Find
Notify
Tools

Places to shoot in NE Pennsylvania?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings all, and apologies since this is off topic,

I will be moving fairly soon from western NJ (yee ha!) to eastern PA, south of Stroudsburg and north of Easton, just off route 611. Thus, I would like to hear some suggestions from yall in that that part of PA on where one can do some target shooting. Mostly I like to shoot rifles and formal rounds of skeet. This month is insanely busy for me, but in October I would like to visit some places in PA on my days off during the week to see how things are. I am not doing any hunting this year (other than waterfowl in MD towards the end of the year), so if some places that are suggested are crowded with people sighting in their rifles, that is fine by me, I'll just do a recon to check them out. As I stated earlier, places that are open during the week would be best because I work two weekends out of every four, and am often off the first three days of the traditional work week. And if any of yall are thinking, "Great, we've got another Jersey clown moving to our state", don't worry. I am originally from North Carolina, have been in NJ less than a year, and have been hunting and shooting since taking Rifle and Shotgun Shooting merit badge in the Boy Scouts (Eagle with two palms), so I am not a threat to myself or others when handling fireams. Anyhow, if anyone has a favorite place to shoot that they would not mind sharing, I would greatly appreciate it. And if someone just wants to email me privately, that is fine too...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NJ is a great state to be from, I was born and raised there but would never want to go back...too crowded.
I lived in PA for a couple of years, many of state game lands have pistol/rifle ranges. You can get a list from the PA DNR. You may want to search for gun clubs also. PA is a gun friendly state. Lots of people hunt, so the public hunting areas do get crowded.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnnyreb:

Here is a link to the PA Game Commission's article on public shooting ranges throughout the state:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/huntrap/annual/range.pdf

Good luck with the move.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jonnyreb, Stroudsburg is in SE PA if I'm not mistaken. There is a really decent gun club not far from Stroudsburg. I can't think of the name of it right off the top of my head but if you ask around they'll point you in the right direction. You will be close to some great deer hunting there and some of the hunting south and east of there is in the special regs area so you can buy unlimited doe tags. I hope that you have a decent slug gun since most of that are is shotgun only or was when I last hunted there in 1999. Hope this helps. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The old Twin S range in East Greeneville(exit 32 off the N.E. extension.) Open all week, 500 yd. rifle range. About 100.00 a year member fee.

Posts: 55 | Location: DE | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Johnny,
The Peoples Republic of New Jersey would be a fabulous sportsman paradise except for the 3 million communists.

Twin S no longer is a 500yd Range. They are artsie fartsie now with clays and cowboys.

In state game land #127 (Tobyhanna) there is a very underused 100yd range. There is a 100yd range off of Rte. 209 south bound south of Stroudburg but am not sure how to describe how to get there.

Go to Main St. in Stroud and find Dunklebergers Sporting Goods. This is 1 of the bigger shops in the N.E. area. They will steer you in the right direction. I have a cabin north of Bushkill but avoid the whole town area.
ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
may be farther than you'd like to drive, but nice range, and active in many things. about $15 a year. i'm 90 minutes away and go there when i don't want the hassles of pgc ranges. dh

http://www.ontelaunee.org/

[ 09-14-2003, 06:18: Message edited by: dh ]

Posts: 33 | Location: cent. pa | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a PA Game Commision map of Game Lands #141A.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/land/maps/game_land/141A.pdf

This is part 2 of the map for gamelands 141. This is the section of the gameland that has the rifle/pistol range on it. The range is on Route 93, north of Nesquehoning. On Adobe, zoom in at 400%, follow Route 93 north, and in the middle of the gamelands, just off to the west of route 93 is the rifle range. It is shown on the map, but hard to see if you don't zoom in. It is a very well kept range, that gets quite a bit of use. It may be a bit of a drive from Easton, but it is one of the better public ranges in NE PA. The article that pagris posted lists only 3 firing points for the range on this gameland, that is incorrect info. There are 3 benches for 100yds, 1 bench for 200, 1 for 300, and 1 for 400.

Hope this helps!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents, thanks for your suggestions. I'm amazed at how thorough the Pennsylvania Game Commission's web page is. From reading it, it looks like I need to take a Hunter's Safety course to get a hunting license in PA, so I'll be attending the one scheduled in early October at the Stockertown Rod and Gun Club. Thanks again guys...

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have the Sunset Hill range just about 10 miles away from you...611 N to 715 N (in Tannersville)...715 N about 4 miles to 4 way stop sign (just after you pass the "House of Candles")...Make left at the stop sign onto 314 West...The range will be on your left about 1/2 mile up...

Posts: 25 | Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSAS, is that the range in Henryville? I saw it listed on the NRA's web page, and it is on the list of places to visit come October...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's the one Johnnyreb... [Smile]

Posts: 25 | Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote