Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting up your ram
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted
What kind of cuts do you make out of your sheep?

How do you like to cook it?

Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Depends what kind of ram. RM Bighorns tend to be a little tougher than the thin-horns. Only the better cuts on a Bighorn make decent steaks.

I usually cut my stones into small "roasts" and then either cut those into steaks or "medallions" later. I also use it a fair bit for stew and hamburger.

Stone sheep backstrap cut into 3/8" thick medallion steaks, sprinkled in garlic salt and fried in olive oil is about the best meal on the planet. Especially over a fire and under the stars, in sheep country. Mmmmm...

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Canuck
I am hunting Dall rams this fall...
Did you ever make some of the ground into sausage,kielbasa,
or hot dogs.Or do you use all your ground meat as burger?

K-babs are also on the menu.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Stone and Dall sheep meat is about the best eatin there is. It is certainly my favorite (or at least tied for top spot with bison and eland).

There isn't a lot of meat on a sheep carcass (maybe 100 lbs or so), and cherish it as I do, I never made any sausage out of it. The ground meat was strictly burger, which was used for burgers, spaghetti, meatballs, lasagne, chili, etc.

I use a lot of burger in a year, so I typically make a lot of it when cutting something up, but I found with sheep I usually prefer to make stew meat instead. Just seems a waste to grind up sheep.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote