New
Find
Notify
Tools

folding bone saw?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a *Kershaw 2550 Folding Saw Knife* *Model Number: *KER 2550 Premium Swedish saw steel blade Santoprene molded handle Push button safety lock Includes lanyard hole Blade- 7in. (17.6cm) Overall- 16in. (40.6cm) weight- 6.4oz.

My question is:
Is 7 teeth per inch too course for cutting elk bone in the field to get the meat to fit on the pack board?

TIA

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just looking at the blade in your picture I think it will work fine.

I use the Gerber saw that has a wood blade and a bone blade.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc -

i don't use a saw anymore, as i don't split the pelvis and carry a stout enough knife to punch my way through the breastbone.

but if did, yours looks like it would be a good one.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used folding (wood) saws to cut bone - teeth were very similar to the ones on your saw. They work a treat in terms of speed of cutting. Because the teeth are so coarse, they may not be as delicate as a true bone (or metal) saw might be.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I use a Gerber wood saw that looks like a tube and the blade slides out. You can lock the blade partially out which helps doing close in delicate work or just extend it the full 6" or 7" and go to town. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thekkcc

That looks like a rebranded SANDVIK Bahco 396 Lap Laplander folding saw and if is, its an excellent bit of kit.

As Mike suggests, the teeth are a touch on the course side, but having used one to open the rib cage on a couple of Red deer, they work very well indeed.

In fact, its far better that the teeth are a touch too course as if they are too fine as say found on a hacksaw blade, tend to clog up too easily when used on bone..

Regard,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
7 teeth per inch too course

I've used one like that and it works fine.

Using it kinda sounds like a Civil War field hospital without the screaming.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I use a 7 tooth per inch saw on large whitetail deer and it works just fine, I think yours will be OK for elk. Good luck.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote