THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    26 Point 228 7/8" Coshocton County Deer Poached - Amish Man Fined $28,741.46

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

26 Point 228 7/8" Coshocton County Deer Poached - Amish Man Fined $28,741.46
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I guess seeing a really big buck will cause even an Amish guy to sin! Tremendous buck.

26 Point 228 7/8" Coshocton County Deer Poached - Amish Man Fined $28,741.46

On November 7 th, 2018 Junior Troyer of Millersburg Ohio illegally shot a 26-point Coshocton county buck which has been green scored 228 7/8”. The issue was that earlier on that same day Troyer had filled his Ohio buck tag with an 8 pointer.

Troyer who is 43 years old plead no contest to five charge. (1) providing false information while game-checking a deer; (2), attaching a game-check number to a deer that was originally issued to another; (3) taking more than one antlered deer in a licensed year; (4) possessing deer or deer parts (26-pointer) without valid tag and/ or permit; and (5), attaching an antlerless doe game-check number to an antlered deer.

Judge Timothy L. France of Coshocton County found Troyer guilty on all five charges, fining him $150 on each charge and another $87 for court costs. France then ordered Troyer to pay a $27,904.46 “restitution” fine to the state of Ohio for the value of the deer. Total in fines $28741.46

Troyer also had his hunting privileges revoked for two years and given 60 days jail time, but France said that if Troyer paid his fines in full, he would suspend Troyer’s jail time and cut his revoked hunting privileges to just one year. Troyer paid his fines totaling $28,741.46 in full.

Obviously since Amish do not believe in photos there are no selfies and very few good pictures of this buck. It is a shame and as hunters we can never let greed over take us! This monster whitetail deserved better!

https://woodburyoutfitters.com...KTRgFJgCTTISrzml4nvA

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Real Story Behind Junior Troyer's Poached 26 Point Coshocton County Ohio Buck

Posted by WB Reporters on Dec 22nd 2018

By now most everyone is aware of the 26-point buck that was poached in Coshocton County on November 7 th, 2018 by Junior Troyer a local Amish man. If you are like us anytime there is a 229" buck killed on your home turf you want to know the details! Turns out Tory Hardesty had been hunting the buck for the past several years and was a wealth of information!

Tory who had nicknamed the buck “Hay Rake” had the buck at 40 yards a few days earlier on October 25 th and needed him to take 3 more steps to clear some brush for a clean shot. He hit the trail where Tory walked in and just turned and walked away much to his dismay.

Tory had a small group of friends who were aware of the buck and as a group they would keep each other informed of sightings, trail cam pics and anything else to do with the Hay Rake. One of the friends would search Facebook each day since he realized a buck of this caliber would be big news.

On the morning of November 10 th Tory got the news he did not want to hear. His friend from Columbus called him to tell him there was a picture on Facebook of the buck. A local taxidermist had posted the picture holding the rack of none other than Hay Rake!.

Tory immediately called the taxidermist to ask details and find out if he could stop by to see the antlers. Tory said the taxidermist was very evasive and expressed concern over the antlers being stolen and stated that he had them in a vault. Tory continued to press and finally the taxidermist told him an Amish hunter had shot the buck and asked him to do a European mount and did not want the deer scored. Finding this very odd Tory pressed even harder and finally got him to agree to allow Tory to stop by several days later to see the antlers. However, when the time came the taxidermist called to cancel and said he had to reschedule. On their next scheduled date, the taxidermist called Tory at 10am to cancel stating that he had to take his children to the movies. Tory tried contacting the taxidermist again, but he was now being ignored.

In the meantime, the taxidermist contacted a local deer scorer to score the deer. The person who did the scoring contacted Tory’s cousin Todd Hardesty and told him there was absolutely something not right about the buck he just scored. He said he had been told 3 different stories as he was scoring the buck.

At this point one of Tory's friends decided to contact a game warden and ask him to check the Coshocton County records to see if anyone had checked in a 26 pointer. The answer was “no”, so Tory's friend suggested checking Tuscarawas county since the county line was near the property. There was no hit for Tuscarawas county either but on a hunch the game warden checked Holmes County and sure enough a 26 pointer had been checked in.

Realizing that the buck could not have been shot in Holmes County the Game Warden paid Junior Troyer a visit. Junior totally denied any wrong doing but the Game Warden wasn’t buying it.

After pressing Junior, he finally admitted to shooting a 130” eight pointer the morning of November 7 th. He then went out to hunt that evening and had Hay Rake walk by him. Junior let greed set in and shot the buck. He decapitated both bucks taking the body of the 8 pointer and the head of the 26 pointer as one buck and tagged it in. The next morning, he returned and took the headless body of the 26 pointer and checked it in as a doe. In the meantime, he took the head of the 8 pointer and threw it in a ditch which law enforcement later recovered.

Some amazing facts about the buck are that he was shot on camera last year, but the arrow hit low and the buck recovered. Tory and friends will be putting the video out at a later date. In addition, the ODNR aged the buck at only 4.5 years old. Tory stated that the buck had no pattern and no core area which made him very difficult to hunt.

The amount of exposure a buck of this quality brings to an area is amazing. Even though Tory and his friends had kept quiet word was out in the neighborhood about Hay Rake. Tory says he had about $700 in trail cams stolen off his property this year alone.

It is sad to know that this buck will hang in the offices of the ODNR and could not have been harvested legally by an ethical hunter. He was front page North American Whitetail material. Instead because of the greed of one man the story of Hay Rake comes to a sad end.

https://woodburyoutfitters.com...on-county-ohio-buck/

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Shame but at least the poacher got hit with a fine that will get some attention! $28K? Serious moola....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sucks an honest hunter did not get him.Evedently the fine was not large enough if he paid it cash money.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obviously since Amish do not believe in photos there are no selfies

I wonder if there were mug shots taken of the sinner.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Sucks an honest hunter did not get him.Evedently the fine was not large enough if he paid it cash money.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder what that Amish guy did for a living to pay that fine in full in cash!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was waiting to see if they had a high speed chase in a horse and buggy trying to out-run the wardens!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Situations like this is why some of us post such items.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the deer thought about being given such a stupid name.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess Amish in Ohio should learn from their Pa. kinfolk an just nail the skull plate on the side of the buggy garage. Amish family just up the road from my place must have 200 racks nailed to their And it is 1 father with 2 teenage boys (14, 15) in a 1 buck state.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder what that Amish guy did for a living to pay that fine in full in cash!
'
My guess is the Amish Community pooled money to keep him out of jail.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
I guess Amish in Ohio should learn from their Pa. kinfolk an just nail the skull plate on the side of the buggy garage. Amish family just up the road from my place must have 200 racks nailed to their And it is 1 father with 2 teenage boys (14, 15) in a 1 buck state.

I wish more people would stop looking at the Amish as if they rode a high horse.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lapidary:
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:

I wish more people would stop looking at the Amish as if they rode a high horse.

Those whom I know well enough to call them by their first names are have little or no use for game laws on their own property. In my area there are about 2 DOZEN smaller acreage farms scattered about the county several neighboring each other....the game is shot off as they hunt year round...deer eat the corn, Amish eat the deer why they do not get pinched for it none of us English of the county do not understand.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Turns out Tory Hardesty had been hunting the buck for the past several years and was a wealth of information!

In addition, the ODNR aged the buck at only 4.5 years old.

Several years hunting a 4 year old buck. Reminds me of a fishing story. And poachers suck.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ohio produces some big bucks....and many of them get killed illegally. I had a co-worker hunting a particular buck a couple of years ago. She sat in a blind all day with temps in the teens. The next day the buck was killed. It was eventually determined he had a hole between his eyes the size of a 22. Here is a picture of the buck" http://whackstarhunters.com/ne...o-state-record-buck/

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have heard some stories about poaching in Amish country. The turkey trot lines are among the worst.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
quote:
Turns out Tory Hardesty had been hunting the buck for the past several years and was a wealth of information!

In addition, the ODNR aged the buck at only 4.5 years old.

Several years hunting a 4 year old buck. Reminds me of a fishing story. And poachers suck.

FYI here in the midwest where the conditions are perfect with easy winters, good genetics, good cover and feed it isn't unusual for a buck to have a first rack that looks like he's 3 or 4 years old. Add a good number of inches of growth each year and at 4 1/2 years old a buck can be a real monster like that one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
I have heard some stories about poaching in Amish country. The turkey trot lines are among the worst.

Yep; the Amish have their own rules and it's mostly no rules at all! They kill deer every month of the year and think nothing of it. There is one Amish family farm down near where that buck was taken that isn't very far from where the folks of my best buddy's wife live. It's a one buck a year limit there and that Amish family has just two boys that are probably in their teens. My buddy said one side of their barn has over 100 horns nailed to it, which means there is no way all those bucks could have been taken legally. Yet they get away with stuff like that and the deer herd is way down now because of it around there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:

So if the man had a million dollars in the bank they should have fined him all of it?

Why couldn't a Amish man have money as easy as anybody else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Amish are all about making money. It doesn't surprise me at all that they have already paid the fine. Cash is all they use.

The county I live in is a gateway to Ohio Amish country. Twenty years ago 75% of the Amish lived in Ohio. We see them at Walmart, Aldi and Rural King every day.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised he got off that easy.

$28k+ is a lot of money. However, I am sure that there are honest hunters who would pay more to hunt a buck like that.

2 year ban from hunting, maybe a year? That is the shocker. Utah would have been more than 5, possibly a lifetime ban.

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWall:
The Amish are all about making money. It doesn't surprise me at all that they have already paid the fine. Cash is all they use.

The county I live in is a gateway to Ohio Amish country. Twenty years ago 75% of the Amish lived in Ohio. We see them at Walmart, Aldi and Rural King every day.

Tom

I'm surprised to hear Amish hunt. Confused

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:
Originally posted by TWall:

Tom

I'm surprised to hear Amish hunt. Confused

Grizz

Some do it year round! shame

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know quite a few Amish. Quite a few are nice down to earth folk who work hard and stick to themselves.

Quite a few are terrible poachers, racists, and I don't have much to do with them.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
From 1988 to 2011 I leased 200 acres in the “Thumb” of Michigan, about 15 miles north of Marlette, MI. One of the neighbors was an Amish owned sawmill. On multiple occasions we caught the Amish guys trespassing on our property. Twice during gun season we caught them on our property without wearing blaze orange, as required by law. The final straw was when they told a widow lady that owned nearby land that we were hunting her property and shooting fawns. The widow sent a scathing letter to our land owner, accusing us of trespassing and fawn killing. The weekend I allegedly was trespassing I was in Europe with my wife for our30th Wedding Anniversary. I sent a letter to the widow lady outlining the truth and told her the next time she sends a libelous letter about me, I’d own her property when I won a judgement against her. Had no more problems after that.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1385 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote