Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anti Hunting: John Kerry
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
AnotherAZWriter: Just change your name to "AnotherAZdemocrat" you're so transparent is funny. You shot at BUsh for not having gone to Vietnam is a specious argument at best. FDR was a "wartime president" as was Abraham Lincoln and neither had any military experience. And just how do you know he was against the war in Iraq? Were you there in the "tank" when the decision was made? Iraq HAD to be dealt with as does Iran and Syria. If he would have been as opposed to the war as you claim AND he was a man of integrity, he would have taken a principled position and RESIGNED. Hopefully if Bush wins re-election, we in the military won't have you whinny liberals wringing your hands in despair when we go in there and clean house. Here's a bit of news that was announced a few days ago: You know those two "muslim clerics" that were aprehended in New York two days ago for laundering money and a stinger missile buy? We got the names from a laptop computer our SOF boys took off a dead terrosrist in where? I-R-A-Q. Nice try. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Quote:

mike416rigby: You sound like a very bitter and unhappy man. I feel sorry for you. I am not a liberal. But I am a Democrat. And have been since Nixon was president. You should join a VFW post nearest you and help out on the 4th of July parades, be respectful of your elders, and support all veterans. We have one WWII veteran at our Post and he is a joy to be around. I am so proud of him I cannot stand it. And you know what, I have no idea who he thinks is a great or good president. And it doesn't matter. Take some Paxil and calm down.

I'm neither bitter or unhappy, but I do have a long memory. And fyi, I belong to both my local V.F.W. and American Legion posts, and am past president of both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter,

No, Colin Powell would not have gotten us into this mess. Because he's a wishy-washy Democrat at heart, he would have gotten us into a worse one. Experience kissing ass in the military bureaucracy is not the same as military experience. You sound like one of those can't-we-all-just-get-along types, an attitude that is rapidly draining the strength and life out of the country.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Since a lot of you disparaged the President's military service, I did some research regarding his service. Keep in mind that the President HAS NOT made an issue of military service for his re-election, john kerry has made it HIS ONLY issue. I find this laughable becasue he stood on the floor of the Senate and DEFENDED clinton for his draft-dogder ways, so he flip flpos again. Anyhow here you go and please read it. I understand that most of you are products of the liberal-democrat NEA, but give it a shot:
George W. Bush enlisted in the Texas Air National Guard in May, 1968, after graduation from Yale. After basic training at Lackland AFB, he was promoted to 2d lieutenant and chosen for flight school. He completed flight school in November 1969 and then combat crew training on the F102 in June 1970. At each of these stages he was evaluated by professionals who didn't give a damn who his Daddy was.

Over 10,000 Air National Guardsmen (1,076 officers and 8,102 enlisted) were called into active service by President Lyndon B. Johnson, in response to the Tet offensive (Feb.), as well as the seizure of the USS Pueblo (Jan.). The Air National Guard was not the place to hide from the war that year.

Four Air National Guard (ANG) squadrons were deployed to Vietnam in May-June of 1968: the 120th (Colorado) to Phan Rang, the 174th (Iowa) to Phu Cat, the 188th (New Mexico) to Tuy Hoa, and the 136th (New York) also to Tuy Hoa. These squadrons all flew F100Cs and, indeed, flew over 24,000 sorties in the war. In addition, about 85 percent of the pilots of the 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron were ANG pilots, primarily from the 119th (New Jersey) and the 121st (District of Columbia). (The 355th was known as the "fifth ANG squadron"). Finally, two more ANG squadrons were deployed to Korea that same year: the 166th (Ohio) and the 127th (Kansas). There was every expectation that new pilots would also be deployed to Southeast Asia.

George Bush was assigned to the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron of the 147th Fighter Interceptor Group (as it was then known), flying F102s. Pilots from the 147th Group were flying combat missions in Viet Nam at the very time Bush signed up and, in fact, F102 squadrons had been stationed in South Viet Nam (by President Kennedy) since March 1962. Again, there was every expectation that Bush would be deployed there as well.

From 1968 to 1970, Operation Palace Alert routinely rotated qualified F102 pilots from the 147th FIG to Viet Nam (and elsewhere). In 1969, along with three of his fellow pilots, From 1968 to 1970, Operation Palace Alert routinely rotated qualified F102 pilots from the 147th FIG to Viet Nam (and elsewhere).

In 1969, along with three of his fellow pilots, George Bush inquired about participating in this program. His request was refused by the Air Force because (a) he had insufficient flying hours at the time and (b) the program was being phased out. So it is incorrect to say that George Bush did not volunteer for service in Viet Nam. He did, but his government had other plans.
He did, but his government had other plans.

Even in peace time, F102 pilots risked their lives on every flight. The aircraft was underpowered and had a split canopy view. According to one pilot, the F102 had a "built-in" 500 ft. altimeter error, which made it "interesting" on close support missions. The Class A accident rate for this aircraft was roughly three times that of current aircraft. Even if you actually believe that a one-term Congressman can manipulate the United States Air Force to secure a comfortable billet for his son, this is not what that Congressman would choose.

After pilot training, George Bush flew F102s in continental air defense. Their mission was to patrol the Gulf Coast and intercept Soviet bombers that regularly flew US shores loaded with nuclear weapons. Not actual combat, but a vital mission nonetheless.

Bush remained on active flying status until April 1972. By that time the war was winding down. The US was withdrawing its forces from Viet Nam.

There was a glut of active duty pilots and not enough flying slots. Since regular USAF pilots had priority, many ANG pilots filed for early release, which the Air Force was happy to grant. Moreover, as of Jan. 1 1970, the 147th FIG was off "runway alert" and was changing missions from air defense to training. For an F102 pilot, it meant qualifying in a new aircraft. It such circumstances, it is not surprising that George Bush let things slide a little, as did many others. Most people will understand it makes no sense to undergo a flight physical if there are no flying slots available. Contrary to what a recent story in the Washington Post claimed, a pilot does not lose his wings in this way, only his flying status, which can be restored.(By the way, John Kerry at this time was accusing his fellow servicemen of war atrocities in testimony before Congress.)

The bottom line: Bush was perhaps not heroic, but he was brave and dutiful and served honorably. He met all requirements and received an honorable discharge. (Those who disparage him now were all too willing to excuse Clinton for outright lying to avoid the draft.)

The ignorance of you can perhaps be forgiven, since news media coverage of military affairs is abysmally ignorant, even in a war. Malice however tells us something about them. Ignorance and malice-a helluva combination. jorge

PS: If any of you require/want the reference I got most of this from, I can provided it.

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote