Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USDA ban
 Login/Join

posted
With very little press coverage, our hysterical USDA has banned the importation from Canada into the US all meat and other products derived from herbivores in Canada. This is the result of the one, apparently isolated, case of BSE in a cow in Alberta has led to this extension of the ban from just beef to all herbivores. This includes deer, elk, moose, caribou, goat, and sheep. I am surprised the Canadian gov. is not screaming about the overreaction on behalf of the many outfitters and others that benefit from the influx of US hunters. Maybe I am the only one upset about this, but I have posted this on several boards and no one seems to notice. Some caution with the BSE and TSE problem is prudent, but this ban is overkill.
Solon.

Posts: 3 | Location: Shaftsbury, VT | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, its a big deal out here in the west but it seems the Feds are more preoccupied with making same sex marriages legal than something that costs the Canadian economy millions a day.
60% of our Beef is export, like you said they went out 3 rings deep to find another one and they can't.
Its sad when the provinces are going to Washington to try and resolve this when its clearly a Federal trade issue.
Oh well, the sooner JC is gone the better.

Posts: 140 | Location: Saskatoon | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Just heard on the news that the ban is still in effect essentially cause Japan and SKorea said they would block US beef exports to those markets if the border was opened again.
The US is very motivated to open it up again except for these 'issues' with the Asian countries.

Later

Posts: 140 | Location: Saskatoon | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote