THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: First Wyoming mulie and antelope, Pictures.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: First Wyoming mulie and antelope, Pictures.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Doc: Congratulations! Glad to hear of your success in Unit 32. Your antelope buck appears to be similar in size to the ones I saw there in September - a good trophy, just not outstanding. Hope your time hunting there was as enjoyable as mine was.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc: Congratulations. Nice looking animals.

Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, for another do-it-yourself hunt, I tagged out in Wyoming. I got the goat the day of arrival, and got the mulie on the last day 5 minutes before I told myself I had to leave. I had the long drive down to Cortez, CO to meet my brother for our Colorado mulie hunt. I was unsuccessful there. The mulie in Wyoming was a 3 year old buck but the area is suffering a 6 year drought. He was the biggest buck I saw in Wyoming, and his headgear is small for his age. There were much better bucks in the high country but there were also a bunch of hunters. The goat fell to my Shilen barreled 300 Ultra Mag, 200 Accubond over Re25. I wasn't really trophy hunting for antelope, just wanted a mature buck. The mulie dropped from the good old 30.06 with the PacNor barrel (one of my favorite barrels!!), 168 triple shock over H4350. No bullet recovery. Both animals only went a short distance, STRAIGHT DOWN. Both were shot at about 165 yards. Both, unfortunately, were free hand shooting. Something I need to work on...just got lucky in these cases. Damn that sun was bright first thing in the morning during my mulie pics.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Congratulations Doc. where did you get them at?

The goat was taken west of Casper in unit 32. The mulie was taken on the Two Bar ranch off 487 about another 8 miles further south.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt. Congratulations

Posts: 51 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yea, I found a great little piece of private property, very small, but a gold mine for big antelope bucks. He only has a small bit of land in 32, but if I get a tag next year for the same unit, I can go back and probably shoot a good 15-16 on the first day. I took pictures of 8 different bucks on his place the very next day.

I'll be putting in for a limited entry area next year, either 87 or 89, for deer.

I saw a whitetail at the butcher's and it would have scored in the 180's. I was shocked. His neck was 27" just below the ears.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Conglads on the 2 nice bucks !! DOC--FYI---there are NO deer or elk in SW Colorado. Better stick to WY

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you!!

Man it looks dry as a bone out there!!...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Ok Ok, I'll keep it quiet.

But you and I know differently don't we?