Find
Notify
Tools

Muskox, need some help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,

Anyone on here hunted muskox? if so, how was the hunt? who did you hunt with...ect.

Thanks so much!

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search here and Canada forum.

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I did a Caribou/Musk ox combo hunt in Sept, 2004 with Bekere Lake outfitters in the Northwest Territories. My guide was Jonah Nakimayak.

We flew from Inuvik to camp in a twin Otter. Camp was a modern two story building with electricity and running water for washing and showers. They had hauled in the construction materials by snowmobile and with the twin otter.

Camp was located on the edge of Bekere Lake which has northern pike and lake trout. Bring some basic fishing tackle. There were 3 other hunters in camp that only hunted caribou. Temperatures would get below freezing at night and probably into the 40's during the days. Very comfortable hunting.

We hunted from camp on ATV's, usually going to a high point and glassing for the game. Our licenses allowed for two caribou, and I had a tag for Musk ox. All hunters each shot two caribou, and I think I shot the smallest two bulls, and one of mine still qualified for B & C, as did my Musk ox.

One night I had to go outside about 3 AM, and saw the most spectacular display of Northern Lights that I have ever seen.

I hunted with a 7mm Rem mag shooting 160 gr Accubond handloads.

We saw caribou every day, but only one herd of Musk ox, but we only looked specifically for Musk ox for two days. At that time, Jonah was 100% successful in finding his musk ox hunters their bulls.

My Musk ox

My largest Caribou

And the finished mounts of my Musk ox and both Caribou

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME Hunt and mounts.
Definalty on the to do list.
W. Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story Buffybr!

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at Fred Webb. He hunts out of Kugluktuk (Coppermine). Our group of 3 hunters all took B&C bulls in March 4 years back. But be ready for some REAL cold weather, like -30 degrees.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is people I have checked out and will be booking a hunt with.

ACE WILDERNESS GUIDING -1-888-286-0433

Caribou - Moose - Bear - Whitetail - Musk-Ox - Mule Deer - Waterfowl - Fishing

Visit www.manitobahunts.com/hunts.html for rates, dates, stats.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guy would HAVE to do a full mount on something that special
Congratulations on a spectacular hunt.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy would HAVE to do a full mount on something that special
Congratulations on a spectacular hunt.

Thanks, I went up on that hunt planning to do a shoulder mount. I even had a place on a wall for him.

There was a taxidermist helping out in camp that had previously shot a Musk ox and had life size mounted his. He helped to talk me into the full mount, even though he knew I would have another taxidermist do the work.

I shot him in mid September and even though he didn't have a full "under fur" coat, I think he made a beautiful mount. The guard hairs on his back legs are over a foot long.

Now that the mount is completed, I can't imagine that I even ever considered not having him mounted life size.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just in case you might fancy a hunt with dog sleds, you can also hunt muskox in Greenland - either with dogsleds in winter (March, actually), or in summer. You can also shoot 2 muskox, should that take your fancy. It is a pretty well organized outfit, run by local Greenlanders (or are they still termed eskimos?).

Website is only in German, but the guy who runs the website also speaks English. In fact, he occasionally posts here - I just can't remember his pen-name right now...

http://www.groenlandjagd.ch/

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote