New
Find
Notify
Tools

"General" Boddington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig is hunting this weekend. When he returns I'll inform him of this latest bunch of bs and see if he has any interest in reading, much less responding to it. My understanding is that jorge's explanation is right on the mark. I'm not sure how much time the General (and I will call him that as a show of respect) will have because I know he is leaving pretty quickly, but I will at least give him the opportunity.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
<WyomingSwede>
posted
Gotogirl3...I would not dignify this hackneyed thread of personal attacks by bringing it to his attention. I guess he and Johnny Barsness are being tried by newspaper.
How would you feel if this thread involved you??? Anyone responding in this thread...how would you feel if it was your moniker being dragged through the mud rather than the two gentleman mentioned above.
Peter you ought to be ashamed for even posting this crap. Even if it is true...which I doubt, what business does it have with this forum? Posting a tissue of lies on the internet seems to be the national sport. I guess longevity on this forum does not necessarily mean respect for others or common courtesy.
Even if you cant stand the above mentioned writers...you should at least have the courtesy of giving them the benefit of the doubt. I am QUITE SURE if the above mentioned charges are true...they will be featured prominently in the Associated Press. Then your inqiring little minds will get its allotted quota of trash.
Like I said previously...you can disagree with their writing or their opinions but these personal attacks are way out of line and this forum is better than this. Attacking a mans career in this fashion is low class all the way.
Saeed do us all a favor and dump this thread. This forum is better than this.

swede

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read the article thoroughly, and based on the information contained therein I can find NOTHING that Col/Gen Boddington did wrong. His star was pinned on in a ceremony by the OIC, what do you expect him to do, say, "nope, you're wrong, can't accept that." If anyone does, they're a stone cold idiot who has no clue how the real world or the military world works.

As far as the Barsness libel goes, after rereading it, I assume it had to be tongue in cheek, either the article, the post, or both. Otherwise, HTRN has left another village searching for its idiot or maybe he has wandered back home by now.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The military like everything else in the government is subject to bureaucratic and political processes and the stupidity and length of time that is always associated with them. Frocking is the work around the military has come up with. It�s the senior officers� way of saying; we know what you are doing and this is our way of giving you official recognition of the fact that your duties and skill level are at this rank until we can ram it through the bureaucratic and political mumbo jumbo and get you paid.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me point out a couple of facts:
1. Ringling, MT has no mall
2. Ringling, MT has no gun store
3. Ringling, MT has no newspaper
4. There is no suck thing as a grass land wolverine
5. There are no bag limits on ground squirrels in MT

6. The entire series of posts was a satire to point out how freeking inane it seems to be to worry about Bodingtons military rank.
I don't know John Barsness but have met people that have hunted with him and I have never heard one single negative comment about him and/or his hunting ethics.
Does that clear things up?????

Posts: 32 | Location: between Alzada and Yaak | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge has explained this situation well but I am sure that nit 500 will chime in with his crap. I am thankful that Craig Boddington has served his country as he has these many years and we need to show him and every service man respect due them , particularly in these times when they put their lives on the line for us.

As far as Barsness and that fraud perpetrated by hightechredneck:

1. There is no mall in Ringling MT. Ringling has a post office, school, and restaurant and bar. Check it out.
2. There is no newspaper
3. There is no such thing as a woodland wolverine in the mammal list and the endangered species list does not even show the North american Wolverine as endangered.
4. Grounds squirrels are not regulated as game animals in Monana, east or west of the divide.
5. No one spotlights ground squirrels after dark because they stay in their burrows at night.
6. We have a very stupid troll in hightechredneck.

[ 09-02-2003, 03:01: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CustomStox:

Man that post was a home run.! No one could have covered all the points better.

Sounds like a Diane Feinstein type, anti Gun, Peta loving Californian.

No negativity meant to all the fine California types we are blessed with on this forum.
[Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
3. There is no such thing as a woodland wolverine in the mammal list and the endangered species list does not even show the North american Wolverine as endangered.

Chic,

The "grassland wolverine" that HTR referred to must be on the "double top secret annex" to the endangered species list. After all, now that everyone knows about the wolf and grizzly bear, look how many people want to shoot them!

"The truth is out there..." [Wink]

John "Mulder" Frazer

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gotogirl3:
Look, I know him well enough to call him Craig when dealing with him personally but have enough respect for him and my country to call him General at other times. And by the way, I've talked to him and I doubt he'll be back on this forum because of threads just like this. Like others, I thought this was a site for people who hunt, want to hunt, like guns, etc. Boddington's rank aside he deserves respect for what he has done for the hunting community at large and I'm sick of seeing all this bs - we should all be pulling in the same direction, not taking pot shots at someone who is in more of a position to help our cause than most other people. Grow up and get over it.

Bravo.

Just a couple of things. Editors prefer to throw rank around when it's available. I'm sure you're all as familiar as I am with previous "colonels" who, no longer with us, were gun writers of some notoriety.

Personally, I think people who make a stink about rank are those who have no life. My own cousin, himself a pathetic jerk, couldn't believe I'd made major. What a shocker to him when I make lieutenant colonel. Regardless, a soldier is a soldier -- and a Marine a Marine, of course -- and so on. When I'm on active duty, I have no problem using my rank in signatures and such because that's who I am and I bloody-well earned it. I enlisted over 21 years ago and have pulled myself painfully along to get where I am, with no one more surprised that I've made it this far than myself.

People USUALLY get rank when they earn it. "Earning" it takes many forms of endeavor. Like, just for example, starting Command and General Staff College for a second time, after being pulled out of the first class to go to war in Iraq, and having to buy a $2,049 Dell laptop to complete said course, all the while conducting the business of the war, doing PT, missing incoming mortars on a semi-daily basis, and dodging the occasional potshot. Everyone who gets this far has a similar story of personal sacrifice and hardships, some (many) just worse.

All this begs the question, at what point does a person's station in life become a subject for inspection, interrogation, and condemnation?

With regard to politicians overseeing senior promotions such as generals, it largely has to with the fact that the military serves the civilian population, as set forth in the Constitution.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
LTC Taylor,

Hang in there. Kudos on the comments.

Sadly, there's a whole bunch of people who wish they had the intestinal fortitude to be a soldier for any period of time, but they don't. Most of these don't even try. Some try and fail but at least they tried. Others do a hitch of 2, 3, or 4 years and get out. Heck, they've done their duty and in my mind, it doesn't matter what or where. Some stay the course and like several others on these forums go over the minimum time required to earn a retirement check. Those people have been through it one way or another. Hang around long enough and you're almost guaranteed to be deployed as you are now.

Still, those that watch films like "Blackhawk Down" and are angry with themselves for never even trying to live their Walter Mitty fantasies are going to snipe at the accomplishments of those who talk the talk and walk the walk. That they don't have the self discipline necessary to expose themselves to the sacrifice and life limitations imposed by military service is of no matter, they will (at least in their own minds) do whatever they can to bring those who do and have down to their level. It is pitiful.

I want you to know that I appreciate what you and many of my friends are doing for us there in Iraq and in several other places around the world. I think of all of you every time I brush my teeth or shave with running water instead of water poured from a bottle or canteen, everytime I take a shower or turn on the AC in my truck because it is 85 degrees (as opposed to 130!).

If you do see BG/COL/Mr. Boddington, please pass along my feelings of support, for both his service and his writing. And please, y'all take care and come home.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I'm still just a mere major, Hobie, but thanks for the kind words.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote