Find
Notify
Tools

My Couse deer today.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
Well headed out to day, yesterday was the opener for the second season deer season here on Ft Huachuca. Yesterday all we saw was 5 does. So this morning we headed into another area. We got there a little after 6 and parked the truck and started glassing the hills when it was light enough to do so. I spotted 3 does and couldn't put any horns on them. So I look to opposite side of the draw and I spot 4 does onthe hillside. I told my buddy he looked with the binos and said look about 50 yards above them there are some more. So I looked all I could make out was 4 more does. So he kept looking then he goes there is one by itself coming down the hill. So I look through the binos and I tell him it is a buck. So we get a game plan hop in the truck and drive down the road, this buck was in the rut he was chaising doe's. We stopped got out of the truck and got the range finder out and it was 401yds. I told my buddy earlier if we saw one he would get the first shot. I got the deer in my scope and the deer was about to go over the ridge. So I asked my buddy do you have him in your scope and he said no! So I put the crosshairs dead center behind his should and let the first shot go. Shot over him. So I chamber another round and hold on him again this time he goes down. But he is still trying to go. So I shoot again then he disappears behind some bushes. My buddy said he is down. So we take off up the hill and we thought we were in the right spot we looked and looked but couldn't find anything. So he suggest I head back down the hill and go to where I shot the deer from and guide him to the spot were we last saw him. I get down there an we are way off. So I get him going in the right direction. So I get the truck, and drive down the road and get out and head straight up where my buddy is at. I'm looking as I go up I get 3/4 up the hill and I thought I saw horn pulled up my rifle just a bush. So I kept going and loooked again and there he was staring right me. All I could see was his head. So I figure I get closer and shoot him in the neck I take two steps and son-of bitch is up and running, I fire two time and nothing I'm thinking shit, there is nothing worse than a three legged deer as we all know they can cover some country. I take off after him and I see him but he is behind a tree nothing but limbs. He takes off down the hill, I figure I work to the side and catch him when he was in the open at the bottom of the hill. So I'm running to the side of the hill then he jumps back up. He didn't head straight down I put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder and let him have it. I was using a 6.5-284 built on a 98 Mauser it has 26inch Pac-Nor stainless steel barrel and Leuopold VAR X II 3x9. The load was 54gr IMR-4350 using Federal 210 primer and winchester brass sized down no trimming. For the bullet I was using Nolser 120gr Ballistic tips. Here is a picture oh yeah the 1st shot hit him in the hind QTR. That BT penetrated almost 8 inches broke the bone in the hind end and ened up in the abnominal area. The hind QTR was not completely lost. The second shot was right behind the shoulder went clear through and destroyed the lungs. Don't forget these deer are small mine weighed a whopping 86 lbs

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I told you should use a 338 WM on those wild AZ deer.

Sounds like you had a good day though.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your hunt! Seeing your pics gets me fired up for my trip to Sonora next month.

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at these pictures gives me hope.
I checked out this thread and the one with mule deer . This is a good buck
At the end of the month I am hunting in Chihuahua ,it will be Mule Deer and Coues I am hoping to take at least a 100" coues and 170-180
Mule Deer.

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. The last Coues I killed was in 1995 north of Tucson on Mt. Lemon. Makes me want to go back.

That is awsome.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great Coues, with a great story. However based on your story (no offence intended) it seems your deer was a bit out of your shooting range for your skill level.

Gordy
FBM:Hunters Helping Hunters
www.hhh-usa.org
LM:NAHC
Mbr:TRCP

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
No offense taking, considering I was sitting on my ass trying to get a steady shot with my elbows resting on my knees I was also shivering pretty good cause it was cold out about 30 degrees out. From the picture I do not use a bi-pod and I probably need to put a 4x12 on my rifle to.

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
323, congratulations on your buck. At least you were diligent in your follow up and put him down for good! Those guys are tough to get on, and make a small fast target too!

Happy Christmas--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Good story thanks for sharing.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Nice Deer Congrats
Good going for you to keep up till you got him.

I have had a few that wouldn’t cooperate: The biggest deer I ever shot “at†was only about 10ft away but I was up a tree and couldn’t turn around. I pointed, missed, my gun jammed, the tree limb I was standing on broke, and I fell on my arse it was one remember-able hunt. That deer was kind of the fish that got away he gets bigger every time I think about it. Big Grin

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote