New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Peak elk rut in Colorado?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looks like I have a chance to bow hunt elk this fall near Brighton, CO. Some guys are saying that they're seeing the rut peak closer to the end of Sept.

For those of you who have been there done that, what has been your experience. I really want to be there while they're bugeling.

Mike

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brighton is suburban Denver, not far from the airport - hope you're not planning to hunt right there!?

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'll echo Sagebrush's comments. Brighton is northeast of Denver in the flatlands. Not many elk there!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, Brighton is the outfitter's address. The hunting local is the Craig-Steamboat Sprins area of NW Colorado.

It is a non-guided drop in hunt. We're driving out from Michigan with a tent and sleeping bags. My buddy hunted the ranch last year and had a good time.

Though we are paying trespass fees to hunt a private ranch, I do not believe it to be a "ranch" style hunt. No fences.

The outfit is called "Rocky Mountain ranches." I believe Larry Bishop is the owner. I really haven't done as much homework on this hunt as I normally would have. I kind of tagged on at the last minute. One of the guys in the original four had to cancel due to health reasons. I'm really kinda going on my buddie's word. He took a respectable 5X5 last season.

Thanks.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This year were I lived the elk did not bugle till the last week of the season. I have lived and bow hunted in CO the last 6 years and the end of the season is the best for calling.

Posts: 3 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 22 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NW Colorado is as good as anywhere for elk hunting. There's a bunch of country so hopefully you'll be where the elk are...

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote