THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Where to go boar hunting in N. California

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go boar hunting in N. California
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've alway wanted to go boar hunting and was told by several people that boar hunting in
Northern California was awesome with beautiful rolling hills
. I wished I had asked them where to go in N. California for these 300+ pounds boars. I've been hunting feral pigs here in Oregon but I've only seen maybe 2 or 3 in a split second in the last 4 years.
Anybody know where to go? I'm hoping for area close to Oregon/California as possible being that I will be driving from Portland, Oregon.
Thanks for responding.

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I use to live in Redding and did quite a bit of pig hunting down out of the Corning area. The thing is, all the good pig hunting is private. You pretty much have to know a rancher to get on somewhere. I believe there is a couple ranchs that offer pay hunts down around the Willows area. I can't remember the name though. Also, if you really want to get access to some good pig and deer hunting you could join that Wilderness Unlimited Club, if you got the extra money.
The pig hunting is can be awesome in N. California. I killed one huge hog that went #350 and a few others in the #200 range. The ranch I hunted was 7500 acres so I had a HUGE area to hunt. Good luck in finding a spot. Feel free to email with any ?'s.

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zippy The Pinhead
posted Hide Post
 -

The above image comes from the CA Department of Fish & Game. It is a bit dated but you can see where the pigs are being taken.

From articles like this one and other readings, my understanding is that about 90% of all wild pigs taken in California are harvested on private land.

About 15 years ago I tried a half-dozen pig hunting trips on public land-- Los Padres National Forest, near Arroyo Grande, and King City-- and those experiences, in which my friends and I hiked all over some fairly rough terrain, and basically learned that it was very difficult to even find pigs on public land, let alone shoot one of them, were the main reason I decided to join Wilderness Unlimited.

Now, I have been inactive as a member for about six years. I got too busy to go hunting, and when the San Diego area deer property which I used to frequent fell off the list of WU properties, I decided to became an inactive member. That means, basically, that I pay $50 per year to keep my spot and receive the monthly flyer from WU.

However, when I was active, WU membership provided me access which, in my opinion, was definitely worth the money. After experiencing the danger and the disappointment of the California A-Zone deer season opening day, I think I am entitled to give my opinion on this matter. Frequently, my friend and myself have been the only members on a particular piece of property. We've basically had many square miles of woods to ourselves. At night you have the pleasure of being the only group using a particular camp site. Some of the properties are incredibly scenic and wonderful, and by and large, I would say that there is much better hunting than one typically finds on public lands.

The following post appeared on another forum:
quote:

The downside to WU hog hunting is that the ranches are not planted in crops, so you really have to dig out the hogs. �Sometimes I've been on ranches where all the hogs have moved out and there isn't a track. �This is uncommon, though. �The average hunt is where myself and maybe two other hunters share a 5000-10,000 acre ranch and over the course of 2 days one of us gets a hog. �I average one hog for every two times I go, which is pretty good. �Nobody is allowed to use dogs and there is no night hunting. �About 1/3 the time I have an entire ranch to myself. �We have hog seasons, a summer season [archery earlier and rifle later], a fall season [archery and rifle], a winter season, and a spring season with gaps in between. �Basically, there are about 7 months allocated to hogs and 5 months rested. �All other seasons are the same as Fish and Game. �

I think this is a pretty fair characterization of what you can expect. It is consistent with my experience.

Posts: 276 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 22 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Finley and Zippy The Pinhead,
thanks for responding, at least you have narrowed down my research time and area.
Well it looks its a waste of time hunting public land and that perhaps I would be better off paying a guide & outfitter or to pay access fee to private land holders.
Do you know of private hunt leases or ranches in N. California?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Norseman,

I've got a webpage with more info, a list of guides and ranches and maps on public hog land at

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/calhog.html

There is also a hog forum there with many California hog slayers for current updates on hogs taken and where.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
spectr17, thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have corresponded with Kyler Hamann that posts here on AR quite a bit. I believe he runs a good operation for feral hogs and deer in CA. Perhaps you should contact him. khamann@boaring.com

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I have corresponded with Kyler Hamann that posts here on AR quite a bit. I believe he runs a good operation for feral hogs and deer in CA. Perhaps you should contact him. khamann@boaring.com

I have hunted with Kyler's outfit twice. Both hunts were outstanding. I plan to hunt piggies with him again this year. Great guide, and fun to be around. I'd highly recommend him. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark H. Young or Ngrumba,
what part of California do these hunt take place?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler Haman hunts the Parkfield area, south-central California. It's inland from Paso Robles and San Miguel, between the 5 and the 101 freeways. There should be some places further north.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
I have hunted with Kyler twice...very professioanl set up. A groupf of us poster are hunting with him in April and I have another hunt schedule with him for May 16th.

Mike

<John Thompson>
posted
I got on this thread to refer you to Kyler Hamann. It looks as if he's been well represented which is nice to see. I've hunted with Kyler over 20 times and he has become a very good friend. We went to Africa together last year, first time for both of us. If you are looking for fair chase hunting with an ethical, honest guide, you can do no better. He's also one of the most knowledgeable persons I've ever met concerning firearms, and if you like sporting clays can probably teach you a thing or two. Email him at khamann@boaring.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put me on the Kyler Hamann band wagon too. I have hunted with him 5 or 6 times over the years. He is honest, reliable, knowledgable and provides great service.

The greatest thing about him is his discretion. He will sometimes tell you of some goofy things he has had clients do, but he doesn't name names (kind of like Heidi Fleiss). However, I am convinced that most of his stories involve Mark Jackson (Africa2003) and Mike Dettorre [Big Grin]

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zippy The Pinhead
posted Hide Post
I also have a hunt booked with Kyler for mid-April, my first.

Anyway, Norseman, the following post came off a different forum but I thought it was quite a good summary of Wilderness Unlimited's operation, which I mentioned in an above post.

quote:

Hopefully this post won't blow up in my face but I'll give you my honest opinion on the subject of Wilderness Unlimited. I've been a member now for 5 years and for me, it's been a good investment. For others, it is not a good investment. First, I'd like to take issue with some comments made on other JHP WU threads.
First, some people on this forum have commented that the hog hunting on WU properties is no better than on public property. I've taken 9 hogs during the past 5 years on WU ranches in Central CA and have hog hunted about 25 times during those 5 years, each hunt lasting an average of 2 1/2 days. That's a 36% success rate per hunt. Many WU members hunt roads and don't do well and complain, but I park and hump it over the horizon, often taking my hogs 2 or 3 miles from my truck. Look back through the hog hunting threads and you'll find literally hundreds of references to JHP members hunting on public land but very, very few success stories. In my experience, WU properties are much better than public land but not as good as Tejon P-O-R hunts, where success seems to be about 50%. On guided hunts, success at Tejon and elsewhere is virtually 100%. WU does not compare with those statistics at all.
Second, a comment was made that WU is a pyramid scheme. If so, I should benefit financially for referring new members, but I have never received a thing for doing that, not even a thank you. I'm unaware of any kickbacks or incentives for bringing in new members.
Third, one person stated that WU sounds like some sort of cult. Well, he's right because every third Tuesday after the full moon all 2000 members of WU meet at an abandoned airplane hanger outside of Barstow and dance naked around a bonfire at midnight, chanting Druid fertility prayers while lightning crackles overhead. It's a good place to meet chicks.
From my experience, the deer hunting in northern CA on WU ranches is pretty good, as is the hunting on WU properties outside of Tehachapi. On the A zone properties in Central CA, I haven't had much luck. How much of that can be blamed on the drought or my lack of skill, I have no idea.
I've hunted Tamarack in the Imperial Valley many times and have averaged 5 ducks on Sat morning and 2 on Sunday morning, that is, up until the last 2 years. The waterfowl hunting for me has been lousy the past 2 years but it's been lousy for other hunters in the Imperial Valley due to weather, among other factors. I don't think it has anything to do with WU waterfowl management practices.
I've taken many doves and quite a few quail on WU properties, but I've really had to work for the quail.
What appeals to me most at my advanced age is that I often have the ranches to myself. I just love to hike around or ride my mountain bike and not see a soul and not worry about theft or vandalism to my vehicle or camp. The hunting becomes almost secondary. That's what I really spend my money on---solitude, serenity, and security, none of which I could find on public property.
Now, on to the flip side. Many members of this forum make reference to high pressure sales tactics. I didn't experience that because I talked to quite a few members in advance and simply signed up, paid my dues, and didn't have anybody pester me. But the consensus on this forum seems to be that the sales staff at WU does indeed apply the pressure and I'm sure, based upon what I've read here, that there is credence in that.
Is it hard to get reservations for opening day on the more popular ranches? It sure is. I don't even apply. I just reserve a hunt for the Thurs-Sat following opening day and seem to do pretty well. Can you bring guests? Not for big game. Only the immediate members of your own family can go unless you upgrade your membership. You also can't have campfires and you can't hunt big game with dogs. You can't litter or get drunk or use any form of motorcycle/ATV, nor may you drive off road in your truck or car. You must adhere to all CA regs and even adhere to some of the stricter WU regs, and if you don't, the brass will toss you out.
Who wouldn't benefit from a membership to WU? In my opinion, anyone who only gets away a couple or three times a year to hunt. You'd do better on guided hunts or at Tejon. If you like to hunt with your buddies, don't join unless they, too, join. If you're in Southern CA, as mentioned by another JHP member, there are fewer properties in the south half of CA now because so many leases expired. Some of the best ranches are gone. WU has recently acquired 2 new ranches in Central CA and just renewed a previously expired lease at Los Gatos ranch outside of Coalinga. This is a very good ranch for hogs and quail. WU is actively trying to get new Central CA leases, but who knows how successful they'll be. But still, Southern CA big game hunters don't have a lot of properties to choose from. If money is an issue, it will cost you about $1300 per year for dues and an initiation fee [I have no idea what that is now] your first year. That ain't cheap for the working family man who only gets away a few times a year.
Who would, in my opinion, find WU a worthwhile investment? If you hunt a lot, don't mind walking a mile or more from your vehicle, like solitude, are a firm believer in fair chase hunting, have a few members in your family who like to hunt, camp, and/or fish, and would be satisfied with a hunting success rate somewhere between the <1% on public land and the 50% on P-O-R hunts, hunt more than just deer or just hogs, like to camp out in very rustic settings, and don't mind not getting a spot on opening weekend, you'll probably be very happy. If you live in Northern CA, you've really got it made, with many properties to choose from. Also, archery hunters have it made because WU has separate archery seasons and some ranches are archery only. When I archery hunt, I always see deer or pigs, almost always get a shot, and rarely see another hunter.
One last comment: A gentleman in a post above mentioned Will Valley on Palomar Mountain in San Diego County and the fact that his hunt was cancelled with no real advance notice. He's absolutely right. I know all the details of why WU lost the lease with no advance notice and it has to do with an "interaction" between a resident on private land adjoining the WU ranch and one of our members. It also involves the Sheriff, gunshots, and the complete disintegration of the fragile relationship between the legal owner of the ranch at Will Valley and hunters in general, all as a consequence of the "interaction" mentioned above.
WU works for some and not for others, but detractors shouldn't bash it unless they have the facts and supporters shouldn't praise it unless they have the facts. Do your research and decide what works for you.
If the readers of this post wish, I'll post my full name, address, and home phone # so you can find out for yourself if I have any relationship with WU other than as a member or you can call/write me and chew me out or whatever. I'm trying to be honest and will not hide behind my forum name or e-mail address.

Posts: 276 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 22 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping I could use a guide or pay a access fee at a ranch in Northern California for boars but it looks like the further south you go the better the boar hunting is or success rate. So for those that used Kyler Hamann services could you tell me what methods were involved in harvesting a boar such sniping in the early morning, use of dogs, glassing, road hunting or is it stalking and hiking the hills and hope you see one like elk hunting? Zippy the pinhead thanks for your posting as I'm trying to justify the $1500.00

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Shumba,

Just remember pay back is a bitch.

Hugs & Kisses

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing the hogs come out of the barley fields heading to the brushy foothills at sunrise, spot and stalking in the hills, some hiking to hot spots, etc.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
CA Hunter is right...1st thing in the AM is usually trying to catch them in a field. After that its some glassing may be a little hiking...then ambush as they head back to the fields that night.

I would definitely add the ground squirrel or sporting clays during the day...as there is a big break between about 11:00am and 5pm.

[ 03-05-2003, 18:09: Message edited by: Mike Dettorre ]

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shumba:
However, I am convinced that most of his stories involve Mark Jackson (N'gagi) and Mike Dettorre [Big Grin] Tim

Like the big sow I missed at 30 yards from a rest?

It wasn't me, I swear. The darn thing ducked when she saw that big Barnes X coming at her her. That or I just didn't want to kill one five minutes into the first morning of the first day of our hunt. That or the truck was too far away to drag her in the rain. Or a raindrop hit my good eye. [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

Those are my stories, and I'm sticking to them!

You can't go wrong with Kyler.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote