Find
Notify
Tools

Oink oink....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
We've never had hogs on this particular property, but several herds of the little bastids have moved in and began the destruction during the past few months. I was hanging a bow stand this morn and could smell the stinky rascals.

Been getting pics of this guy the past few weeks and finally got a chance to get after him.

There's a gas line ROW about 300yds North of that cam, so I slipped along the brush line to glass a creek bottom. As soon as I made it to the crest of the ridge I spotted a large dark figure in some yellow grass, so I gave it a look-see and it was him. I started trying to find a prop as the ridge wouldn't allow for a kneeling shot, but he had other plans and started heading for the brush. Had to make a quick free hand shot to the top of the shoulder at a mere 75yds and down he went. 338 Federal with 200 Hdy SPILFB over AA2015BR at 2550fps MV did the job. No exit, but they are tough little dudes, especially on bone behind the shields.

Had to call a relative to help me load the rascal, I figure he was around 225lbs. Not nearly my biggest boar, but pretty nice for a woods hog. Now on to the sows and a few shoults for some table fair. This guy has been running with a sow about 150lbs and 5 shoults about 75lbs each.

You sort of have to tip yer hat to a fella that totes these around:

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look into my eyes...
That's quite a close up photo

A little moisturizer or some Gold Bond would've kept them soft and supple.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. At some point that ones genes had what we call in the UK 'saddleback' a recognised older breed of pig. There are 2 types 'Wessex' where the ears cover the eyes when rooting and ?Essex where they don't.

Good job - what pray is a SPILFB?

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
That is a good one!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote