New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to book on caping bear?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a good book or video out that would show in photos or on video and describe in detail how to cape out a bear or cougar. I am mainly looking for details on the delicate work of the eyes, ears, nose, lips and feet/claws. I have a badger I would like to practice on but would first like more info to help me along. Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rufous,
Do a search on Taxidermy on the web and look for
"How To books". This should be a starting place.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Contact Russel Knight, Knight's Taxidermy in Anchorage, Alaska. He has a book on how to do bears and one on sheep; maybe more now. His little book is laminated with color pictures and fits in your shirt pocket. They were about $20 each. Tell him John Farner sent you. Here's his URL:

http://www.knightstaxidermy.com

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Rufous,

I found the follwoing web site a while back. I found it quite informative.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The link Steve found shows the complete contents of Rus's book. I don't think you'll find a handier field guide anywhere. His book on how to cape a sheep can be used for almost any animal as the identical techniques apply to deer, caribou etc.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have ordered Knight's book. Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote