New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Wisconsin deer story.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Opening day of Wisconsin firearms deer season.

Found me sitting in a raised platform stand right on the property line with my neighbor.

We call it Jerry's stand because Jerry the neighbor built it just over the property line on my side. We have been neighbors for decades.

Then many years later when he was going to have it logged. He found out that the stand was 50 feet on our side.

He called and told us we told him to keep on using it.

Well Jerry is too old to hunt anymore and we took it over.

I knew Jerry's grand son and great grand son.

Were hunting nearby.

At 4pm I heard a shot from them and a small 8pt came running my way. It stopped about 50 yards away and could of been on either side of the line by a few feet.

I looked at it and thought I well it is kind of small. But I better make sure that if they wounded it. I should make sure it doesn't get away.

So I shot it. quartering away from me. Driving the 165gr cor-loc out the opposite shoulder.

I was using my model 99 300sav.

With 165gr cor-loc at about 2400.

I have shot dozens of deer with that combo.

Hard for me to think of a better big woods deer combo.

After I got down from my stand I saw the neighbors coming towards me.

I already made up my mind if the great grand son had shot and hit It was going to be his buck.

They told me that at his shot the deer flinched.

I told them I only shot to make sure it didn't getaway because I hate chasing wounded deer.

As we walked towards the buck. I told the great grandson it is laying right there.

He ran up to it stopped then gave it a kick in the rump to make sure it was dead.

Then he picked up the head and started staring at the rack.

I told him that he had himself a nice buck.

His dad looked at me and said you fired the killing shot.

I said your son drew first blood it is his deer.

The great grand son had a huge smile on his face as it was his first.

His father wanted to look for bullets holes. I saw one in the left ear.

I wink at him and said don't worry about it.

Your son shot a nice buck.

I told the great grandson I have shot a couple hundred deer. One more really did not matter to me.

He looked at me in unbelief. His dad said I know you have.

I let them drag it out to the nearest logging road on my property and told them to drive in and retrieve it.

Everybody went away happy.

Posts: 19497 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Very fine story and gesture, p dog.
My ancestors sleep in the soil of Sauk County up that way. Hope to visit Wisconsin some day.
You have a great Thanksgiving.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16578 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

~Ann

Posts: 19433 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go p dog

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1106 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had and seen so much stupidity over 6-100 feet with property lines. This is a great story. Thank you for sharing.

That buck and story will mean so much to that young man. I can hear him know talking about that strange rifle carried by the man who has killed a 100 deer at school.

PD: Thank you for giving him this.

Posts: 11665 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That buck and story will mean so much to that young man. I can hear him know talking about that strange old rifle carried by the old man who has killed a 100 deer at school.

There fixed it. old

Posts: 19497 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you made a friend for life!

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 964 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Class move P Dog

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1387 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who are interested in one view of the law of capture take a look at the case of Pierson v. Post, an 1805 case from the Supreme Court of New York. Except its not about a deer but rather a "noxious beast called a fox".

KJK

Posts: 688 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was the first case I read in law school.

Posts: 11665 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that was the first case we all read in law school.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes it was the first case studied by most of us. Outstanding outcome and a heartwarming story for all of us to share in!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a first year our Trusts and Estates professor played us the song, “I’m My Own Granpaw” and then had us discuss who would inherit the singer’s estate if he died intestate and why.
Have to admit, the subject needed a little humor.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote