Norm Sauaceman can help you! http://www.dhna.org/ He is a great guy!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will he be up for shouldering and firing a rifle?
If he's going with a 257 Roberts, you better bring something bigger along to back him up.
I believe this is allowed in most states with no extra fee/tag.
Figure out the logistics of the shot (from a rest, sticks, whatever will work) and practice his shot and your follow-up a few dozen times between now and then, and maybe you can work out some kinks.
Good luck!
Make sure he's hyper aware of the success rate of even non-handicapped hunters, and enjoy!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Thanks to all for the responses and emails. I have (happily) a lot of calling to do over the next couple of weeks.

Kudu, thanks for the great offer.

Bwana, I am hoping he will still be able to shoulder a 30-06 or 308 by then...my smallest elk rifle right now is a 338 win mag, which I don't think he will be up to firing. I have already been offered my fathers 308 (by my father, of course), and I am going to take a look at my uncle's old 30-06 over the holidays, and see what can be done to make it shootable (bad storage/rusty gun sindrome [Frown] ).

Worse case, I'll buy a 30-06 for him to use, then "have to" convert it to 35 Whelen (for me) later. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
BigBores,

I might be able to help find you something. Curt Kelso @ Pusch Ridge Outfitters called me the other day and they are looking at some land in NM and Curt said that the lodge was very accessible and hunts could be done to suit those with disabilities. The land has not been closed yet but I will keep you posted if you might be interested.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
dw, keep me posted if you think of it. I'm not wanting to book a "trophy" hunt. So those who are managing herds for trophy hunts, maybe could use help weeding out some "smaller" bulls? I would think my uncle would be pleased with anything in the 4-5 point range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Bores,

That is what Curt called me about, culling, cows etc. I will keep you posted.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigbores, I have a .260 remington he is more than welcome to use. If he hunts here. No recoil and shoots better than a .270.