Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dog hunting whitetail deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Those dogs running those deer make good target practice.JMO

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bubbahusbands,

I have taken many a deer in front of a good dog. In the brush country of Northern California shots range from point blank to as far as you feel comfortable shooting. You don't need any special rifle. Just use the one you would use if still hunting in the same country. I have used lever actions, bolt actions and semi-auto�s for deer being chased by dogs. Scopes from 1X to 6x-24x variables. Calibers from .243 to .450 Marlin. What you really need is practice at moving targets. One thing you don�t want to do is shoot one of the dogs, either by accident or on purpose. Them dog owners take a dim view of someone shooting at, wounding or killing one of their dogs. Many value their dogs more than your life.< !--color--> Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bubbahusbands
posted Hide Post
What is a good gun to use hunting running deer? I need a gun that can shoot close up and far away. So what do I need? I'm hunting in north Louisiana.

Posts: 7 | Location: Louisiana, USA | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Practice! Practice! Practice! Since you mentioned running deer specifically, hardly anyone practices shooting a moving target to simulate a running deer. I have let several deer pass because they were running and just didn't feel like I could be precise enough not to wound instead of kill the deer.
That being said, a well made semi-auto rifle (like a Browning Bar)with a low power / high eye relief scope in short action caliber will be your best bet.
.243, 7mm-08 or .308 would be a good choice. If most of your stands would likely result in the deer coming within 50yds then go with a shotgun and OO Buckshot.
Good Luck.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I would recommend the 7600 pump-action Remington line for that kind of hunting. If you are going to be fairly close (Less than 70 yards), I would use a good shotgun loaded w/ 3" 000 Buckshot w/ a Modified choke.

If you are a good wing shooter, hitting a runing deer isn't too difficult as long as they are fairly close (150 yards or less). I would suggest you use a pretty fast cartridge such as a 270 win or 30-06 because w/ the slower carts, leads can be difficult.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
More important than action type would be a gun that fits you to a T. Many people have trouble aquiring the sight picture, either with a peep, open or scope( my choice) because the gun does not mount properly. It should come to your shoulder just like a favoured shotgun and you want to see the sights clearly without having to move your head up, down, forward or back. I have shot a fair number of running whitetails and mulies using everything from a Browning B78 single shot and H&R Handi rifles with custom stocks, Rem 788, Lee Enfield, with a home made cheek rest and a Tikka Whitetail Hunter.
I do not do well if I try to hold an established lead but prefer to swing through and shoot as the muzzle passes the deer. THe distance ahead depends on the range and if the deer is really hauling ass or doing the gracefull bounding .

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where I hunt, there is a high liklihood of hitting unseen intervening brush when deer hunting - especially on running deer. For this reason, I recommend a "quick shooter" (lever, pump or autoloader), because a quick follow-up shot is often the difference between success and failure in the field.

I tend to prefer a good "middle cartridge" over an old timer like the 30-30. Just in case a longer shot may present itself.

The guns I use or have used that I think are ideal for this type of hunting are: Remington autos in 30-06 and 6mm, Remington pumps in 30-06 and .35 Whelen, BLR in .358 Winchester and a BAR in .308.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Bubba, Many years ago when I lived in Alabama and hunted with some old boys who used hounds on deer I found the perfect arm. I had a double barrel 10 guage shotgun that I bought at a yard sale "sawed off" from 36" barrels to 20" barrels. I loaded it with one #4 buck (10 guage holds 54 pellets) and one OO buck (18 pellets in a 10). As long as the deer was less than 50 yards away when it exited the swamp I held for the head. Deer went ass over applecart every time. If over 50 yards-- I watched him run!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WHEN WE used to hunt deer in Canada, we used dogs and the deer would really be moving along.
This was in my "youth" (teens)when I would be spening the summers shooting about a 1000 rounds a week of .22lr ammo through my Nylon66, so I would be using my 742 which is just a grown up Nylon66 as far as feel. Iron sights as the shooting is close and quick.
It was simply practice that gives you the ability to shoulder and shoot on moving animals. Back then I used to shoot clay pigeons thrown out of a thrower with the Nylon66 fairly regularly(did 9 in a row once, but on the average would hit every 4th or 5th one thrown) so a deer with a 30-06 wasn't that tough.
THe trick to hitting moving is PRACTICE.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote