THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    what would be the best state to move my family to?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what would be the best state to move my family to?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
I'm tired of -30 f.where should I move the family?

Question:
hunting ,fishing,education,quality of life,how happy are you?
the states I'm thinking of now.In no order.

Choices:
texas
louisiana
arizona
florida
montana
wyoming
idaho
nebraska
new mexico

Question:
if you think I should consider another state,tell me why.

Choices:
hunting
fishing
quality of life
education

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alabama.
Excellent people.
Conservative.
Excellent laws.
Excellent job opportunities.
Excellent weather.
Excellent hunting, fishing and all of the shooting sports.
Beautiful country up north.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I am a bit biased towards Arizona as I have lived here on and off since 1970. This time I've been here 19 years. I can't say much for the school system here however. The rest on the other hand, it's a very comfortable state to live in.

Most hunting is by draw. If you like elk and would prefer meat in the freezer, you can draw a cow tag most every year.

Fishing isn't bad but obviously it's lake and stream.

Weather, I hope you like sunshine. Temps can vary quite a bit depending on where you live. The desert is quite warm in the summer where as up North it's VERY comfortable. Winter in the desert is 60 - 75 most of the time with a few days with rain that might get down to 50ish.

Job opportunities are quite reasonable but with the economy the way it is, it's as tough here as most anywhere.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not enough information. How old are you, how old are your kids? What kind of financial situation are you in, that is, are you independent, do you need a job, if so, what kind? Rural, Urban? etc.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THose are all pretty good states. Wyoming has the lowest unemployment. But if you want to escape the cold, scratch Wyoming, Montana, and Nebraska!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go wherever you can make money, if you don't already have lots. In US all good things are available with money. Life sucks when broke no matter where you are.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you live in MN, you already know what cold is. However you must take into account the wind with cold. Much of Montana and Wyoming the wind never stops blowing and that puts a major damper on things during much of the year. I've had friends move to MT and WY only to move back to the Midwest because of the wind and cold.

I suggest moving where both of you can get a job unless you are financially set.

I suggested someplace in the south/southwest (anywhere east to west) because you will have an opportunity of many more game species including native and exotic nearly year round (a major plus). Here piggy piggy. jumping Fishing can be awesome too. I hear a lot about AZ, TX, and NM and those would probably top my list of potential moves.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Considering all of your disparaging remarks about Texas and Texans, I'm shocked you even have the Lone Star State on the list.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Alabama.
Excellent people.
Conservative.
Excellent laws.
Excellent weather.

+1....... thumb

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
My remarks have all been aimed toward high fenced deer pens,Bobby.Not Texas,or Texans in general.At least that was always my intent.If you still feel slighted by comments made by me,I apologize.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
jb wrote: "If theres one thing I have learned here on the www,it is our rules dont apply to texas.they can do damn near anything, and not only is it legal,but ethical,"

That comment does not even mention high fences.

You also lobbied but failed to get all Texas hunting posts into a separate forum here on AR.

And yet you'd consider moving here???

As to feeling "slighted" by your past remarks, let me emphatically say -- given consideration to the source -- that I absolutely do not.

But if you are sincere about the apology, then it is accepted... beer

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
beer

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I judge states by a couple criteria other than the ones you listed, my criteria are elimination criteria.

1)Does the state have personal property taxes
(ala' Virginia as a bad example)

2)Is a special license required to purchase firearms
(Ala' New Jersey/Massachussets does California? Oregon?)

as a note NJ requires a seperate permit/registration
for EACH individual handgun purchase

3)Is handgun registration mandatory?

4)How long a wait for a deer tag?
Is there a wait at all?

for a resident a Mulie/whitetail tag is part of your hunting license in say... Wyoming.

Schools VARY not only state to state, but WITHIN a state
as well, you must investigate.

Another question is job opportunities in your field...

Can you find work?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd throw my vote in for Georgia. Depends on if you can handle the heat, but schools can be excellent in some cities, columbus, augusta area, atlanta suburbs, hunting is over the counter except for alligators (12 deer limit anyone?), and you've got mountains, beach, relaxed gun laws, and it rarely gets below 20 degrees even in the coldest parts of the state. I live in Augusta and although I want to get out of georgia for a few years to experience life elsewhere, I'll probably end up back here shortly.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
If they'd just give us a wolf season, Idaho would have it all! Smiler

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I certainly not rule out Oklahoma. There's more to the state then most people could comprehend. Look at the geographical location of the state. You basically cut it into 5 sections and you have five very distinct portions of the US. Cut off the panhandle where it is predominantly flat and short grass prairie like the front range of Colorado. Then take the remaining square and cut it by I-35 and I-40 making the other 4 sections. In the northeast you have the Ozarks ending, which makes it very similar to Missouri. The southestern portion is more like Louisiana, southern Mississippi and eastern Texas. The southwestern portion is predominantly dry like west Texas and then the northwestern which is filled with rolling hills much like Kansas or Nebraska.

Lots of hunting, fishing and common people and what you can't hunt in Oklahoma, you can generally drive within a day or two and be there.

Good luck with the decision!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on about Oklahoma.
Was thinking about Arkansas; lots of neat country there too.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lived in several of the states mentioned. I voted for TX as it is the most forward thinking state as well as the best education for the general public. I will likely re-locate to Tx when I retire.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My impressions based on first-hand experience, chats with others, various other research:

Texas: You don't stand a chance if you can't afford a good lease or regular guide fees.
Alabama and other deep south: Friendly folks, but I can't get used to the southern drawl, litter everywhere, lots of poor folks, low-quality deer, rural schools are often a train wreck.
Southwest: Beautiful country, diverse hunting and fishing, lots and lots of "immigrants"
Eastern Washington/Oregon: Possibly my choice for hunt/fish opportunities and diversity. Only been there twice, but what I saw was impressive. Nice people. Weather isn't terrible.
Virginia (I live here): A little of everything to hunt, none of it real good aside from specific areas. Decent fishing. Pretty good quality of life away from the DC suburbs. I don't plan on retiring here.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
quote:
Alabama.
Excellent people.
Conservative.
Excellent laws.
Excellent weather.

+1....... thumb

We're full. Sorry.

Mississippi is that way ------------>

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with hartfish on the deer in the south: you can kill 150+ inch deer anywhere in Georgia except the coast, and we consistently kill 125+ inchers (one 138 this year) every year on our central georgia swamp land, and we don't trophy manage or feed our deer year round either.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
i absolutely love living in montana and consider it to be very hunting and fishing friendly.

education system is at least above average and in my opinion quality of life is outstanding, but you had better be prepared to make less than you are making in minnesota and the poster above was telling the truth about the cold+wind.

if you can live with the lower income and the climate, then it is the best choice.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
i absolutely love living in montana and consider it to be very hunting and fishing friendly.

education system is at least above average and in my opinion quality of life is outstanding, but you had better be prepared to make less than you are making in minnesota and the poster above was telling the truth about the cold+wind.

if you can live with the lower income and the climate, then it is the best choice.

I have family in treasure county,and love montana .

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like hunting Montana,South Dakota ,Wyoming,Colorado but love living here in Wi.Yes we had more than 40 days of below zero weather this winter.It snowed 6 inches today.I love trapping in the winter,Ice Fishing,snowmobileing,Sitting in the outdoor Sauna and rolling in the snow.Snowshoe rabbit hunting,reading by the Woodburner,Cutting firewood in winter(Cant do that where there are no trees)I can Deer,Bear,Turkey,partridge,goose,duck hunt right out my back door.No shortage of water here.Summers are not hot.Nice twistys for riding my scoot.Hell I am never leaving here!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I can tell you where you DO NOT want to move.....California! This state is going to hell in a handbasket, and the picnic is almost over.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with Texas, there are plenty of work opportunities and low cost of living. No state income tax, no personal property tax and no permits required for firearms possesion or purchase. The hunting and fishing is very diversified. We enjoy hunting feral hogs year round, our whitetail general rifle season is over 2 months long with a month long archery season before, a muzzleloader season in the mix and even a late season doe and spike season after the general rifle is over. The largemouth bass fishing is really great as the bass feed year round and in good conditions I believe they can put on about a pound and a half per year from my experience fishing my own pond for over 20 years here at the house. Texas is very diversified in terrain, people and employment. As with any area, before making a move I'd really research the area. Good Luck, Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
quote:
Alabama.
Excellent people.
Conservative.
Excellent laws.
Excellent weather.

+1....... thumb

We're full. Sorry.

Wink

Exhibit one for Alabama schools.....Mississippi ain't that way....... clap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I voted for Arizona. Lots of game, good weather. Too many tornadoes in Texas. I spent a lot of time in AZ in the early 90s. It is a very hot state in the summer. That will be a huge change from what you are used to. Maybe too much of the other extreme.

I grew up in Alabama. It's a decent choice.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have lived in several of the states mentioned. I voted for TX as it is the most forward thinking state as well as the best education for the general public. I will likely re-locate to Tx when I retire.

By golly, I've found one okie that I wouldn't mind moving down here!

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know tastes vary, but I'd check out hell before I moved to Arizona. Didn't see one thing there I liked and the place is going to be a ghost town in a few years when the water runs out.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I know tastes vary, but I'd check out hell before I moved to Arizona.

And we thank you for that. Cool

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know we all have a bias. But could someone explain to me the big game hunting attraction to the S.E. Granted I've never been there, but I just don't see shooting dozens of little whitetails as that much of a pull.

You S.W. boys how much/what kind of big-game hunting can one expect without drawing a primo tag? This is only out of curiosity as I have no intention of leaving NW Wyoming.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
quote:
Alabama.
Excellent people.
Conservative.
Excellent laws.
Excellent weather.

+1....... thumb

We're full. Sorry.

Wink

Exhibit one for Alabama schools.....Mississippi ain't that way....... clap

My desk faces south. As it should.
Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Raphie,

Here's a copy of a message I posted in another thread in answer to someone's question on AZ hunting.

We have 12 species here that are classified as big game. They include two each of deer, sheep and turkey, plus lion, bear, elk, pronghorn, javelina and bison.

You can also shoot predators such as coyotes and bobcats, and there's an open season on coati.

Small game includes two rabbit species and a couple squirrel species. For upland birds, we have mourning and whitewing doves, three quail species -- Gambel's, Mearns' and scaled -- blue grouse and a smattering of chukar hunting. Some waterfowl hunting is also available.

ALL of our big game species for rifle hunting are on a lottery system, except for lion and some bear seasons. Most archery permits for deer -- but not all -- are OTC.

Permits for the premium species such as bull elk, sheep, bison and pronghorn are tough draws, even for residents. In regards to deer, it's fairly easy to get a permit if you're not choosy about the species or season. In contrast, certain hunts are tough draws.

As someone else mentioned, an antlerless elk permit is comparatively easy to draw, and bow permits for elk are somewhat easier to get than gun permits.

Our lottery system also offers bonus points -- NOT preference points -- that can better the odds of drawing but do not make any draw automatic as a preference system usually does. Some guys have gone 20 or more years in an attempt to pull a pronghorn or premium early elk hunt. I've been trying to draw a desert bighorn permit for about 35 years now.

If you come to school here and pay NR tuition, you are also classified as NR hunter. Thus, the odds to draw choice permits are worse than what they are for a resident since only UP TO 10 percent of the permits for the premium species may go to NRs.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't even give Idaho a second look. I do NOT understand how I have managed it here the last 31 years, and only took 28 elk in all that time!

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:

I'm tired of -30 f.where should I move the family?

Question:
hunting ,fishing,education,quality of life,how happy are you?
the states I'm thinking of now.In no order.

Be careful what you wish for! I've lived in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska, Colorado, and Germany. I've also hunted, fished, and hiked in Wyoming, South Dakota, Maine & Ontario.

MN. winters are long and cold--I've spent a dozen winters there, so I know what you're going through. But before you up and move, I will tell you that in all the places I've been, it's hard to beat MN for hunting and fishing.

Are the politics a little off? Well, that goes without saying when Frankenstein might turn out to be your next Senator. But Pawlenty is still gov, and there'll be wack-jobs no matter where you live.

But all of this advice people give you really doesn't make a damn bit of difference. I'd suggest that the only advice that does is your wife's... thumb

And, brother, "if momma ain't happy..." Frowner

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jb - maybe this will help you make your decision:

--------------------------

quote:
House shoots down federal gun controls
Posted on Feb. 14
By KAHRIN DEINES of the Associated Press

HELENA (AP) - Montana lawmakers fired another shot in battles for states’ rights as they supported letting some Montana gun owners and dealers skip reporting their transactions to the federal government.

Under House Bill 246, firearms made in Montana and used in Montana would be exempt from federal regulation. The same would be true for firearm accessories and ammunition made and sold in the state.

“What we need here is for Montana to be able to handle Montana’s business and affairs,” Republican Rep. Joel Boniek told fellow lawmakers Saturday. The wilderness guide from Livingston defeated Republican incumbent Bruce Malcolm in last spring’s election.

Boniek’s measure aims to circumvent federal authority over interstate commerce, which is the legal basis for most gun regulation in the United States. The bill potentially could release Montanans from both federal gun registration requirements and dealership licensing rules. Since the state has no background-check laws on its own books, the legislation also could free gun purchasers from that requirement.

“Firearms are inextricably linked to the history and culture of Montana, and I’d like to support that,” Boniek said. “But I want to point out that the issue here is not about firearms. It’s about state rights.”

The House voted 64-36 for the bill on Saturday. If it clears a final vote, the measure will go to the Senate.

House Republicans were joined by 14 Democrats in passing the measure.

“I would hope that our U.S. Supreme Court would begin to retreat from what I think is an abusive interpretation of our interstate commerce clause,” said Rep. Deborah Kottel, a Democrat from Great Falls who supports the measure.

That clause in the U.S. Constitution grants Congress authority to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the states. The Supreme Court has handled cases seeking to limit the clause’s application in recent years. In 2005, the court upheld federal authority to regulate marijuana under the clause, even when its use is limited to noncommercial purposes n such as medical reasons n and it is grown and used within a state’s borders.

The Montana bill follows fears here and elsewhere that the election of Barack Obama as president will trigger more gun regulation. In the months before Obama’s inauguration, Montanans rushed to stock up on guns, pushing gun sales beyond normal benchmarks despite the recession.

Opponents of the measure worry lax regulations in the state could lead to a similar surge in both gun sales and gun manufacturing.

“Who are we bringing in and is this the kind of business we want to have in this state?” asked Rep. Sue Malek, D-Missoula. “I want our state to be recognized as a state that cares about people, and that cares about the environment.”

The bill is one of a number the Legislature is considering that may extend gun rights in Montana.

Earlier in the week, the House passed another measure, HB228, that would let Montanans carry concealed weapons in city limits without having permits.

On Saturday the House Judiciary Committee narrowly passed a resolution that affirms Montanans’ right to carry weapons in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Go wherever you can make money, if you don't already have lots. In US all good things are available with money. Life sucks when broke no matter where you are.

If ya already have lots, come on up to NY. They'll change that in a hurry.
Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralphie, don't tell them any more, or they will all be moving here! SHHHHHHH! Big Grin

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Philny
NY has seen the last of me. NY and Mass mnight be the exceptions to my rule.