Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 30-06 Elk Load Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Shoot FMJs, That ought to Penetrate those Critters.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As a many have said, if everything is perfect and you can take a broadside shot through muscle and rib only, at a distance beyond 50 yards, you should be okay. But that kind of elk hunting situation is the exception and not the rule.

I was presented with this perfect type shot a couple years ago. The elk, a big cow, was 250 yards away standing broadside. I slipped a Sierra GameKing BTSP between the ribs a bit far back and took out the liver. It died a few steps from where it was hit. The bullet went all the way through to stick in the farside hide. When I pulled the bullet out, the core dropped out of the jacket. All I could think was, I'm glad I hit no bones and I'm glad this wasn't a bull. The bullet was 338 caliber and 250 grains.

Elk are often found walking through aspen so thick you'd wonder how it got through or are found in brush up to one's waist. Hunts can be long and tiring. Not to mention expensive. Some hunts, after days afield, end near twilight, making you actually appreciate the opportunity to take that long raking shot knowing the bullet must travel 2 feet through muscle, bone, and cud to hit the vitals and yield you a trophy. Select a bullet for the worst situation and you'll be covered in all situations.

Unless you've got stock in Sierra, get a box each of Barnes X, Winchester Fail Safe, or Nosler Partitions weighing 180 grains. Shoot them and which ever one your gun likes, take it hunting. There is no reason to use a marginal bullet when so many others are better suited and readily available.

Have fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
federal h.e. 180 gr. n.p.

it groups well, hits hard and puts meat in the freezer every time.