Find
Notify
Tools

Mad Cow Disease in Western Herds?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cappy6
posted
I am planning an Elk hunting trip with a Friend that lives in Colorado, and he told me that he had heard that some of the local Elk herds have contracted the Mad Cow disease and that it is spreading to other herds. I haven't been able to find any reports of this, and am not sure that he is accurate on his information. Has anyone heard or read anything to validate this information?

Posts: 82 | Location: Seminole, AL | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not heard of mad cow disease in the western herds, although there is apparently some chronic wasting disease. I personally believe this has always been present in the wild herds, and has been pushed as a problem by the guy who got the grant to "study" it. This is a self limiting disease that some F&G departments have over-reacted to, in particular Wisconsin.
I'd go hunting and not worry about it. Even a healthy deer or elk carries a lot of parasites in the meat. Just cook it well, and enjoy.
Just my take on things. I'm not always right, but I'm always positive!

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cappy6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification on the information. I really enjoy Elk meat and was concerned about consuming it with the threat of it being tainted with this disease.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As per the 2003 Colorado big game license application book: CWD [chronic wasting disease] testing is MANDATORY is certain hunting units. they start in the northeast corner of the stare and extend to slightly west of Denver along the WY border.
CWD has been found in wild deer in NM,Nebraska,Wisconsin, Illinois,and Saskatchewan. It has also been found in captive elk herds in 8 states and 2 Canadian Provinces.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
AMEN Waksupi!!!

one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard.

Animals with the Chronic Wasting disease typically act different fro the rest of the heard. Not as alert or willing to flee.

Kinda like you with the flu. You are able to get up and move around but you really don't want to. The advice I've heard is to pay attention to the animals your hunting. If they are acting strange, you may want to have them tested.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cappy6
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all that have responded. The information has been very helpful.