Find
Notify
Tools

My first Coues Deer and Javalina
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
I just got back from Sonora Mexico where I did a Coues deer hunt with Pusch Ridge Outfitters. I took this guy on day three of my hunt.

I used my 7mm Remington and 160 TSX's to take him at 326 yards. He has 11 points total and gross scored 118. He'll lose a lot of points because he's not very symetrical, but I couldn't be happier with him.

I also took my first javalina. It was very anti-climatic. I spotted him at about 600 yards, walked up to about 75 yards and shot him. Same rifle and load.

This was my first coues deer hunt and looking back there are a few things I would do differently. The rifle was a David Miller 7mm Rem with a 3.5-10 Leupold scope. While the 7mm Rem was the most popular caliber in camp, I would go with something flatter shooting next time. Shots between 300-450 yards were the norm, and the 7mm really starts to drop after 300 yards. I've never felt under-glassed with a 3.5-10 scope and 8X binoculars until this hunt. Next year I'll have either a 4.5-14 or 6-18 scope on my rifle. The guys who had Premier Reticles put stadia lines in their Leupolds or had Swarovski's with the TDS had a much easier time hitting their targets. The 8X Zeiss binoclars I was using were pretty much worthless for glassing. Every other person in camp had either 10X or 12X Swarovski's; the difference was very noticable on what I could see vs. what they could see. The Leica LRF 1200 and 20-60 Swarovski spotting scope I brought were very helpful. I used a Tuffpack to bring my rifles down, but I think next year I'll just bring my old SKB case. I had to pull out my guns 3 times crossing the border and it was really kind of a pain in the ass, although it was nice to have less bagage to carry around.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Awesome coues buck! Looks like it was a beautiful hunt.
-Drew Stuart

Posts: 5 | Location: N. VA--some day soon, MT | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Talentrec, Congratulations on a magnificent animal and a great experience! Also many thanks for the informative comparison of equiptment applications. I would suggest a 6.5/284 for this particular endeavor, but I understand the .300 Weatherby has quite a following as well. Nice pictures and once again great buck!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very nice deer...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice... hope to do that hunt myself someday.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muy bien cazador! Que chulo es el pais!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Great pics. Great deer.

Have you tried the 140 tsx bullets in the 7 mag. There are not many cartridges that shoot much flatter than that.

Nice rifle too. Smiler

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That appears to be one heck of a coues buck!

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is one of Davids Rifles. Just tell him you want one of his scopes, and have him det it up. If you want to go the cheaper route, then call premiere, and give them the specs you want, and the will make the additional crosshairs. I have done it both ways, and they both work. Dandy buck. I go back along way with Kirk, and he is a standup guy. Was Robert or Juan there, as guides? Juan was my guide, about 70 yrs old and tougher than any boot.. Good guy

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice buck--congrats on your success---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. Are you getting them mounted?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
LeeC-

Kirk is a great guy. He has the best guides I've ever met. Those guys see things with the naked eye that I needed a spotting scope to pick out. They haul those deer out like it's nothing. Robert and Juan weren't there, I hunted with Alex.

577-

I'm getting the deer full body mounted and doing a shoulder mount on the pig.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a killer Coues!

Congrats!!!

Try a 120 or 140 with your 7 mag and things get much flatter.

I'm shooting 140 tsx for Mulies these days and like them a lot.

Bill

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a tremendous Coues buck and a nice javelina as well. Congrats...

But I must add that if the 7mm RM doesn't shoot flat enough for you, simply drop down in weight from the 160 grain bullets you are using. Coues deer are small and don't require a mega-ton of energy to harvest cleanly. A 140 or even a 120 grainer will suffice, although the lower BC of the 120s do tend to negate the advantage of a higher starting velocity once you get to longer ranges. But regardless, the 7RM is one of the flatter shooting rounds out there, and with a sight-in geared to maximize its trajectory, those 300-400 yard shots should be no problem.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Moster coues. Very Nice.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Talentrec, Congratulations on a magnificent animal and a great experience! Also many thanks for the informative comparison of equiptment applications. ...
Hey Talentrec, Looks like 308Sako said pretty much what I was thinking.

What "cartridge" do you plan to go with the next time? 7mmRUM?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Hot Core-

Actually, I think I'm going to go with the 6.5 WSM that I built this year. I think I've finally found a source for properly headstamped brass, so I shouldn't have any hassles at the border. I've been using it with the 130 gr TSX and having great results, but from what I saw, I think I may actually try the 143 gr Match King.

BTW, if anyone is interested in some properly headstamped 6.5 WSM brass, PM me.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Talentrec, Sounds like a fine cartridge with plenty of long range potential.

I have a 6.5-20x on a 7mmRemMag at the moment. Only problem is it has that Standard Reticle which is totally worthless in dim light - can't be seen.

Otherwise, it is right nice for shooting at distance. But, I really need to get a HEAVIER Reticle put in it for my use.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talentrec, Banger of a Coues! Congrats. It is always neat to see the practical field applications of the gear we work so hard to get right. Sounds like you got some good benchmarks for your gear and had a great hunt to boot.

Good on ya!

Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I dont know if anybody else saw the pictures , real nice buck and Javy , your gun and cartridge shoot fine . Thanks For Sharing .

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote