Find
Notify
Tools

The most dangerous
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I have heard about 10 different stories from very good hunters what are the 5 most dangerous animals on the earth to hunt. Please list 5 of them in your opinion. #1 being the most dangerous...Thanks Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
#6. Cape Buffalo
#5. Hippo
#4. Rhino
#3. Lion
#2. Elephant
#1. Your wife if she catches you cheating (you won't be hunting her, she will be hunting you)

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BHW:
#6. Cape Buffalo
#5. Hippo
#4. Rhino
#3. Lion
#2. Elephant
#1. Your wife if she catches you cheating (you won't be hunting her, she will be hunting you)

I haven't hunted most on your list and haven't seen an elephant or hippo in the wild, but I would think polar bear would have to be in the top 5.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are my candidates:

1. Hunting great white sharks with a spear gun.
2. Eles, lion, leopard or buff with a bow without a rifle backup.

For a rifle hunter with PH backup:

1. Trying to take a tuskless cow, tusked cow or bull elephant out of a cow herd.
2. leopard
3. lion
4. cape buff
5. bull elephant

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just in my opinion and from my limited experience I would guess the following. I have shot all the below but never have I been in a real life threatening situation with any of these.

1.) Elephant. They scare the crap out of me anyway.

2.) Hippo. They kill quite a few folks every year in Africa and you really can't do much to protect against them when on the water.

3.and 4.) Leopard and lions. If you wound one they will fight back. A leopard will shred you and a lion can just flat crush your head.

5.) Cape buffalo and the big bears. I think they will all lay in wait if they can when wounded and then hammer you.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
quote:
Originally posted by BHW:
#6. Cape Buffalo
#5. Hippo
#4. Rhino
#3. Lion
#2. Elephant

I haven't hunted most on your list and haven't seen an elephant or hippo in the wild, but I would think polar bear would have to be in the top 5.

I agree!!

Anything that considers man as a lower part of the food chain and will hunt them, has to make the top 5 - Polar Bear is in there for sure.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having not hunted any of the listed dangerous game except perhaps other than the double breasted bed thrasher on a catch and release program. I did have a friend that hunted quite a bit in the north country and told me when I questioned him on hunting polar bears said "there are two things on the ice polar bears and food", and you ain't a bear.
So I guess a polar bear must be in the running.
lol

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was having a wonderful conversation w/ a fellow club member last night who is an internationally renowned sporting clay instructor and safari leader. Lord knows how many African game animals he has taken. I was trying to talk him into writting a book about his adventures ala "Capstick", and he laughed saying that someone needed to write a book about all the hilarious things that happen on safari. He told me several great stories about Cape buffalo, lion and elephant. One thing he said about Cape Buffalo was they were just bovine.... until you put a hole in them. I hope I can talk him into a book as we can't live forever and he has so many wonderful adventures to share.

As far as most dangerous goes, don't count out the grizzly.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ph's in Zimbabwe think that the hippo is the most dangerous, and by statistics it accounts for more deaths than elephant or cape buffalo.
To hunt or just plain dangerous? As for deaths and injuries I would say this list.

Hippo
Cape buffalo
Moose/cow with calf at side
Elephant
Grizzly/sow with cubs

To hunt:
The Big five including the Hippo!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard any number of times that hippos kill more people than anything else other than the Mosquito or Tetse fly.

And right behind the hippo is the Croc.

Followed by the generalized "poisonous snakes"
(usually of unknown species)

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most dangerous animal is the one you are not prepared to deal with either mentally or physically.

Running into a sow grizz with cubs while hunting blue grouse, armed with a 20ga and a pocket of medium velocity #5's, very not fun...

Hell, there is a bowhunter every year or so up here that finds out the hard way that bow hunting for elk during the rut can be VERY dangerous, especailly if that $40 dollar can of bear spray is still in camp...

Trying fending off a cow moose with a 4 weight fly rod...

A rabid racoon in a cabin at night will get ALL your attention, especailly if you left your 22 pistol at home...

There are lots of nasty things that can "just go wrong" for no real reason, but dangerous animal stories often involve a serious "error in judgement" by one or more of humans involved.

Lots of cape buffalo (substitute grizz, brown bear, lion, leopard, etc an even the occational deer or moose) go to the big meat locker in the sky each hunting season with little fanfare other than making sure the lens cap is off the camera. Bad shot placement, poor bullet and/or caliber choise and it's story time.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the US: Grizzly (brown, Kodiak, etc.), but not necessarily while hunting.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"5 most dangerous animals to hunt"

Hippos kill a lot of villagers going to the river for water and tourists getting too close to take pictures. But how many HUNTERS armed with big guns and alert to the danger get killed by them?

Elephants are quite large and a hunter can approach and make his shot without being "surprised" by the big things. So how many prepared hunters get flattened by Elephants?

Grizzlies will attack a bear hunter before or after it is shot.

Probably more hunters fall out of their tree stands and die while hunting white-tails than all other hunting deaths.

I remember many years ago OUTDOOR LIFE did an series of articles "MOST DANGEROUS GAME" I don't remember the all the critters and their order but I "think" it was Cape buf #2 and lepard #1

Robin

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In New Zealand; my wife, Gee you should have seen her out on the paddock last night throwing bales of hay aroung like they were made from clouds. True honest!
wave

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to know two house painters in Toronto named Frank and Dave who specialized in bored housewives. They were very aggressive in their work and competed with each other. Sometimes they took turns.

Frank had a tendancy to fall asleep after he was done and as a result showed up for work a couple of times with black eyes and a broken nose. And in one case he had to change his address.

Dave was smarter and he always made sure there was a sturdy drainpipe running to the ground floor just outside the bedroom window. Once however, he got careless and had to spend the night standing upright in a closet.

I would say those guys lived about as dangerously as anyone I ever met.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Yellow Bellied Marmot
2. Red Breasted Nuthatch
3. Blue Footed Boobie
4. Aardvark
5. Pine Squirrel

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dunno about the rest, but #1, Redheads! Easily the most dangerous quarry hunted by man.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You forgot grizzleys and polar bears and tigers.I know the last two are not hujnted hardly any more but they are pretty wicked also.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo get my vote. They have no weaknesses, cannot be stopped in a charge except by killing them. Bears can be anchored with a shoulder shot that breaks it, cats are too thin-skinned to soak up any lead. Hurt an elephant or a rhino with a shot and they will turn tail and run. Cape Buffalo..."they look at you as if your owe them money". Robert Ruark.

you shoot a buff and mess up, one of you is going to get killed...and rather quickly.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 RedHeads Razzer
#2 Brunettes Cool
#3 Blonds Big Grin
#4 Cape Buffalo
#5 Lion

Mac jumping

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trying fending off a cow moose with a 4 weight fly rod...

BEEN THERE! She chased us halfway around a small lake in the Uintah Mountains of Utah. We finally got uphill from her and had to resort to throwing medium sized rocks at her feet before she decided we'd had enough.

WHEW!

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted Hide Post
#1 Other hunters.

In the Pacific NW, there are a lot of areas that get heavy pressure, and many people in the woods, IMHO, should not be there and might be prone to do stupid things. When I am hunting, if I run across another hunter whom I do not know, he has all my attention until I feel 100% that he knows I'm there and am not in any danger.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
#1 RedHeads Razzer
#2 Brunettes Cool
#3 Blonds Big Grin
#4 Cape Buffalo
#5 Lion

Mac jumping

That list sounds about right!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Turkey.

100's of people running around in the woods dressed in Camo, shooting at sound.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Osama bin Laudin
but I'd give it try.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
 Turkey. 100's of people running around in the woods dressed in Camo, shooting at sound. 

I agree, when on public ground. Perhaps, some place like Pennsylvania. I once saw an opening day public hunting parking area photo from Penn, it was jam packed. Cars and trucks everywhere, it looked like an auto auction. I would figure walking into those woods to hunt or not would be most dangerous. I would leave and risk going after some redheads.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
The wife... when she finds out how many guns you REALLY own.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I would say elephant -- when Tembo decides that you should die, I don't think that there is anything stopping him/her from turning you into a greese stain -- this is assuming that your shooting has failed -- JMHO

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MADDOG:

The most dangerous animal has to be the one who last scared the bejasus out of you. Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not being anywhere but Canada for hunting:
#1 Polar bear ( I've never hunted them YET, but if you are in their hunting territory, you are on the menue!
#2 A grizz ( of course, for obvious reasons )
#3 A man eating black bear ( often overlooked but far more dangerous than a grizz. The reason is a black bear will start eating you immediatly, a grizz is a carion eater, so with a man eating black bear you have to fight for all your worth, or aim true. Very quiet, walking up to you with it's head going from side to side, sizing you up and looking for an opportunity, are some of the traits to look for)
#4 A wolverine ( any knowledge or folklore of these beasties is usually true)
#5 A cougar ( quiet up in a tree waiting, or homing in on your elk cow/calf call)

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
polar bear
elephant
Croc (because of what it takes to haulthem to shore)
Coastal brown bear
ex wife #2

Posts: 100 | Location: Thompkin Corners, Sullivan Co. Penna | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I remember a story by Col. Charles Askins {sp?} about dangerous game, he said the only animal that made him go up a tree was a wild boar some where in the south.. My own experience is Bison in the black timber of N. MN..It is a long story but they were as wild as any other large game animal and would not hesitate to come at you with their head down.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote