Find
Notify
Tools

Accubond performance question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
How has the accubond performed for you on deer?

Planning to use my 338WM for deer this year and had about decided to try the 225 gr. accubond. Got very good accuracy with this bullet @ 2800 fps in my rifle.

Shot a small wild hog with it and was a bit surprised at the tissue damage. Since this was a relatively close shot, figured that was the reason.

Yesterday, however, shot a small coyote @ 255 yards. Hit the spine right above the shoulder. Coyote was anchored where he fell and could see the damage done by first shot thru the scope at that range. His head was still erect, so shot again. He was looking straight at us and second shot hit him between the eyes. I was surprised to find an inch and a half entrance hole and a three inch exit hole in back of his head. I did not expect that much expansion/damage at that range, especially on such a light target.

Anyone used this bullet on deer; what has been your experience on game with it?

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
That does sound exccesive. I got some 200gr. BT thinking that they would splat varmints and the damage and exit wounds on 30lb critters resembled partition perfomence on big game. Can you give a little more description on the hog?

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Can you give a little more description on the hog?

The hog was hit low in the chest so that there was no entry/exit wound per se, just left an open wound about 8" wide and 6" across the lower chest. Dropped the hog in his tracks, but I'm wondering if these bullets are a bit more explosive than one would think.

I may go back to my old standby Nosler partitions for deer, but brush where I hunt is extremely thick and the quicker you can drop the animal, the better. I thought that with the relatively low velocity of the 338, the accubond might be just the ticket.

Appreciate any ideas/experience others may have on the subject.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote