New
Find
Notify
Tools

16 Point Whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just read in the paper about a hunter in Ontario who shot a 16 point deer . He went over to where he shot it and it was a doe with a rack. Maybe its the world record hermaphrodite.

RR

Posts: 227 | Location: West Central Sask | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Jamie Lee Curtis still has the record hermaphrodite rack

I read an article detailing research by some G & F department in the US and they found a particular area where up to 7%(I think) of the deer there were hermaphrodites.

The turkey I shot this spring was a 17lb hen with an 11 1/4 inch beard - and nubs/spurs. I thought something was a little strange as her head wasn't bright blue or red when she came by. I clearly identified a beard, and I blasted her. You hear about this quite a bit with turkeys, but I wonder how prevalent it is among deer.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Actually, Jamie Lee Curtis still has the record hermaphrodite rack;
Man don't tell me that!

------------------

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
Actually, Jamie Lee Curtis still has the record hermaphrodite rack;
Man don't tell me that!

Sorry, that's been the rumor for a long time. I know, I know....

<Don G>
posted
Sheesh, I won't be able to sleep for a week!

Don

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Actually, that lovely woman is a case of testicular feminization. Although she is externally a perfect female, not a hermaphrodite, she is an XY (male) chromosomally, not an XX (female).

Some endocrinology professor told me this somewhere along the way, so I cannot cite a reference on it.

We all start off as females embryologically. At some point the gonads decide to become testicles and start the process of masculinization. In a testicular feminization case, the gonads of the XY individual go on acting like ovaries instead, and a perfect though sterile female can develop.

She is quite a babe nevertheless.

Hyenas suffer a deficiency in aromatization of sex steroids, on a biochemical level. They have trouble making female hormones, but they are able to make some. That is why the female hyenas look like hermaphrodites routinely, I believe. I am no expert on this, though that old endocrinology professor was. Yeah, he was kind of wierd too. He found this stuff fascinating.

------------------
Rifles And Bullets r us: RAB

<JK>
posted
How did that info get out on Jamie Lee Curtis? Well, if she's externally a perfect woman........I don't think anyone of us is going to kick her out of bed!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JK:
Well, if she's externally a perfect woman........I don't think anyone of us is going to kick her out of bed!

As long as her beard doesn't tickle yer nostrils?

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing what you can learn on AR.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you see a picture of it? I have seen pictures of several antlered does, and without exception, they all had spindly, mis-shapen racks, even though a couple had a decent number of points -- not 16 though.

Just curious.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell with the deer........Jamie Lee Curtis!!!! Really!!! More information Please.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Wolverine>
posted
It is a widespread rumor. As far as I know, it has not been verified with any credible evidence.

I would like to know how that professor got a hold of her medical records.

[This message has been edited by Wolverine (edited 11-28-2001).]

<R. A. Berry>
posted
I have no other information on this. I would rather just think of the anatomically perfect female aspect of it. Just put it to bed. Pun intended.

------------------
RAB