THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    where to go for a guided caribou hunt??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where to go for a guided caribou hunt??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone have a good outfitter for large caribou? it looks like $5000 is about the going rate some websites it looks like the caribou are alot smaller than others, i'm sure there are regions that harvest larger caribou than others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
poulsbo,

Your research is just about on the money. A 1x1 caribou hunt in Alaska GMU 17&18 will run $4800 for 7 full days. A 2x1 hunt would be $4250.

A big caribou is were you find him. I hunted them for over 20 years and never could really make any rhyme nor reason out of why you saw or didn't see lots of big bulls or just caribou for that matter. You can't pattern them.

The year I killed a 417 B&C barren grounds we probalby saw 60 caribou total with 4 of them being big bulls. Last year when Jerry Huffaker hunted with me we probably saw nearly a 1000 caribou and only 1 bull I would call big. Other times we have seen as few as a dozen animals but they have all been big bulls. Go figure!

Caribou hunting is just plain fun though and one of the few hunts I would recommend to do 2x1.

If you'd like to know more about this contact me anytime.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12931 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You haven't said what kind of caribou you would like to hunt. There are a number of packages for Quebec Labrador caribou out there, but some outfitters are much better than are others. You could probably do a barren grounds hunt for about the same price as for Quebec Labrador. If you want woodland caribou, you can combine it with moose in Newfoundland for about what you would pay for a two caribou hunt in Quebec. The moose will probably not be huge, but if you want woodland caribou, Newfoundland is about the only place to go. Mountain caribou in BC or the Yukon is a great hunt, but can tend to be a tad on the expensive side. Some of the more remote areas of BC are wonderful, but it can be expensive to bring your meat, cape, and horns out.
I have not been to Alaska.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with these guys in 2002---great time--

http://truenorthsafaris.com/

......chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbrook
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in caribou in the NWTs, AR member "Arctic" from this board runs a great operation. PM him and find out more.

Posts: 522 | Location: SE MIchigan | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote