New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laws on pre-season calling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know that Kentucky has a law stating no out of season calling of elk. Do any other states have such a law for elk, moose, or other big game that can be called effectively? Thank you and Happy New Year.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know in CO you can pretty much call anytime you want but if there isn't a season open you better not have a gun or bow while you're doing it.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a new one on me, as I've never heard of any state having such a law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that calling in Rocky Mountain National Park here in Colorado will get you into a bunch of trouble. I believe you are fine in the National Forest or on private land.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Illinois you aren't allowed to call turkeys for three weeks before the spring season.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
New Mexico does have a vaguely worded law against harassing wildlife, which I suppose could be used by a conservation officer to cause you grief for calling outside of an established season for which you have a license.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I think I can call anything up here I want, any time I want and with any firearm in my hands I feel like.

Getting caught taking any of that game by the warden would leave the caller with a serious owwie. Further, I don't think you can get away with calling something like a moose or bear out of season and then get away with killing it in self defense no matter how many holes the animal put in you.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote