New
Find
Notify
Tools

feral pigs/hogs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got invited to hunt some of these over baited sites near low grounds, shooting from blinds, meat hunting only, would like head shots what is the minimum caliber i could use

posted Hide Post
For head shots, a .22 centerfire with Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded, or Barnes 'X' will do, but a sensible minimum would .243 with 90-100gr. bullets.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
When I lived in Texas I shot lots of them with a Ruger #1A in 7x57 with the 139 gr. Hornady, and feel that rifle is totally adequate. It kills well and is nice to carry. I also shot a few with the .350 Rem., .45 Colt, and .300 Win. I keep hearing how tough they are, but they always seemed to die fairly easily for me. Put a decent bullet in the vitals and they won't survive long.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've killed dozens with 6.5X55, 7X57 and 270's. My daughter (age 8) shoots them with a 250 Sav or a 6.5X55.
If I mess up a head-shot and have a "runner", I feel best equipped with anything larger than a 243.

[This message has been edited by ForrestB (edited 12-19-2001).]

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
The slanted skull can turn a fast, light bullet. I saw an Irishman after he danced a few rounds with one after a 243 glanced off a hog's skull, knocking it out - temporarily. I think a bigger, slower heavier bullet is called for on head shots (unless you are in a tree shooting down to improve the angle). A 308 Win is perfect, a 7x57 is very good, a 6.5x55 is a lot better than the .243.

They'll all do the job, though, as will a 44 magnum pistol shooting hardcast lead FN bullets.

Don

<Sauenj�ger>
posted
For a good shot in the head, a .22lr is enough.
But if it is not a good shot, you should find a tree to climb up quickly.
For all other shots use a caliber 6,5mm upwards with a hard bullet. Better .30 upwards.

<350RM>
posted
At close range, a heavy hart cast slug (44 mag) is enough, it is less noisy than these screamers we generally use, they waste less meat and the rilfes they are available in are really fun to use.
Apart from that, any serious hunting caliber will work. I love the 350, of course, but all others are fine too...
olivier

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks fellas i will be hunting out of a stand and we are aloud to bait 2 weeks before we can hunt so these should be chip shots 50 yds or less

<Mike Anderson>
posted
I would not hunt large hogs with a 22lr! I hope you have good health insurance! We have a decent number of hogs in the swamps down here. Visibility is not much, I would recommend at least a 30 cal.

I know a guy who shot a 400lb boar last year with a 12 ga slug and the boar made it all the way to his feet when it finished its charge. Granted this won't normally be the case but stuff happens! I am also considering our terrain yours may be greatly different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many hogs with my 6.5x55 and 140 grain hornady spire points. This rifle is equiped with a laser and we hang chemical light sticks with reflectors under our feeders and bait buckets. I have to say that I like to make solid neck shots and that my hog killin buddy shoots either a 22-250 or a 243 with no problems taking even big hogs out. We both wait for good angles and like heavy hornady bullets.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a lot of hogs with a 22 mag. It works great on hogs of 125 Lb or less. However I prefer my Marlin 375 Winchester with 220 Hornady's or Lyman 375449 cast soft. A 416 Taylor with 350 Speer soft point really puts down even the largest porker. Shoot what you shoot best. Out of a stand even pionted sticks work.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we're on the subject of wild hogs, what are their habits in the winter? Do they mainly stay in the woods, I haven't seen any in the open fields at night since the ground is frozen at night. What do they mainly eat in the winter? Will they come out in the open during the day to sun and warm up and get water when the surface of the ponds thaw out?

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Caveman>
posted
Head shots out of a blind??? I use a 22-250. No hog has ever strayed further than a few feet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
a hog will eat the same mast as a deer. Along with the deer if they happen to catch one. They are very opportunistic, destructive and aggressive with regards to forage. What areas they don't pick clean, they will tear up. Or pick clean and tear up.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogs travel like coyotes. They often travel 15 miles in a night to find food sources larg enough to curb their hunger. They will hang out near feeders though. Once they pattern you you won't get many shots.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To date I have used a 45/70 loaded with either woodleigh 405 gr at 1850 fps or 300 gr sierra hollow points at 2150 fps the woodleigh always gives complete penetration from any angle, the 300 gr sierra does on broadside shots not length ways. For longer range open plains N.S.W shootings I load my 30/06 with 165 gr ballistic tips, they work pretty well on hogs to.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Minimum 243.

Although as mentioned they are taken with .224 cals and even rimfires.

Karl

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
In Georgia during small game season, you must use 22 lr or shotguns with #4 shot or smaller.

Better know how to climb fast

And by the way, boar hogs have a thick cartilage along their shoulder to protect them when they are fighting. I always figured that with a .22 lr you should shoot them between the eyes if frontal or in the ear if sideways.

Haven't had the opportunity yet.

Bill Mc

[This message has been edited by Bill Mc (edited 01-01-2002).]

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad has a friend who hunts them with hounds and a butcher knife, but that is another story. We have taken them with 22 mag. fmj's, up close and personal, with head shots, or rather ear shots to be specific. My hunting buddy uses a 223 and a 243 and uses body shots if too far for head shots, with great success. Go figure. At close range as you have in mind, any hunting caliber over 22 should work. Pick your shots and go for head/neck area and you should be fine.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote