Find
Notify
Tools

My hat off to all sheephunters..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
I just finished watching a DVD about Dall sheep hunting...I was really impressed with the determination, passion and courage that hunters and guides climb up and down very difficult terrain. I saw two men around 60 climbing cliffs that where very high and dangerous, and no matter the difficulty, they never give up.

One thing is clear, It's not for anyone...at least not for me !!!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
One more thing, I will not go up there even for free to chase any of those sheeps !!

I have no problem admiting I am a coward Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Hunting Dall sheep is the toughest hunting I have ever done in my life, even harder than Mountain Goats, but theres something about those white Rams that keeps me coming back, I will be on my death bed before the day come where I can't hunt sheep.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheep hunting is a young man's sport.. Big Grin
It's NOT for us old guys...LOL
I used to climb mountains like that when I was in my 20's, but no more... jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back and am still too tired to think about it. I doubt I ever do it again. Too much up and down for me along with being wet, sleeping in a small tent, eating not-so-tasty food. I prefer Africa from now on.

But, I admire anyone that goes after sheep...

Posts: 10269 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
I used to climb mountains like that when I was in my 20's, but no more... jumping

Aaaah, come on.... ;-)

I didn't START sheep hunting until I was 40 (used to live 5 meters below sea level before that) and I feel that I'm still improving.

Going a bit slower doesn't mean you can't find a ram.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got back and am still too tired to think about it. I doubt I ever do it again. Too much up and down for me along with being wet, sleeping in a small tent, eating not-so-tasty food. I prefer Africa from now on.

But, I admire anyone that goes after sheep...

Did you have any success dogcat?

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you have any success dogcat?

I just finished reading part 1 and part 2 of your Alaskan sheep hunt in the Alaskan Hunting Forum and I found my answer to this question. Smiler

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
quote:

Aaaah, come on.... ;-)

I didn't START sheep hunting until I was 40 (used to live 5 meters below sea level before that) and I feel that I'm still improving.

Frans

To me it boils down to how badly you want something, Frans. Oh, and how deep your wallet is figures in there somewhere too, if like me, you don't live in a place where you can buy a sheep tag for the cost of a case of beer... Wink

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
quote:

Aaaah, come on.... ;-)

Frans

Frans,

You have an excellent point. I guess I just don't have the motivation to Sheep Hunt today, and definitely not the commitment to do so.
If I wasn't so damned lazy, I'd get off my ass and get in shape and go Sheep Hunting... Big Grin
I'm 74.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Sheep hunters near where I live are usually just looking for a date.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
[If I wasn't so damned lazy, I'd get off my ass and get in shape and go Sheep Hunting... Big Grin
I'm 74.

My hat's off to you, Sir... if I live another 29 years and I'm still sheep hunting, I will have earned the right to speak up. ;-)

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, if it was easy, it wouldn't be fun. Big Grin
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an Alaska bear guide told me on my first brown bear hunt, "Hell, if it was easy women an kids would be doin it." I celebrated my first sheep hunt and my 65th birthday on top of a Brooks Range mountaintop. No, I did not get my ram on that trip. Was back there again the following year, and , again failed to get my ram. Tried again two years ago, @ age 71, and got my 38" ram up in Canada's NWT. On the way back I did a Mtn Goat hunt near Atlin,BC. Toughest physical thing I ever did. In 10 days I am doing another goat hunt out of Juneau. No, I am not Superman, but I do stay in shape and work out at the gym four days a week for the last five months. Something you have to do if you want to do these hunts when older. Age has less to do with it than state of mind, willpower and mental toughness. For me, its good I did not start sheep/goat hunting at a much younger age. I would probably now be single and destitute. It is addictive and costly. And, in a small way, I imitated my youthful hero, Jack O'Connor, by taking a white sheep with a 130 gr bullet from a .270.