New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Sako 75 Owners out there ? ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw an add in American Hunter of the Sako 75 Finnlight where they guaranteed MOA accuracy. I have never shot a Sako, but have handled their 75 Stainless Synthetic model and love it! It fit me like a glove and the action was very smooth unlike the American made rifles (Winchester, Remington, etc.). The Fin also comes with an adjustable trigger I believe from 2.5-4 Lbs. Not too bad for a factory rifle!

From those of you that own them I would like your opinion and please tell me which caliber you are shooting.

Thanks!

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
I own two 75's, one's a .300 Weatherby and the other's a 7mm Rem Mag. Mine are the Hunter version with the .300 Wby being stainless. I like everything about these rifles. They are accurate, reliable, well finished and they fit me really well. They have a very good factory trigger that is easily adjustable. The Sako Optilock scope mounts are really nice also. I would have to say I favor these rifles over any I have ever owned.

<roy p>
posted
Hello, I've been shooting a Sako 75 stainless synthetic in 30-06 for 4 years. I shoot factory ammo only. This is my elk and deer rifle, so I seldom shoot 3 or 5 shot groups. I'll shoot two shots, let her cool, then two more and let her cool, etc. I also like to shoot "24 hour" groups...shoot 2 shots, go home. Next day (or next week), shoot 2 shots at the same target. Next day (or next week), shoot two more at the same target. I've been very happy with my "groups".

But I wouldn't say that my rifle shoots gobs better than any other GOOD SHOOTING factory hunting rifle. I'd say that, in all honesty, the rifle is probably as good or maybe a little better in the accuracy department compared to similar rifles. Depending on the factory ammo (and I've tried lots of Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Federal, with 150 and 180 grain bullets of various types) I've astounded myself with lots of 3/8 inch "groups" (honest), and I've also gotten lots of 1 1/2 inch "groups" depending on the ammo, how I'm shooting that day, the wind, the phase of the moon.

What I really like about the Sako is that it fits me like a glove when I shoulder it and it just feels so good in my hands. The adjustable trigger is a definite plus also. It is a bit heavier than other rifles, but I have no complaints carrying it all day in the mountains here in New Mexico. Maybe I'm masochistic, but I like the heft, it feels good carrying that "heft" all day. Other factory rifles feel like toys compared to the Sako.

Bottom line, I've been very pleased with how it shoots. But the real advantage to the rifle is the feel. Everything about it feels like top quality. If I needed another rifle, I'd get another Sako in a second.

But then again, why do I need another hunting rifle since a 30-06 will do it all? roy p.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS!

[ 09-17-2002, 19:52: Message edited by: jcsabolt-2 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcsabolt-2:
[QB]You guys nailed it to me. "It just feels good" is exactly how I felt when I sholdered it. I shouldered every major manufacturers rifle at the gun shop, Ruger, Browning, Savage, Remington, Winchester and lastly Sako. I LOVED this gun! It even had a drop box magazine like every rifle should. At least the ones I want to own. When I shouldered the other rifles, they either didn't fit me, actions worked like someone finished it with a body grinder or just plain sounded and felt cheap.

Roy,
What ammo did yours like the best? I have been looking at a 30-06 too. Debating on to go with the Finnlight or not. What do you think?

It looks like I'm going to own two new "S" guns. A Savage in 223 and a Sako in 30-06. Two huge price extremes, but both sound very accurate. I'd buy 2 Sakos if I had the money. [Big Grin]

<roy p>
posted
Hello again, jcsabolt-2. My rifle absolutely scares me with its accuracy with Hornady 150 SST's. My "2-shot" groups are the best with that ammo. Next accurate is Hornady 180 SP flat base. Next is Remington 180 PSPCL. But when it comes to elk, I load it up with any brand of ammo with 180 Partitions. I always get decent accuracy with actually anything I feed it. Just remember, that I am happy with 1 1/2" at 100 yards. But I am a real stickler for consistency. I am not sure if I happened to get a "good one", or if all Sako's hold zero and are consistent shooters.

The Remington PSPCL and the Partition ammo do a funny thing in very cold temps, say 15 to 20 degrees F. The first shot from a fouled, very cold barrel is on average 1 1/4 inches up and left from the second, and if I feel like it, the third shots. This is consistent in very cold temps. With the same ammos in warm temps, both shots hit the same POA. I figure this is just how the rifle is.

There IS one problem though. The detachable magazine. The magazine release lever sticks out too far. Last year on an elk hunt, I lost the magazine in shin high snow. By the time I realized the magazine was gone, I'd walked for 2 hours. Fortunately, I had an extra loaded magazine in my pack. After the hunt, I removed the release lever from the rifle and filed that sucker so short that, now to remove the magazine, you need to poke your baby finger inside the hole and catch the edge of the lever with the finger nail. You have to work at it to release the magazine now. roy p.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roy,

Have you ever tried the Hornady Light Magnum loads? The 30-06 is suppose to have the same ballastics as a standard load for the 300 Winchester Magnum.

You mentioned that your groups open up a little bit in cold weather to about 1.5" I believe you said. Due you think this could be due to a chamber a little on the tight side of the tollerance? Nothing wrong with that. I'd rather have a chamber a little snug than a little loose. It kind of hard to put metal back in place.

<roy p>
posted
Hello again. Yes, I've bought a couple boxes of Hornady Light Magnum and Federal High Energy ammo. My rifle seemed to like them no better or no worse than any other ammo. I can honestly say that my Sako likes everything I feed it. And again, I'm happy with 1 1/2 MOA, that's plenty accurate for me. I don't use them because I probably will never shoot at anything over 300 yards. There just isn't that much open space where I usually hunt. If I find myself on the plains, I would use them for the extra reach. But then the problem isn't aiming for me, it's reading and compensating for wind, which is why I'll probably stay within 300 yards.

I just don't know anything technical about tight chambers and such. I do believe that a very cold barrel shoots to a slightly different POA than a nice, warm one. The same can be said about a very hot barrel (from shooting too many shots and not allowing the barrel to cool some) shooting to a slightly different POA than a nice, warm one. I've read this many, many times from many different sources, but more importantly I've seen this myself with my rifles and my wife's rifles by shooting them in all seasons of the year. roy p.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
I have two Sako 75's in the SS version.....a 25-06 and a 300 Win Mag. In a word, I love them. I have owned well over 50 different rifles of various makes over the past 30 years and can honestly say I have never owned a production model I preferred to the Sako 75. The fit and finish is great, they feel good in your hands, the triggers are very crisp and break cleanly (they are factory set to 3# and can be user adjusted between 2 and 4#), the barrels are excellent, the action is as smooth as a hot knife through butter and they balance very well. Accuracy has been nothing short of astonding for a production sporter weight rifle. My only complaints are high price (in Canada they are 50% more than a comparable American rifle) and the extra 5/8# that they weigh over a regular sporter rifle.

The Sako 75 Finnlight model is a variant of the regular 75 with a fluted and shortened stainless steel barrel and a slightly different stock coloring. I have looked at this new model a number of times and find they are somewhat lighter than the regular model. My concern about the Finnlight was the short (20") barrel. In a short action version, such as a 7mm-08 or 308, this would be okay but I believe this would be a handicap with a long action fast cartridge, such as a 25-06 or 270.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic in 300 RUM. Beautiful rifle and accurate as hell! Best investment I ever made.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,

what's the recoil like on yours? More or less than a .300 win??

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I share the comments posted by Eagle Eye regarding the Model 75. I have one in a 222 Rem. caliber in a laminated stock, stainless action and varmint weight barrel. It is very accurate with handloads.

I also have a stainless synthetic 75 in 270 Win. caliber and this also has proven to be very accurate. I have a matte Leupold 2.5x8 scope on it with Talley fixed low height rings and this combo allows good solid cheek contact with the stock. Another plus is that while developing loads for it l found that it likes Nosler partition bullets. They produce 5 shot groups that average 3/4" with many groups going one-half inch and this is with a bullet that is not known for its accuracy but for its reliable controlled expansion on game.

I have not tried the Finnlight model but one would think that it would shoot just as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you Sako owners, what mounts did you use for your scope? Did you use Sako's Optilock, Leupold, or what?

I'm having a little scope trouble too. My ideal would be a 2-12x, but no one makes one. I have Sightron 3-12x42 MilDot, but I was going to put that on my critter getter (varmints). My eyes aren't the best in the world and I really appreciate a little more magnification than most, but like the low end for the woods. I have debated going with a Leupold 2-7x, but am a little iffy on that 7 power.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Sako Optilock for my 222 and Talley fixed on the 270. The reason l went with Talley over the standard Sako Optilocks is that you can get a lower scope mount using Talley's when using a smaller 2.5x8 scope. For your information Sako low Optilocks are equal to medium height from any other manufacturer. It just seems that a higher mounting arrangement is preferred across the pond where large objective scopes are popular.

I use a larger varmint objective scope with target turret knobs on the varmint 75 so the low worked ok.

Good luck.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
I used an Optilock on the 25-06 and a Leupold mount on the 300. Both are fine except the Sako mount is rather heavy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in as another satisfied Sako owner. I have a Hunter Stainless in .300 Win Mag and I love it. It is accurate, about 1.1 MOA with cheap 180 grain Federals. It is beautifully made, with evident pride of craftsmanship. As has been said before, it is a little heavier, but I don't mind carrying it. In fact, that extra 1/2 lb is welcome when shooting a magnum of any kind. The action is super smooth, and the trigger is phenomenal for a factory rifle. This rifle needs no aftermarket help.

What amazes me the most is the stock. Whoever designed the Sako 75 stock is a genius. From the height of the comb, to the radius and palm swell of the pistol grip, to the width and contour of the forearm, this rifle is a pleasure to hold, aim, and shoot.

I mounted a Burris 3-9X40 using the medium height Optilocks that came with it after a disastrous try with Burris bases and rings. The Burris Signature rings are awesome, but the Burris bases FOR SAKO 75s are total garbage.

My next rifle will probably be another Sako. There are cheaper, but there are none better at or below its price.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too like the 75. Mine is a .270W stainless, which I bought from a friend.
I do have some difficulty with it, though. It is not the most accurate gun I have seen, shot or owned. 40mm 5 shot groups or worse has been recorded.
Secondly it soots the necks of the brass and some cases in a pack of any factory ammo, will not come out of the chamber, when I reload. (or try to)
Maybe all of this originated from the period where my friend owned it, (he is a pig with his guns) Who knows. may just mine is a monday make.
Anyway I will probably rebarrel it after this years season if the finns will send a barrel.
See that is something we have to deal with when buying stuff from the finns. They are unorganized and lazy at Sako, it takes forever to get stuff from them.
But they do make very fine guns, so we buy them.

For very accurate guns Check out danish Otterup made "Schultz & Larsen".

Have fun out there

Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Currently own one Sako in the old style small action in .222 Rem. Have owned three other Sakos over the years. A Safari Grade in .375 (very beautiful gun and above average accuracy) A Fiberclass in 7mm Mag...average accuracy and probably the last 7mm mag I will ever own. And a standard grade in .308...one of the least accurate .308 rifles I've ever owned. IN fact the stock warped so bad I sent it back to Finland for repair. 6 months later and sevral calls to Finland (anyone ever try and speak Finnish before?) they finally admitted they lost the rifle. 3 months later I had a replacement which I never shot and sold out of disgust.
They make some dandy rifles...just realize that service is done over immense distances, across national borders, different customs rules and a major language barrier. I know the importers here will handle service issues...but realize they are doing so thru Finland!
I'm not sure, out of the box, they are any better than something like a Winchester M-70 Supergrade which costs about the same as a 75. Of course, if it fits you and you just plain like it somone would have a hard time arguing with that rationale...
One thing I don't like about Sako's is the steel content of the receiver and other metal parts causes the blueing to change to that purplish hue after several years. To me that's ugly as hell... Someone else might consider it a patina?

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote