Find
Notify
Tools

Game processer in AZ help, please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
Hunting the San Carlos Apache Reservation in a few months, and am hoping someone can recommend a reputable outfit to deal with javelina meat. Appreciate any leads/suggestions.

TIA,

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try these guys out:

4 Peaks Game Processing
1764 W Bell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85023
602-375-1646

I have had them do an elk, an Oryx and a few friends have had similar GREAT results. No affiliation, but they seem to be one of the best in the area.

Posts: 53 | Location: Snottsdale, AZ | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but PHX is a 3-4 hour drive each way from where we'll be...

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RANDERSON:
Try these guys out:
4 Peaks Game Processing
1764 W Bell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85023
602-375-1646

thumb 4 Peaks is who we send all our customers to. John and his wife Jen run a top shelf operation. But I must be very honest with you, as a lover of javelina game meat...have summer sausage made at Schreiners Fine Sausage in Phoenix. We butcher our own meat and used to just crock pot our javies with barbecue sauce, excellent way to cook javie meat. We took a few deboned, clean javies to Schreiners many years ago and had it all made into mild summer sausage and were extremely pleased with how excellent tasting it is. That is the only way we handle our javie meat now. Any time we are invited to a party it is under the stipulation that we bring a chub of the javie sausage with cheese and crackers...no lie! I guarantee you will want to send me a Chrismas gift after you taste that sausage. Wink

PM or call me before you come to town and we will be glad to help you out.

Just saw your post, closest may be Coconino Processing in Flagstaff 928-527-1538. Have no personal experience with them so do not know if they are good, bad or somewhere in the middle. I do know to tell you to stay clear of Frontier Processing, heard some scary stuff about that operation. There was a processor on Wagon Wheel in Show Low that I cannot locate any info on, may be closed. Their skinner looked like Queequeg, from Moby Dick! Eeker

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for taking the time, Mary. To be honest, the real issue was more getting the meat somewhere to be processed--or frozen--while we continmue to hunt (we are after small game as well) locally, as we will be staying in a crappy little motel with no reefer to speak of (wide open here for the wiseapples Wink ). Your suggestion would work fine if we all got our javies the day before leaving, but should we tag out on days 1-4 of our six day hunt, we were hoping somewhere local could either store or process.

I hunted the SCATR once before, and the rez itself is, frankly, one of the bleakest, saddest, most dilapidated places I have seen in the US. And having lived most of my life in and around the inner city with all its ghettos and the like, that's saying a lot. Frowner The area where we'll hunt is pretty spectacular to my eyes, however.

I suppose we could haul coolers and buy ice a few times, but frankly, would rather avoid the hassle. Not sure if any local businesses might be interested in freezing/holding meat for a fee, but we'll see. I don't suppose a local convenience store might go for it: "Hi there, I'll have a Slurpee, some jerky, a burrito, a pack of butts, and a rental of some space in your ice cream cooler for these here javelina, please..." Smiler

Thanks again for your help.

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Wow...I really brain farted recommending Flagstaff as you are going to be east of Phoenix.(was imaging wrong Res) I still may be of some help, will you be nearer to Globe or Safford on your hunt? One of our employees grew up in Globe and is presently on San Carlos, coues deer hunting. He knows that area inc. the Res quite well. When he gets back I'll see what info he can share. I know a taxidermist down in Safford (if you will be closer to the southern part of the Res,) who may be able to give me some info.

Is this a guided hunt?

We have a bit of time before you head out this way, I'll see what I can come up with for you.

We hunt elk (cow meat tags) on the White Mountain Apache Res just north of where you will be at. There is some beautiful country in there.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Hilliard-Krueger:
Wow...I really brain farted recommending Flagstaff as you are going to be east of Phoenix.(was imaging wrong Res) I still may be of some help, will you be nearer to Globe or Safford on your hunt? One of our employees grew up in Globe and is presently on San Carlos, coues deer hunting. He knows that area inc. the Res quite well. When he gets back I'll see what info he can share. I know a taxidermist down in Safford (if you will be closer to the southern part of the Res,) who may be able to give me some info.

Is this a guided hunt?

We have a bit of time before you head out this way, I'll see what I can come up with for you.

We hunt elk (cow meat tags) on the White Mountain Apache Res just north of where you will be at. There is some beautiful country in there.

Mary,

No worries, and thanks a bunch again for your trouble. We'll be fairly close to Globe, I'm fairly certain. Not a guided hunt. Just a couple of donkeys from New England and one Montanan looking to have a good time and in the process have a great hunt. Wink I have hunted the same area once before, and while clearly I am hardly an expert, know about what to expect and what I'm looking for. Any and all assistance very much appreciated.

Best,

KG