New
Find
Notify
Tools

Animals around Pandale TX.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine sold his ranch in Sonora and bought one close to Pandale, TX. This is even further away from home but anyway I get to go help in filling the feeders and do a few chores and in return I get to shoot a few hogs. Other than coyotes and bobcats what kind of critters might be on this place. Would it be too dry for hogs? Probably got some Javelina on it I would think. I have been out Interstate 10 before but never turned South.
Ayone have any ideas?
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 599 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never hunted that part before but I'd bet there might also be some quail and dove. I'd be real surprised if there weren't hogs.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Fewer hogs in the PH than S and SE TX. Be surprised if you see a Javelina, hunted there for several years and never seen either.

Lots of Deer, Turkey, Coyotes, and Quail up there.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's not "the Panhandle", but PANDALE, which is in Val Verde County near the Rio Grande and just east of the Pecos.

It is dryer than Sonora, but the whitetails are likely to be larger. Should have javelinas and maybe a few feral hogs. Good dove and quail country when it rains. It MAY have pronghorns and a few mule deer, depending on exactly where it is and what type of land. Plenty of coyotes. There will be a population of mountain lions, perhaps even huntable. A few black bears have been wandering into that country recently and I've seen one photographed with a trail cam in the adjacent county.

If I were offered a weekend to knock around at Sonora or Pandale, I'd choose Pandale -- just more interesting country with fewer people.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Dang, SC, you got me on that one!

Forget my other post guys, sorry about that...

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks stonecreek. I'll be waiting the invite to go out there. He said it is 8 hours one way. He mentioned he has a bit more than two miles river frontage. Should be fun!!
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 599 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
If there's 2 miles of river frontage, then there are probably hogs. There could also be a few Aoudad depending on how rocky the area is.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Tons of coons, beautiful country, tons of turkeys, and lots of big deer. Cheapest gas will either be Del Rio or Iraan.

Was in Pandale last weekend fishing and saw a ton of game Smiler

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted around Pandale many times, its teeming with hogs, javalina, bobcats, coyotes, foxes, and whitetail deer and the quail hunting is fantastic as a rule or on a good year....Its a wonderful hunting country if your place hasn't been over hunted, you should be getting excited.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote