New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Binocular Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking that it�s about time to retire the 40 year old Bushnells, I began looking for replacement binoculars. I remembered the 6x30 �nocs issued to me in the Republic of South Vietnam and how tough they were and how well they worked, range estimating stadia lines and all, and sought to find a similar pair. Surprise. Big surprise, in fact. Do you know that nobody -- and I mean nobody -- makes 6 power binoculars anymore? Even though they�re light, handy, and you can hold �em steady with one hand while you�ve got your rifle in the other even if you�re puffing hard? Yep. Truth of the matter is that with just a couple of exceptions I was unable to find even a pair of 7 power binoculars. Nearly all the manufacturers make �em just in 8 and, can you believe it, 10 power.

Which leads to the following two questions about field glasses: (a) is it just me or does anyone else have trouble holding a pair of 8 power binoculars perfectly steady even using two hands? and (b) what the hell good is a pair of hunting binoculars you have trouble holding steady enough to count tines at 200 yards?

Posts: 44 | Location: Wolverton Mountain, NH | Registered: 22 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clifton, I've got a pair of 6X that my uncle gave me and several other pairs that I have bought myself over the years. I don't really seem to have that big a difference holding them steady enough to count tines at 200 with my 8 & 10X even, compared to my 6X, but I do remember when I was hardcore in archery competition that it was a lot easier to check my arrows with the 6's. At any rate their is some really good glass out there now, I am a big fan of Zeiss Conquest stuff, it is a really great value for good glass.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give me 10X or give me opera glasses!! Lecia gets my nod after owning Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, and Swarovski. In glass you get what you pay for.

Posts: 51 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do you know that nobody -- and I mean nobody -- makes 6 power binoculars anymore?

Eagle Optics make a good one.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=2989

You can look at them at your nearest Wild Birds Unlimited. http://wbu.know-where.com/wbu/region/NH.html

Leupold makes a 6x32mm Katmai, but it is not as good as the Eagle Optics.

http://www.leupold.com/products/birding_observation/WR_Katmai.htm

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... (a) is it just me or does anyone else have trouble holding a pair of 8 power binoculars perfectly steady even using two hands? and (b) what the hell good is a pair of hunting binoculars you have trouble holding steady enough to count tines at 200 yards?

Hey CC, A. Yes B. None at all unless you are trying to give yourself a headache.

However, fortunately there is an excellent "trick" to using the higher power binoculars. Put your hat on and snug it down about 1/2 way down your forehead. Hold the binoculars with your thumbs and the first 2-3 fingers. Then reach your little fingers up and grasp the brim of your hat. In some situations, using the last two fingers on each hand works better.

Now, pull slightly forward against the brim and you will notice a significant improvement in stability.

I've used 10x50s for about 40 of my 50 hunting years this way.

---

As a side note, the only way I've found to adequately assess binoculars is to compare them at twilight with others. My current set of 10-50 Wind Rivers got compared to a set of (I believe) 8x45 Weavers(their top of the line and I can't remember that name) about 3 years ago and the Weavers allowed me to see a STOP sign at 400yds when the Wind Rivers would not.

If you have to compare them in a store, try to locate a dark corner in the roof to look into, or go near dusk and ask the clerk to step outside with you long enough to check out 2-3 pair. Most of the stores are so well lighted, it is difficult to do a good comparison.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As you note, Clifton, the 6x is a very useful power in a binocular, especially for offhand use and scanning wide areas. It also usually produces less eyestrain than higher poweres. As with most things, people tend to think that "bigger is better", which is why the higher powers are more in demand by buyers.

I believe that Leupold has just brought out a new 6x. Unfortunately, buyers also believe that "more complicated" is also better, so it's almost impossible to find the superior IF rather than heavier, more delicate, and slower to use CF binocular.

The exception would be the Steiner 6x Military Marine model, but Steiner's optics, while acceptable, are not the very best.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hot Core. I use those same tricks, but when I've just finished climbing a long, steep, grade at 11,000 feet and my heart is pounding and I'm blowing like a Bessemer converter, nothing seems to work to hold those 'nocs steady unless they're six, maybe seven, power.

And thanks, too, Don and Stonecreek. I guess the market has driven all but a few 6x 'nocs out of the market.

And tango mike to you too, Jackfish. I will order a pair of those Eagles from the wild bird folks in Nashua.

Posts: 44 | Location: Wolverton Mountain, NH | Registered: 22 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clifton, Another thing that you might look into is a 7 or 8 binocular with a larger objective. With a 7x binocular a 49mm binocular would give you a 7x exit pupil which as about as large as a young persons eyes could use in dark. Marine binoculars are often something like 7x50 and such because the extra large exit pupil in the daylight can help keep you eye centered in the image. For example if in normal viewing your pupil dialates to 5mm you can shake the binoculars 1mm either way and still have the full field of veiw.
Also some of the binocular harnesses that fit around both shoulders if adjusted properly can help steady you by giving something to pull and push against. Your arms are pushing out against your shoulders.
If I were you though the first thing I would check would be to see if Cabela's still has any 7 or 8x40 Zeiss Classics available. You won't find better glass for near the same money...........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Clifton, I'm like you, I dislike high-powdered bino's. 8X is the absolute max for me. My former very favorite pair were some Gov't surplus 7X50's. It was amazing what you could see with those things in low light. But, alas, they were stolen.

In May '02 Consumer Reports tested bino's and if you'll P.M. me I'll get the info to you. As per their recommendation, I bought a pair of Minolta Activa 8x40 and have been absolutely thrilled.

Also, go here for some good reviews on bino's:

www.betterviewdesired.com

Good luck,

35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote