Notify
Tools

Re: How far to lead a running deer.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Onefun,
The idea is to combine the shotgun and rifle disciplines by always shooting the deer when it is in the air.
As in Bounce...Bounce...Bounce...Bang!
Russ

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
"...but i can tell you that a very fundamental and important rule is to FOLLOW THROUGH as and after you pull the trigger..."

Funny enough, I don't subscribe to this theory. That is "come from behind, pass through, continue going as you pull the trigger."

I just aim a certain distance ahead of whatever I am shooting at, taking into consideration how fast they are going, and just yank the trigger.

I've had a very high percentage of success this way, both in hunting and on the trap field.

When I was in Texas, I won the Rookie of the year, the Texas State Championship, then the Champion of Champions - this againt all the Champions from all the States, the Doubles Championship of the United States, and made the All-American Trap Team.

The best part was I used my middle finger to shoot with!!??

So do whatever works for you.

Posts: 67433 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday after three and a half days of hunting I finely got a chance to shoot a deer. With my friends pushing and two of us blocking I shot at a large doe running about 125yrds to a right angle from me (I had to wait for it to be a clear shot). I shot at the front of the deer and hit at least one deer length behind her. I tried one more shot with the same results. Ten minutes later three more deer took off running, and I shot two of them about 100yrds but at less of an angle about 45 degrees and hit both. After I had located the two deer we looked for the first one I had shot at and found no blood or deer after about an hour search.
I was using a 300 Win Mag with 150gr BT and max charge at about 3300fps I thought if the shot was placed at the front of the deer it couldn�t out run the bullet but I was mistaken. I shoot most of my deer standing or walking not running, and only running when it is safe to do so.

How far does one need to aim in front of a running deer?

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DKing, that was way too high-tech for me.

I take few running shots, but subscribe to the modified-Saeed method. My brain takes in what my eyes see, my experience does a mach-speed calculation, I put the crosshairs in front of him, or on him, and I pull. I try never to hold on him and THINK. Make your decision and pull the trigger. I don't believe in the come from behind, pull, follow through method, but I can see how some people would that hunt with a shotgun. I don't use that method to shoot birds, and I'm good with a shotgun.

Shooting running-game is like Christmas, I'm always surprised. Sometimes I'm happy with the results, sometimes I'm not, but I'm always surprised.

Posts: 13812 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Saeed & everyone thanks for your suguestions. I didn't come from behind shoot and follow through. I believe that was most of the problem. It is not a shot I get to practice, but if I get another chance I will sure try your suggestion. My Win 300 Mag kicks a lot more than the 30-06 I use to have but I wanted a gun big enough to hunt any big game I was going to eat.

Its funny but my father told me the same thing.

BTW I am useing a 6.5 x 20 Leupold scope

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How far to lead a running deer? How long a leash you have on it?

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shout "MAW" many deer will stop or slow to a walk. I always yell at them when they are running.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote