New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Elk relocation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody got any stories, complaints, praise for the program??

Mike

------------------
Victory Through Superior Firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are going great guns in Wis. Should have a limited hunt. In about 5 years.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the program is great. We send elk from Utah back East and we get Turkeys in return.

But it is all coming to an end with the CWD worries. I'll open a Can-of-Worms and say that the Domestic Elk Ranching is the reason for stopping future transplants.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
<centerpunch>
posted

[ 06-15-2002, 02:09: Message edited by: centerpunch ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
In North Dakota they round them up, killing over 10% in the process and ship them to some other state where they eventually get to hunt them. There's a lot of controversy over the program in this state because an elk tag here is a once in a lifetime draw. It doesn't seem fair that they're killed by the round up or sent out of state to be used by other hunters. The problem is they're rounded up out of the Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park; so hunting them there is not allowed.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worry some about them spreading that chronic wasting disease Eastward faster than it's already spreading.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wish Virginia would get the stick out of it's butt and reintroduce the Elk. I know some have wandered over from KY, and have been legaly shot as deer in VA(another dumb desicsion by the VDGIF)

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
Here in WA State the Govt. lets the local native americans hunt were nobody else can. They wiped out almost all the elk in some areas.Then the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife goes out and darts 20 elk from 2 different areas losing 5-6 elk at each site to replace the ones that got wiped out. Is this fair? Fuzz

<JOHAN>
posted
HI

If you have too many? Let me know soo I can send you my address. Real Elk comes to Sweden! I would love to have some.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Johan

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to start introducing them into Sweden; I'd like to go there to hunt them, and just look around a little.

Tom

Posts: 14421 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<jeremy w>
posted
What is the range of the european stag? Aren't they near Sweden?

<leo>
posted
Jeremy, I believe the european stag/red deer is pretty much everywhere in europe where they have proper habitat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With Europe already having the red deer, which is basically the same species as the elk we have here, why would you want to introduce our rocky mtn. elk into Sweden? Seems that would cause all kinds of problems.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's go PA, KY, VA and other US hunters what is your take on the situation??

Mike

------------------
Victory Through Superior Firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only thought is that that money may have been better spent on protecting habitat in states where wild elk already exist, either through buying property outright or through conservation easements.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great...but if I'm allowed to make light of this, I could only imagine a La. "good ol' boy" half awake in his deer stand at twilight in the morning when a horse-sized "deer" with five foot antlers crosses his shooting path. Someone would have to bring a shovel to get the brass off him!

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote