Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AZ Mule Deer Advice
 Login/Join

posted
Being a meat hunter for the most part, I find myself in a situation in which I feel in over my head. I drew an AZ mule deer tag this year and had a friend tell me about a big buck he had seen in velvet. He couldn't pursue the buck because he drew his tag in another district. I have been out scouting about a dozen times and have seen the buck once, at about 900 yds away. My friend saw him twice earlier in the summer. He is the best buck I have ever seen on the hoof. I'm pretty sure he wasn't molested during the bow season, so I see no reason for him to abandon the area we have spotted him in. The area is cedar flats with a couple of excellent high spots for glassing. There is a substantial water tank nearby and lots of cover. My question is what tactics should I use to find him again. Do I just keep glassing and hope for him to appear at the right place at the moment I'm looking there or are there methods of drawing him out, like rattling, scents, or calls. I would appreciate any suggestions.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey there Homesick, as far as my experience with Muley's goes it is not standard procedure to hunt them like a Whitetail. Other folks may differ on opinion but scents and antler rattles are far more effective on whiteys than muleys. You need to get yourself accustomed to finding as many vantage points as you can and spend lots of time behind some good binoculars and a spotting scope. If your area is dry then water is a good attractant and watch it closely, if your area is hunted during or near the rut then does are the attractant. Muleys when not responding to the above two methods can be found to be fairly predictable when moving to and from their feeding and bedding areas. Feeding areas must have the areas predominant feed whether it be acorns in the oaks or certain brush browse that is the local favorite, locate and watch the edges of these areas in the vicinity where the buck lives. Find good bedding areas nearby that have vantage areas that the deer can watch from while bedded and adequate cover to protect him from predators, prying eyes, wind and weather. Keep in mind "nearby" can mean a mile or so in the west, usually further away than a whitey beds from his food source. Once these two areas are located and you can confirm his presence by the large tracks in these areas then stake out these spots from a good distance and patiently glass for him till you spot him then figure out a way to get to him for the ambush. If you flush him watch and see what his escape route is and where he heads for safety. Most "big" muleys are not killed by luck but by huge amounts of time spent doing exactly what I described above, don't be afraid to put in the time.
Good Luck..

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of DeerNut.com
posted Hide Post
Excellent advice! I'd spend all your time sitting on your butt. They say good hunters wear out the seat of their pants before the soles of their boots. If you get more than half way through the season and still haven't found him, look at a topo map and see where the heavy cover and rough terrain is and see if you can walk slowly through it into the wind. With the activity of the deer season he will be in heavy cover. He didn't get that big standing around in the open. Check out my new book from Texas A&M University Press: "Deer of the Southwest" for more info on deer movements and a whole host of other things you'll be interested in.

JIM
www.deernut.com
BenOttoPubs@aol.com

Jim Heffelfinger
Wildlife Biologist & Author
www.deernut.com
BenOttoPubs@aol.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
In my experince in AZ deer hunting, the only sure way to see a good Mule deer buck is to be drawn for Coues Deer and vice versa - the same goes for bull Elk - you need a deer tag in you pocket.

jumping

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would definitley glass, glass, glass. Then glass some more!

Jim's book (mentioned above) is excellent for anybody hunting mule deer especially in AZ.

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Riodot, that is so true.... Few years ago had a deer tag and saw so many elk up in unit 9 that it made us go back the next year with a cow tag... Saw one, shot one, someone else picked her up before we got to her Mad..

Last year we drew elk in unit 9 again... In the 10 days we were there we saw 5 elk, 2 bulls and 3 cows... The cows spooked when my partner moved in the potato chip leaves but we must've seen 50 or 60 mule deer while we were there... Just enough to drive you nuts..

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of DeerNut.com
posted Hide Post
I brought this one home Friday. My secret has been exposed.....I carry an old unfilled Coues tag in my pack and my MD tag in a ziplock. They can smell the Coues tag and are caught off-guard!

Jim Heffelfinger
Wildlife Biologist & Author
www.deernut.com
BenOttoPubs@aol.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Very nice Deernut.... Looks like the grill is going to be working overtime this weekend Big Grin..

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
It's been about 8-9 years since I hunted AZ mule deer but IIRC the rut peaks about Christmas day in AZ. This info came from a long time AZ wildlife biologist/game warden. The 4 years I hunted AZ was the winter archery hunt. I don't know anything about the rifle season. But I think spending as much time with your eyes glued to binos and a spotting scope is some of the best advice you can receive. Other than that, find good vantage points and get VERY comfortable.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeerNut.com:
I brought this one home Friday. My secret has been exposed.....I carry an old unfilled Coues tag in my pack and my MD tag in a ziplock. They can smell the Coues tag and are caught off-guard

animal jumping animal

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote