Find
Notify
Tools

ONE WORLD ONE GUN
 Login/Join

<FAINA>
posted
hi hunters,
if you would hunt all around the world with one gun, witch would you use: type, caliber (or calibers), slights and why???
Thank all ciao
Faina

<allen day>
posted
Faina, I'm sorry, but I don't have any refreshing new insights on this subject.

If I have to choose just one rifle for hunting all of the world's big game, I'd pick a rifle I already own: It's a .375 H&H built on a Model 70 Winchester action by D'Arcy Echols & Company of Millville, Utah, U.S.A. It's complete with all worthwhile options, including sturdy, highly visible open sights plus detachable scopemounts and two Leupold 1.75-6X scopes - each in its own set of rings. This rifle is perfectly balanced, quick and easy to handle, highly accurate, and absolutely dependable.

The .375 H&H cartridge speaks for itself, and I've used it on everything from African steenbok and common eland to North American elk and grizzly. It's one of the few cartridges that has likely been used to conveniently and safely take all of the world's big game, it's ammunition is widely available, and it's a superbly design, well-balance cartridge that's easy to shoot.

For the fun of it, I'd love to name other cartridges instead of the .375 H&H, but I can't come up with any that represent a more practical option based on your parameters.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen put it very well. For shootability, availability, power, and trajectory it is hard to improve on the venerable .375 H&H. Other cartridges may have advantages in parts of the equation but the .375 brings the whole package together. Mine is a Model 70 Safari Express topped with a Leupold Vari-XIII 1.75-6X in Talley QR mounts. Not quite as nice as Allen's Echols but she is my baby.

Jeff

[ 06-28-2002, 17:20: Message edited by: Skibum ]

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have to along with the others - 375H&H. In a Sako of course.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
FAINA,

My choice will be a .338 win mag with a 3-9X40 scope Swarovski or Zeiss. This can covert all hunts in any shooting distances.

Rifle Blaser R93 with a offroad stock.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like short-actions so my answer is my Lazzeroni 9.53 (.375) Hellcat. Fits in a .308-length acition and will provide 2550 fps with a 300gr Nosler Partition. McMillan action, Schneider barrel, Vais muzzle brake, Swarovski 1.5x6x42mm ProHunter scope, Leupold Dual Dove-Tail mounts, McMillan stock, metal work NP-3 coated by Robar. Go anywhere and shoot anything!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
As an added thought, what are the top five calibers the world over in......availability and popularity.....and in what order? How would we find out what they are?

one of us
posted Hide Post
In "my world," since I am not interested in hunting around the world, I would use the same cartridge I use now, a .338WM with a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x.

But if I had enough money for another rifle, it would have to be a D'Arcy's "Classic" in .338 Winchester Magnum, with the same type of scope. It would set me back about $7,000, but that's not a problem when you have the money...right?

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting around the world is rather unlikely for me, however, I would select the rifle I currently use. It is a pre-64 M70 375H&H, McMillan stock, bedding by DGS, 3x9x40 Zeiss, Talley bases & rings, Talley rear peep, NECG up front.

Accurate, easy to shoot, durable, reliable, and ammunition is readily available. I've been shooting this rifle for years so the trajectory is very familiar and the bullet goes where I point!

Regards,

Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Only 1 gun--what a nightmare! .416 Taylor or .375 H&H--Win Model 70.
Good Hunting (and preferably with several different guns!),
Andy

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
A 9,3x62 would do the job. Equipped with a 1-4x24 and a 8x56 scope, both made by Kahles.
The rifle would of course be Swedish made, to guarantee good quality and reliabilitySmiler
The make would be Carl Gustaf.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always hate these "one gun questions" anyone who can hunt around the world could afford at least 2 or 3 GOOD rifles. Even most places will let you bring 2 rifles... But to answer the question for me, a double rifle in 375 Flanged with a QD scope mount would be the most logical choice, [Smile] but a 450/400 with a QD scope would be highly considered also. [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No one who could afford to hunt the world would have only one rifle. There is no way any gun nut would subject himself to such torture either! [Wink]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Assuming one would be hunting extensively all over the world, I concur that the 375 is pretty close to optimal for the one-gun hunter in a wide variety of situations including lots of large and potentially dangerous animals. My favorite rifles in that caliber include a pre-64 M-70 which I use mostly, an early Whitworth Express and a customized Brno ZKK-602. Most of the time, however, I prefer a rifle I can carry more easily, shoot very accurately and still have complete confidence in. That rifle is a Brno ZG-47, caliber 30-06, with a Leupold 6x in Talley detachable mounts for a quick switch to open sights.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FAINA,

You said one rifle but you also said calibers

So for a different twist on this type of thread, what about a rifle in a 300 Magnum and a separate barrel in 375. Now the 375 would be just in case you were stuck with legal requirements in Africa.

But if you were OK to shoot with the 300 from a legal point of view, Allan Day has proven that for a few shots the 300 Winchester with Failsafes was more than OK for Cape Buffalo.

So pick one of the 300 Mags, whether it be 300 H&H, 300 Win, 300 Wby or 300 Ultra would be a personal choice. However the 300 H&H would be ideal as it will be perfectly set up for feeding etc with a 375 H&H barrel.

If the choice was to be 300 Wby, then 375 Wby for the backup barrel and obviously 375 Ultra for the backup barrel if the 300 Ultra is chosen.

I dare say that if you shot all over the world and for all the game and conditions that were present, then most people would have better results with a 300 Magnum than they would with a 375 H&H.

If scopes were set up in detachable mounts, then the barrel chaning would be very simple if required and I think the barrel change would only be needed if legal requirements dictated the change.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
9.3x62 as good as the .375 with less shoulder punch. That would be the "large" caliber rifle the must have 22 would be next. The 9.3x62 would be a polished CZ or one built off a Mauser action. The 22 would be a Kimber off course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me the answer is easy my Sako TRG-S 375 H&H. It has taken everything from a red flanked duiker in Cameroon to a moose in Alberta.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a Sako 75 in 308win. It will rule out some game but I need my 308. I kind of recoil sky too.

I'd go for a Zeiss scope in 1.5-6x42 or simulare. I would't bother about open sights at all.
A good steel mont without any fancy stuff like QR.

Johan

[ 06-29-2002, 17:38: Message edited by: 308winchester ]

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You said one 'gun'

Okay a custom drilling. Double 12 ga over 375 H&H rimmed version( or whatever it is)

Or even one of those 4 barrelled bochsduppverlingey thingy's ( [Big Grin] ) with 375/375/12ga/22hornet(or euro equivalent)
And one of those detatch claw mount scope things(you can see I'm out of my depth here [Smile]

Ready for winged game too.

Karl

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid in the States and never knew whether I would grow up to be able to afford more than one gun (obviously hunting around the world was out of the question) I bought the .308 Win.

If I were in that position today I would buy the .300 WSM, which I have.

I haven't developed an interest in hunting dangerous game. I prefer to hunt game I can hunt often, and eat. Anything bigger than a .300 WSM would get very little action.

Posts: 13872 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen Day clearly knows of what he speaks. I called Allen as a reference before I ordered a .300 Win Mag Legend from D'Arcy Echols. It will be scoped with D'Arcy's recommendation of a Leupold Vari-X III 3-10x40mm. That rig will cover anything I'm interested in. So that's my one gun for everything. Like the above poster, I don't have an enormous interest in dangerous game, and if I decide to try a Buff hunt, I'll rent one for the occasion. (Unless I get hooked. Then I'll order another Legend in .375H&H from D'Arcy. [Wink] )

[ 07-01-2002, 07:13: Message edited by: Wayne Nish ]

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will go with Waynes reply. I am fond of my .300 Win. Mag. If i could only own one rifle it would be the one. I would rent something bigger if I needed it.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I think I would be a little different if I could only have one gun. Say it was for the reason that it was all the law would allow and money is not the object. I would have D'arcy Echols build me a Win model 70 chambered in one of the .458 wildcats. The .450 Vincent Long sure looks good. I would only shoot handloads!!! Every head of big game that I have shot to date has been with handloads so why change now. I could make one of the .458's do a credible job as an all around rifle. Might have to alter some of my hunting style. Like limiting the ranges to 300 yards or so.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
45-70 Guide gun, ok it is actually in the running but like the others I'd be torn between that .375 H&H or a .338 win Mag. If it was the H7H cartridge I'd use the CZ 550 Safari. The .338 would see Savage FSAK dutysythetic and stainless. But these are my factory rifle choices.Not sure who I'd pick for a custom. DRC if it's the Marlin guide gun for sure.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<FAINA>
posted
Hi Mike, Hi hunters,
Yes I say also CALIBERS why you can prefer a combination gun or (and this would be my choise) a DRILLING gun. The sourprise for me is that most of you would hunt with a .375 Holland rifle. Sure this is a good caliber for large game but if you want to hunt in the wood you need an short, handy gun, so I prefer a good DRILLING (Zoli mg 92) in 12/12 ga and 9,3x74R. Maybe it's not the best gun for very large game but it will do it's job.
ciao
FAINA