beams: 32 inches each
G1: 10 inches ea
G2: 14 in. ea
G3: 15 in. ea
G4: 11 in. ea
mass: 45 inches
droptine: 7 inches
We have him grossing around 243 and netting 224 typical. The deer
Field dressed 228lbs!!!!! One of the biggest we have ever seen.

Justin Feild
King Ranch Wildlife Biologist
P.O.Box 1090
Kingsville, TX 78364
off: 361-221-0311
cell: 361-219-0415

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Wow!!!!! That's a nice'un Eeker

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fish story to me...

10" G1's I think not

7" dropper I must be blind

45" on the H's Nope I doubt that as well

Nice deer but not the whole story for sure

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Mark, I nearly laughed out loud when I read 10" G-1's... riiiight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong, but I would imagine that deer cost as much as a nicely equipped, brand new SUV and a years worth of gas for it. Or a good safari with DG on the menu.

Nice deer though.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer, if it was totally wild, not bred for the purpose, or not part of an "enhanced herd."

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are the droptines? Not one tine on that deer is over ten inches long. I don't think there has ever been a whitetail taken with over a 30" spread. I think this deer would score somewhere around 180". Second time I've seen that story. Different deer this time though. Check out the trophy watch section on the B&C website. You can see the same story and a different deer. I still don't think I would have hesitated pulling the trigger.

Posts: 36 | Location: lubbock,texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Nice deer, if it was totally wild, not bred for the purpose, or not part of an "enhanced herd."

the chef

Where is Congress when you need them to investigate "Performance Enhancing" Whitetail supplements. ;-)

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That picture does not go with the stats,i have the picture somewhere that belongs with those stats,and it does have the drop tines,etc. Don't know about the weight though,as the deer on the king ranch are not noted for being heavy

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That email has been circulating with several different pictures, none of which match the numbers (although one does have drops it was apparently taken in Mexico). Just another internet email thing, although the pictures are usually quite nice.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I also don't believe for one second that mut field dressed at "228 lbs"... BS!

one of us
posted Hide Post
ryno

I know it's an extreme rarity, but I saw a whitetail mount that went over 31 inches inside. It was found dead in Illinois somewhere, I saw it along with a bunch of huge whitetail mounts at the Kansas City Sports show about five years ago. It didn't measure as well as some of the others, but was easily the most impressive rack to me.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The stats do not match the photo...The G2 is larger on one side and small on the other...Where is the drop tine???
That is a dandy buck but I would like to know correct stats.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryno:
.... I still don't think I would have hesitated pulling the trigger.

If you check out the price list for the King Ranch you might hesitate. Wink

ETA

$20,000
Price list for King Ranch

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jstevens,
I was looking at typical whitetails in the B&C record book and didn't see any over thirty inches wide. I would be willing to bet that there are a few nontypicals that went over thirty in the B&C book.
Duckear,
I don't think I would be hunting anywhere they charge a trophy fee based on what the animal scores.
Everyone,
I was doing a little diging and, I don't even think that deer came off the King Ranch. You can go to the TPWD website and they have a link for the texas big game awards. Region 8 has photos of deer that were harvested on the King ranch this year.

If you can't tell posting on the internet is still new to me.
Ryan

Posts: 36 | Location: lubbock,texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryno:
Duckear,
I don't think I would be hunting anywhere they charge a trophy fee based on what the animal scores.
.....Ryan

Me either. Too much like shopping and not enough like hunting.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted Hide Post
.....the best deer money can buy. That describes most texas hunting.

Posts: 91 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
The deer that is pictured is not the deer that is described. I will post a picture of the deer described. He is a MONSTER.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High Fence Don't Count

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Sullivan:
The deer that is pictured is not the deer that is described. I will post a picture of the deer described. He is a MONSTER.

It is a beauty but was not killed on the King Ranch. Here is the link -- it was killed in Mexico.

As I said before I think the whole King Ranch buck email is just a hoax. It even made the Dallas Morning News outdoors page as a hoax. Here is the link, but you have to register. This is a brief exerpt:

As a joke, Feild had a photo taken of himself with a client's nice buck. The wide-antlered deer had a small droptine and scored about 159 B&C. Like a fisherman holding his catch out toward the camera, Feild squatted well behind the deer to make it look bigger.

He then sent the digital photo to a handful of friends, along with an outrageous list of measurements that totaled 243 gross typical points.

"It was a joke," said a chagrined Feild, "but it got totally out of hand. Within two days, that e-mailed photo had traveled from California to Florida and everywhere in between. The day after I sent the original e-mail, I sent out an e-mail explaining it was just a joke, but it was too late."

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:
High Fence Don't Count

The deer on the King Ranch are generally killed on low-fenced pastures. I have heard that they have a small high-fenced area with some exotics, but am not certain of that.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Awesome bucks regardless...

Drum

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless our Northern friends be offended by a couple of miles say 1300 acres that are fenced by a contiguous landowner, I think the Yturris, who raise the exotics as you mentioned. This 1300 acres out of some 800,000+ of low fence probably offends some of our purists.

My guess is that the measurements are of the beautiful specimen taken by one of the "ranch hands" much to the chagrin of a couple of "owners"! I think it was in 2000 or thereabouts.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
Awesome bucks regardless...

Drum

Yes they are!

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Those prices are out of hand. WOW 20K for a 200+ deer. That is EXPENSIVE!

That is one hell of a whitey regardless.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Unless you call the Gulf of Mexico a fence, almost all of the King Ranch is free range.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually time flies when you are having fun. The record deer I recalled above was actually taken in 1997, a typical 12x12 with double drops. Gross scored 246 and net 239 5/8 and weighed a whopping 105 lbs field dressed. Yeah, and the ranch hand was turkey hunting at the time. My guess is that those who require "book" animals in their game room could really care less about putting down $20,000 for this animal and my guess is that he would not get this one for his $20,000. Ya'll come on down to the great brush country of S. Texas and enjoy! Biologist aged the buck at 6 1/2. Prime time no less.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say the reason its not fenced......it's so dang big why, covers a whole bunch of South Texas. Only high fence I know of is the Chapman Ranch high fence that divides the Chapman and King. They may have a high fence or two around the big house,loop road and Riskin pasture, but its open range as Harry said, I would guess every deer on the place could head east and jump in the gulf of mexico and swim away if they wanted to.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duckear
one of us

Posted 30 January 2006 16:02
Me either. Too much like shopping and not enough like hunting.

That deer might at the most weigh 115lbs dressed...lets see $20,000+ / 115lbs = $174 a pound, skin and bone included of course. Enjoy...Richie Rich at his best.

thumbdown

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Money and locale aside, anyway we cut it, that is one fine buck. Super pic and stuff dreams are made of. Who here remembers when the pictures of Yellow Boy were selling for 300$?

On the 31" spread buck mentioned previously, wasn't that one verified as being fake horns?

'Edited for por spellin'

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
This whole thread proves the "rubber tape" is alive and well in Texas... VERY nice deer though!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Loking at all the B.S. dim. for all the points spread field dressed size ect. the man in the picture must be HUGE!!! 7 ft.4" 375 lbs or something like that? Realy nice buck though.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote