Tools

$10,000 reward offered in AZ
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Up to $10,000 reward offered in dual bighorn sheep ram poaching

May 4, 2010

The Arizona Game and Fish Department is asking for the public’s help in finding the individual or individuals responsible for the illegal killing of two bighorn sheep at Canyon Lake, northeast of Apache Junction, on April 19 or 20.

The two majestic desert bighorn sheep rams were illegally shot and killed in Unit 24B along the southern shore of Canyon Lake, west of Beer Can Point. Due to the rugged area where the crime was committed, department investigators believe that the poachers reached the area by boat, and possibly at night.

One ram had the head and horns removed and taken from the scene while the rest of the carcass was left to rot. The second ram, located approximately 100 yards from the first, was needlessly killed and left to waste at the scene with nothing removed from the carcass.

“While the locations of the two animals killed are about 100 yards apart, we believe that the bighorn rams were poached by the same subject or subjects,” says Officer Brian Anthony, wildlife manager assigned to the department’s Mesa office. “The poacher left the animals to waste, and we need assistance from the public to find who committed these senseless acts.”

Anthony added, “Bighorn sheep are one of the crown jewels of Arizona’s wildlife resources. The department, in cooperation with the Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, has spent a considerable amount of time, money and resources in bolstering this local bighorn herd. This senseless poaching is a setback for the program.”

“These aren’t the actions of a hunter,” says Anthony. “They’re acts of criminals stealing wildlife assets and resources from the people of Arizona.”

The department’s Operation Game Thief Program is offering a reward of up to $8,000 for the arrest of the subject or subjects who committed this crime. The Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society has offered an additional reward of $1,000 per bighorn sheep for a criminal conviction in this case.

To report information on this incident, or any wildlife law violation, call the department’s Operation Game Thief hotline, toll-free at (800) 352-0700, or report online at www.azgfd.gov/thief. Caller identities may remain confidential upon request.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the notion of "Life Without Parole".

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Only scum will do something like this. Hope they are found and lets hope justice prevails.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A short rope and a stout tree limb comes to mind! Mad

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudu56

This old Yankee must be a Westerner at heart! That's exactly the solution I had in mind!

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
truly sad
bighorns are the most coveted game animals
surely a great loss
but Hangin is to good for them vermin

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I don`t know where the pride is in doing something like this.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To someone like me, 10K is a princely sum but to someone intent on collecting a Big Horn, it's probably chump change.
And therein lies the problem: the penalties are not severe enough. At a minimum, the thief shold spend some time in prison, hardcore prison, with Big Raiford and Bubba as cell mates.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
What a waste. A lot of good folks put a lot of time, effort and money into that herd. It just makes me sick and tired of these poaching morons. Zero tolerance.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
To someone like me, 10K is a princely sum but to someone intent on collecting a Big Horn, it's probably chump change.
And therein lies the problem: the penalties are not severe enough. At a minimum, the thief shold spend some time in prison, hardcore prison, with Big Raiford and Bubba as cell mates.
It's akin to a $10,000 fine to a professional athlete, a joke.

I like his idea better:

quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
At a minimum, the thief shold spend some time in prison, hardcore prison, with Big Raiford and Bubba as cell mates

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote