Find
Notify
Tools

Rangefiners-Who Uses Them?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I don't currently own any rangefinders, but was looking at some Leica 800s at a local shop. They are light and would cover any distance I would be shooting at for sure. But my question is, how many hunters take them into the field with them and use them for every hunt where the distances are not already known. I like to keep things simple as possible and carry with me as little as possible. Are the rangefinders fun for a while and end up getting left behind after the novelty has worn off? Curious as to how many hunters wouldn't leave there trucks without them. Thanks.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Mine stay in my belt pack 100% of the time, would no more hunt without them than my binoculars. When I'm stand hunting I range landmarks as early as I can see so I know the approximate ranges when game appears. When stalking I do the same. If all your hunting is inside 100 yards you don't need them, but if you may shoot at 200-300 yards they are definately worth carrying.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never leave home without it. Wink I use a Newcon LRB binocular/rangefinder combo so it's nothing more to carry and can range while I'm glassing. I'll never go back....

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
Mine stays in my back pack. And like browningguy said, range landmarks while you have time so you have known distances. It came in handy when my son shot his doe. I was beside him and ranged it at 250, that just happens to be zero for our 308s. Really takes out the guess work...

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
Well Prewar70, I just noticed you had 308 post, just happens to be my favorite caliber. That just gave me something to post to bring my post up to the 100 mark...Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Rangefinders---just as important as taking ammo for the rifle!

I owned a Leica 900, sold it to a friend to get the Swarovski 1500. Bought the Swaro, didn't like it near as well. Took it back, got the Leica 1200. Love it. Sharp, fast, accurate, excellent glass.

I never ever hunt without a rangefinder. It's just part of the gear.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prewar,
I also carry mine most of the time...I have the Bushnell yardage pro.
Two of my friends both got high end binos and then range finders but ended up trading them and buying the Leica 10X with the range finder.

..just another thing to consider..

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Leica 1200... just got it this summer, would never be without it, ever.

Hey, that rhymes...

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Leica 1200... just got it this summer, would never be without it, ever.

Hey, that rhymes...

...only the "er" part. Wink

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
My local shop has a used pair of Leica LRF 800s for sale, condition is excellent, for $269. I can pick up a brand new pair of LRF 800s for $339. They could help pass the time sitting in a stand in South TX, guessing distance and seeing how close I am.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I have had one for 3 years now, its a Lieca 900.... Don't think I've used it more than a few times hunting though. Its just one more thing to pack that rarely gets used. With a good rifle scope and knowing how to use it as a range finder, one can range estimate pretty well or at least I can to a distance of my shooting ability... i.e. about 400 yards.

I've really had very little use for it while hunting, and it seems the style of hunting I tend to do things happens so fast that I don’t' have time to get it out and its not handy to have hanging around my neck along with my binos.

I use the chit out of it playing golf however, but I played for 20 years with out it so I was fair at range estimating anyway, but it saves me some walking to look for yard markers if I'm unsure of the yardage. Big Grin

Out of probably 75+ animals I've killed I can't think of many that where over 300 yards, most were inside 150 and I cut my teeth hunting the west and still hunt in the open terrain. Every rifle I have in my arsenal will shoot plenty flat to that range, even out to 350-400 with a 2.5-3" high at a 100 I'm still holding on fur when I pull the trigger... I'm actually thinking about selling it. I don't use it bow hunting much either. If the animal is farther than 35 yards I don't shoot anyway... again my bow is flat enough that miss judging by a couple yards out to that range isn't going to make or break the shot. I won’t get into ethics here, as we all have our own, but I’ve let quite a few decent animals walk because it was to far. Most of the time things happen too fast while bow hunting to make it useful there as well, and I don't like having it draped around my neck along with binos, and its just that much more movement that will screw you in the end!

I really bought it for antelope hunting, but the last few of them were killed inside 150 yards too... I missed a pretty fair buck because I miss judged the range. I had a new scope that I didn't have intimate knowledge (aka varmint practice shooting), and he was bedded... hit about 4" low... I figured a range finder would eliminate that mistake if a similar situation arose again, but the more I hunt the more I think I wasted my money on a gimmick as far as hunting goes...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Good to hear another side Ivan. I can see the scenario you described happening very easily which was the point of my question. I believe my Leupold 2.5-8 varix-iii has range finding capabilities. I need to take a look at that a little more closely. That's what my Dad always did with his scope. I can see hunting situations where the rangefinder would be extremely helpful and others where it would just be an extra piece of gear. PM me if you are serious about selling your 900 lrf's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting question, especially since I am going to call Cabela's and order the Swarovski 1500 rangefinder this afternoon.

I had a Bushnell 400 when they first came out. It did not work too well and I upgraded to the Bushnell 800 compact. It is fair, but will not read deer or antelope much more than 350 to 375 yards dependably.

My dad and I and a friend went to New Mexico this fall antelope hunting. Both of them had the Swarovski range finder and we had no problem ranging antelope over 1000 yards. Both of them wound up shooting antelope that they had ranged at a little over 400 yards.

As with some of the other posters, I really like to take the rangefinder with me and range landmarks when I take a stand.

We also find the rangefinders especially usefull when varminting. We shoot marmots in the high country and it really helps to know just how far they are. I killed one recently that was 514 yards, knowing the distance helped.

Same with a coyote that I shot at a measured 522 yards. It really helped to know my rifle's trajectory and the actual distance and not just a guess.

The Swarovski is a HELL of a lot of money, but I have seen nothing else to compare. The Leica models are good, but I have seen friends have problems with some of them. (Had to send them back for service.)

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
I don't currently own any rangefinders, but was looking at some Leica 800s at a local shop. They are light and would cover any distance I would be shooting at for sure. But my question is, how many hunters take them into the field with them and use them for every hunt where the distances are not already known. I like to keep things simple as possible and carry with me as little as possible. Are the rangefinders fun for a while and end up getting left behind after the novelty has worn off? Curious as to how many hunters wouldn't leave there trucks without them. Thanks.

It really depends on the type of hunting and terrain. I would let those 2 variables make the call. I have one that I use for golf but not for hunting in the Southeast. The terrain here makes it a waste of time unless you hunt on some farmers bean field and those distances can be walked off long befor season.
If I lived out West like a lot of the guys here then I would carry it with me as a needed tool.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I liked the Leica 800 so much I upgraded this year to a set of 10x42 Geovid binoculars. The laser on the Geovid works even better and I'm hooked.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If i could afford one it would be kinda neat to have--but until then i guess i will just have to use the duplex in my scope--it hasnt seemed to hinder me to much yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use one quite abit. the lecia 1200 is the way to go If one is hunting in unknow territory they are wonderful tools

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Leica 800 and "would not leave home w/o it"! I owe a 350 class NM elk to this piece of eqpt. Lasered it at 405 across a canyon and about a 45. The 300 Wby was zero at 300 and elk was DRT! The leica has much superior glass to the bush/type rangefinders. Yes, in a snow it has a hard time working, but so do I.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I use my Leica 800 almost every day hunting and I hunt every day! I some times don't need it for a shot if the critter is close but other wise I range every shot just to be sure, The judgement call at 350 -400 yds is tough and it helps to know exactly what the range is.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried a couple of rangefinders but I found that I was just using my binocs most of the time and that it was "just one more pound for stuff". This summer I purchased a Leupold bino/rangefinder. Perfect.

Very good for antelope and deer in eastern MT. I shot a nice antelope at 365 yds and the rangefinder/binoc feature was very handy since I was crawling through sage brush and around prickly-pears. Having one less thing to drag around was very helpful.

The deer, well 75 yds is a point and pull situation, but I know that the future holds some longer shots because of past experience. Even though I hunt elk in black timber jungles with a 35 Whelen there are openings and small meadows that open out to 300 yds. If the 300 plus yards shot should present itself the Leupolds would be helpful.

I think it will prove to be handy for spring bear, especially with a scoped handgun.

Being able to just press a button and get a reading, rather than find another piece of equipment, turn it on, find the animal again at a differnet magnification from the binocs...

The all in one system works very well for me.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My leica 1200 stays on my belt whenever I am hunting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, that rhymes...

...and is a sign of the times.

Hey, that rhymes too, just like you... Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leica 1200 Scan now and I take it along if the ranges are long. The thing is however that in the Northeast there are not many long ranges for big game. One can find such spots however as most of us like rifles with long range power.

I could have used one for varmints however as they are much smaller and chucks are found in the open.

The farm my son hunted on last year has some very long views and one can get shots by watching and then stalking or just looking up the drop and drift if your practice and rifle are up to it. So there we are with the last minute scouting and my kid is looking at a run off of PointBlank for the first time for his 7mm-08. I am telling him all about drift, drop and hold over etc. which must have sounded like speaking in Kants or Latin.

Know what he said? He said "I am going into the woods over there where I won't need that stuff!

I had the laser on my belt the other day and some deer were feeding about 500 yds away and there was a strong cross wind and it was 25F. That was not a shot to take and I did not laser them. Let them go is my feeling or get closer. So I snuck up and when it looks like it's 200 yds or less you don't need a finder for a modern rifle on big game. I never used the finder.

Sort of nice to have but I don't use it much.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found myself in that position and I use the rangefinder to range a tree or other object that is 300 yards from me and I can then use that tree as a point to stalk within my 200 yard limit.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a cheap rangefinder, a Nikon 440. I use it a lot bowhunting to range the distances of rocks, trees, stumps, etc, to get an idea of distances before that buck or doe appears. It isn't worth a crap trying to range a critter coming into view...too much movement when you should have your bow in hand and not the rangefinder!

I use it a little bit while rifle hunting. Mostly it is used to correct my estimates, but I do use it before making a shot. It only goes out a little past 400 yards, which I don't need anyhow, I prefer to get really close before taking an animal. This year I was ranging a buck, when another one came into view. I didn't even range the darn thing before shooting him...guess it didn't matter because he is in my freezer.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:

I have a Leica 1200 LRF Scan, and like it very much. It's fast, lightweight, and it costs half the Swaro.

Now, this is how I use mine (I hunt from a fixed location, not moving around): When I get there, I range and memorize the few locations or distances I may shoot a moose or a bear in a large open field of low growth. Once I do that, I put the range finder away.

Also, I range moose cows and calves that may happen to walk through the area, but only to practice with the "Scan" portion of the Leica range finder (the distance change as the animal moves is shown in the viewfinder).

Finally, as with most toys, I usually try the range finder often ONLY at the beginning while learning how to use it, so nowadays I use it less than 1% of the time I spend hunting, and more than 99% it is stored in my backpack. I can say the same for my spotting scope, except that I use this one at the range.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got the Swarovski model this year and took it out west with me. I found I didn't "need" it, but I sure liked having it with me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have the Leica 10x42's and they are sweet! Knowing that a trophy is at 340 instead of 220 is great. If you think you're that good at judging distance you ain't. I really like the ability to know some fixed object yardages when stand hunting, and it is sure better to know the yardage to your target if you can, it simply increases your margin of accuracy ( I like that term better than margin of error...)

The bino/rangefinder is really handy, and as some have mentioned it gives you one less piece of gear to tote.

Good Luck--
Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I usually carry one in my day pack and use it to range landmarks around the area I am hunting. I have never used it to actually range an animal I shot.

I have used it to confirm the range after the shot and really enjoy using it to show others that their claim of a 400 hundred yard shot was really 245.

I did not take mine to Namibia with me this last year and wish I had, it would have come in handy.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKJD:
I usually carry one in my day pack and use it to range landmarks around the area I am hunting. I have never used it to actually range an animal I shot.

I have used it to confirm the range after the shot and really enjoy using it to show others that their claim of a 400 hundred yard shot was really 245.

I did not take mine to Namibia with me this last year and wish I had, it would have come in handy.

lol
I know what you mean about not knowing the distance. I shot a moose two years ago with my
.338WM, and I could swear that the shot was at least 325 yards, and so I said in these forums. However, I took my Leica to the same area last year, and the "real" distance was 275 yards! After 250 yards, it's very hard to tell the correct distance.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon 800 compact and it is in my pack or in my cargo pocket in my pants. I use it in new country and to refresh my memory in known territory.

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I have the Leica ones but only really use them on targets over about 400 yards. Ranges shorter than that I tend to estimate by eye. My only criticism is that they're sometimes a little difficult to zap on a small target such as a warthog etc ..... I've also used the Bushnell ones and they seem a lot better in this respect..........

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I spared some money and bought a

Leica Geovid 8*56

I never imagined such bright binocs could exist even though I am using Swaro and Zeiss.
The rangefinder is great and is working perfectly even through the mist, an asset in the mountains.
Just weights like an anvil in the end of the day. But a Leica1200 + 1 Zeiss 10*30 are heavier.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
regardless of your brand you get what you pay for! Buy whatever brand you want use them to range around bow hunting stands and for rifle hunting open areas.They are great tools. Cool

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a $250 Bushnell. I mainly stand hunt. I use it a lot to check my guestimates at the ranges of different trees, rocks, prickly pear &etc. I'll also do the same on game animals that I'm not going to shoot. In this way, I'll know the distance when the big boy shows up. It seems to do well on deer to about 300yds or so which is approaching my self imposed limit. It might encourage me to take that 400yd shot at a feral goat or pig at 400yds if I knew the exact distance and conditions were favorable. Capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When ever I'm going to be hunting where the shot will be to any distance I take mine . That way I can range to different spots and will automaticly know the distance when I shoot.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep a Leica 1200 on my belt most of the time when I'm hunting.

I USED to think I was pretty good at estimating distances... now I know I'm not that good.

I agree with what was said earlier about "needing" one depends on terrain and the ranges you are apt to be shooting. Where I hunt ranges are long and estimating accurately may be the difference between hitting or missing or worse... wounding. Don't ask me how I know... I just do.

I shot a coues buck at 308 yards this fall... I know that because I ranged it. I honestly thought he was about 400 yards when I first spotted him. It's a small critter in BIG country. I would have completely missed him if I had held for 400 yards.

In other words... for me they're a pretty handy device.

My advice is... Get a unit that ranges twice as far as you are likely to need it because that's as far as you will get reliable readings. That's just a fact regardless of who makes the unit.

Make the first one count!

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Leupold WindRiver binocs/range finder and don't leave home without it. Quality.