THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    6mm Hornady 100g Interlock & others

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Hornady 100g Interlock & others
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted
Is anyone using this bullet out of their 6mm rem or 243?
I have no experience with 6mm hunting bullets and figured a heavy, tough flatbase bullet would be good for the sub-300 yard shots that I have available.
Would I be better served with a lighter bullet?
Several folks have recommended the Sierra 85g HPBT.
I will be using a 6mm Rem 700 bdl for a change from my 308.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLC-

I haven't killed any deer with my .243(yet [Big Grin] ), but I do like Hornady bullets. They have worked well for me on whitetails in .257 Roberts. I have been trying to decide what to load in my .243 also. Having looked around on the forum, it sounds like th 95gr Partition is getting a big thumbs up from everyone, so that is what I'm going to try in mine. I'm heading to the range in the morning to see how they shoot atop RL22. FWIW

Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Assuming you're talking about deer....I'd stay with the 100 grain bullets.....and interlocks are fine bullets.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
I meant to mention that the interlocks would be lobbed towards whitetails.
I'm about to test some loads in my 6mm with 4064, 4350 and BLC-2.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 100 gr hornadys at everything. I have used them even on elk. My 243 spits them out at 3140 on my chronograph. I have taken big mule deer out to 400 yards with no problem. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLC:

6 mm Bullets will not kill anything! Just ask many of the (so called) experts!

However until you get around to asking them, don't let your 6mm Hornady bullets know that they are not suppose to work on deer size game, and they will just go out and do the job they were intended to do.

I do have a preference for the 100 grain Round Nose, will It is still available. For shots up to 250 yrds, it opens well and penetrates superbly.

At least until an " expert" tells me it won't.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
I didn't think that I'd be undergunned with a heavy end of the 6mm bullet(hell, i heard people still use arrows to shoot deer). Just haven't done much shooting at deer. My 308 works more than adequately and to be honest my Marlin 25MN would be enough gun in my neck of the woods. Just curious to see how popular the interlock is and if there is a better bullet out there.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have used the 100gr hornady with great success on Whitetail and Hogs up to 200 lbs. One of my favorite loads is 47 gr.H4831 with that bullet very accurate and takes them to the ground with one shot. I would work up to this load from 45 gr as it is MAX in my rifle and may be over in yours. I also shoot a BDL in 6 mm Rem.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<jayloar>
posted
I've had very good luck with the 100gr Hornady SPBT out of a 243. This year my wife took a beautiful 6x5 muley with one shot at a lasered 295 yards. Live weight was in the mid 300's. We found a perfect mushroom just under the skin on the off shoulder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also had good luck with the 100 gr. BTSP interlock out of a .243 winchester. I reloaded this bullet for accuracy not speed and it's going about 2750fps from her ruger "22inch barrel".

My girlfriend shot a forked horn buck this year at 150 yards offhand and it was quartering away. The bullet entered midway back in the ribs breaking a rib on the way in and EXITED the oposite side infront of the adjacent shoulder. No signs of bullet break up at all, a perfect pass through and 50 cent piece destruction all the way through. An exit hole about the size of a fifty cent piece.

I was impressed, to say the least. [Wink]

Posts: 165 | Location: BAKER CITY OREGON!!!!!! | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
Excellent news.
Thanks for all the responses.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot lots of deer, antelope, and coyote with the 100 Gr. Hornady. Never had a problem, almost always got complete penetration. I gave my 243 to my son about 15 years ago, and he's taken many deer with the same combination, I've also shot several animals with my .243 AI and the same bullet.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My load shoot's the Hornady spire point boattail at 3000fps, and it works great on deer.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLC,
My brother has killed truck loads of deer with the 100 gr. cor-lok bullets in his 243. I think they are about as good as you would want for deer size animals at 50 to 300 yards.

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I've shot quite a few hogs at least 1 blacktail deer and the longest shot on a coyote made using 100grn btsp Hornady AA4350 powder WinLR primers.For about 5 years My 6mm Rem 700 BDL was the meat pole .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote