Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting camp cabin options
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I was sitting at my desk brainstorming when I sould be working and wondered what the general thought would be on this. Heck, someone else may have already done it, but I haven't seen them yet.

I have seen tons of different approaches to a cabin for hunting properties and leases here in Texas. It runs the gamut from the broken down farmhouse where you fight off the raccoons to high dollar custom cabins. In between are old travel trailers (very popular) and mobile homes.

I read a bit about the military container housing units and it got me on this track. Do you guys think there would be a market for a guy to buy a couple decent cargo containers and build them into a portable mini-cabin? I would think there was enough room for a small kitchen, a generator, 4 bunks, and a fridge. What else does a guy need? Obviously they would be limited to decent road accessable sites (unless you had a heavy lift helicoptor available!) but that still leaves a lot of market. I was thinking $10k range, as the closed top containers run $3k alone.

Good idea or not?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
There are one or two out there now, you can see their ads in magazines like Journal of the Texas Trophy Hunter. I think this is one, although they do not list them on the website:

PortaKamp

I saw them at an outdoors show a few years ago. There was another smaller outfit doing them but I do not have the web address handy.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option would be to approach railroads about buying their old maintenance of way trailers or connex. These things look just like a tractor trailer without the wheels. They have windows and doors already in them,most even have shitters in them. The windows often include two horizontal bunk windows also.. They've usually got a combo heater and air conditioner also. I've seen some go for around $4500. The majority have been maintained also.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Sledder how heavy are they???

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the weight. They're fairly easily moved.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I saw a small cargo container that had been converted several years ago at a hunting show in Houston. Twas a really nice setup.

but the best rig I ever saw was on a deer lease where a couple of family members had purchased a surplus insulated railroad box car from a company that provided delivery to the purchaser's site of choice in a 100 mile radius. Apparently they had to resort to a heavy duty wrecker to get the delivery truck to the site and back out again Big Grin

The resulting "cabin" had cork insulation a foot thick and could be heated for a typical Texas winter night with a good fart!
beer

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote