New
Find
Notify
Tools

elks mating season
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When do elk breed? Would region effect the time of year. Would non-native elk herds in South Texas breed in the same season as in the Rockys?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Around here the peak of the rut is approximately the third week of September. Seems to me they are basically the same throughout their range, give or take a few days.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I have found elk rutting from early Sep. into mid Oct. Generally the weather seems to be the biggest factor in starting or ending the rut. However regardless of the temperature the rut always happens eventually. For some reason it seems to be really hot the week after bow season is over. Big Grin

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
When do elk breed?

when they are horny.... animal

OH GEEZ, sorry I couldn't help myself.

Answer: Sept.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
There is the rut and a secondary rut, based on the estrus cycle.......cows that do not get bred on the first heat come into heat a second time. The rut and the estrus cycles are determined by the length of the daylight hours. The temperatures and weather conditions play a factor in the intensity of the rut but it still takes place at the same time in the respective areas.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like deer, cow elk seem to come into estrus earlier the further north you go and later in the south. While mid-September might be a hot and heavy time around, say Banff in Alberta, I've been to Rocky Mountain Park in Colorado several times during the Columbus Day holiday (second week of October) and the elk are clearly still breeding at that time. I wouldn't be surprised if ranch elk in South Texas were still breeding as late as the deer, meaning perhaps December or later. It all depends on when all of the available cows are serviced.

When animals are confined and semi-domesticated their natural breeding habits tend to be altered. I wouldn't be surprised to see ranch elk breeding any time that the bulls have antlers.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of antlers. When does a elk mature? At what age are the bulls antlers at thier peak? smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote