Find
Notify
Tools

Tale of Two Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I was looking through some past SCI magazines and I read the story entitled "A Tale of Two Rifles." The sum of the story was the author was issued 2 M70's while he was stationed in Cambodia as a sniper. He took the actions with him after he left the service, had them re-barreled, and has used them ever since to hunt game around the world.

I really liked how this guy has been using the same two actions for the past 47 years to hunt 90% of his game. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience with a rifle (i.e. used it through many barrels and chamberings)? I think it will be a heck of an accomplishment if I can shoot out at least one of my rifles barrels over my life.

Anyway, just thought there was something great about this story.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the story but I shoot my "hunting rifles" year around. I know others that may only shoot their "deer rifle" 4 or 5 times a year, if that. I've a 7-08 that I bought when Remington first standardize the round that I have hunted with and used in factory matches. It's on it's second barrel. I have a 30-06 that is a candidate but it still shoots into 1.5" so I doubt that it'll get done. I have a couple of Pdog rifles that are on their second barrel.
Now a days, I doubt very many people --unless they are rich and travel the world-- shoot out a barrel shooting only at game.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love a copy of that! Sounds like a great article.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The story is in Safari Magazine Jan/Feb.2010 issue, Page 24.

Posts: 560 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some reason I can't find a web address for them. Do they have a site?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, Safari Magazine is published by SCI and is sent to members. I have a copy of this issue and will send it to you if you PM me your address. Jim

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, you're a saint!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received your address Chuck, I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
For those of you who read the article, anyone notice he had no complaints about shooting tiger, elephant, and gaur with the 30-06?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JA:
I received your address Chuck, I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

Thank you very much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a remmy 700 in 1974 that I shot for 35 year. I had a full custom built on the action in '92, and it was on it's 3rd barrel when I sold it this winter. I finally got bored with it and replaced it with a super sexy Cooper in .270.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote