New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Synthetic Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the proper method on cleaning synthetic stocks? Is it possible to buff them up and make them smooth-then put some finish on them? Thanks Nathan

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I clean mine with a cloth moistened in plain tap water. If that won't get the stain off, Windex or any other mild ammonia sloution will do the job.

Not sure what you're talking about when you say "Is it possible to buff them up and make them smooth-then put some finish on them?"

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With slight staining or discoloration as well as some small scratches- could these be buffed out and refinished?

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about a fiberglass or polyethylene stock? Is it aftermarket or OE?

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a Remington BDL Synthetic stock. Thanks

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
I started hog hunting again this year and bought the cheapest 30/06 I could find, a Rem 710. After falling down a muddy creekbank and thoroughly dowsing the rifle in the soupy bottom and plugging the barrel, I had two options, either the car wash on the way home or the kitchen sink with plenty of hot water and Dawn detergent with a scrub brush. I chose the sink and used my wife's hair dryer ... and liberal applications of Rem Sprayoil afterward to great satisfaction. Traded it off for a Savage SS "Weather Warrior" in 300winmg and plan on using it for all of my extreme weather and hog hunting. As my Coon Assed buddies from Louisiana like to say I have a gun for "paddlin' the pirouge, beatin' the dogs, and shootin' the hogs" with !
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I Armorall mine. Makes them a little greasy at first but gunk just rinses off.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote