New
Find
Notify
Tools

why I have to hunt alone
 Login/Join

<OTTO>
posted
I have been the guest in several deer camps here in MN. Seems I get invited for a few years then they just don't call. After much reflection this is the best list I can come up with.

1. I don't stay up all night drinking.
2. I'm in bed by 9pm
3 don't go 4 wheeling all night either.
4. I hate semi auto rifles especially with the see through scope mounts and I let them know it.
5. argueing about caliber is pointless under 300 yards.
6. Spray and prey don't cut it.
7. When the guy in the blaze orange cowboy hat shows up I can't stop laughing.
8. Then there is the guy who thinks this is some kind of social event and "has to make the rounds" about 0830 everyday.
9. The other guy who figures no deer will walk in 1/2 hour before dark so he better "make the rounds".

This is why I had to buy my own land. Now I can hunt it with my family no matter how screwed up it may be.

[ 06-02-2003, 11:04: Message edited by: OTTO ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Otto:

As a person who relocated to Oregon in 1995, I see not much has changed in Minnesota during deer season. Or else we knew the same idiots.

Funny but after 8 years away I miss hunting in Minnesota, but not at 20 below.

Oregon deer are about the size of a Dobermann.
give you about as much meat out of one as a White Castle Burger!
[Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hee hee hee.....you sound just like me!!!Guess all both of my hunting partners and I aren't the only ones.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
So called "deer camps" and "elk camps" are the epitomy of "not hunting" to me. I don't mind them all that much, I just don't belong there and do not spend time there. Hunting is a lonely activity for me, lonely being a good word. It fits my personality. Know that there are others of this kind out there, you get a glimpse of them "out there" once in a while.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey if anyone wants to see a funny movie on video check out:
Escanaba in the Moonlight, with Jeff Daniels

it is about Deer hunting camp on the U.P. of Michigan.

Otto being from the Upper Midwest, you could relate the most to it.

It was hilarious and typical Minnesota.

I miss hearing the Yumpers each year with the songs of " Deer Camp" and "Who got da Thurty Pointer/" [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
I watched the movie a few months ago and thought it was hilarious.The guy shooting the big buck (and his only buck)while sitting on the crapper almost gave me a rupture. [Big Grin]

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only thing that approaches the enjoyment of hunting alone is what can be done in tandem with the long-term partner, who enjoys your full confidence. It can be astounding how such relationships evolve, to mutual benefit, over time.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

that was a pretty hilarious movie,wasn't it!!! [Razz]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like sharing a campfire and hearing of the days events. I enjoy sharing a glass of Crown and a good cigar and hearing hunting stories as darkness surrounds you and the night sounds increase. I enjoy freezing on the backside and broiling on the front in front of a campfire. I enjoy hearing the talk of rifles and ballistics even though they mean nothing and ribbing and getting ribbed over our choices.

I love hunting alone and I would rather not even see another person from sunup to sundown. (except if I shoot something and then they are welcome to help [Big Grin] )

I also like to get away by myself for a week at a time also. Just me and my pony and the mountains. [Smile]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey1

Ditto!

I have one good friend that I do most of my hunting with as I too got tired of the all night parties, music etc. I go to HUNT and that time is valuable to me!

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Movie was funny and filmed only 50 miles from my home. Some of the scenes remind of some of the camps and stories I've seen & heard. I take 5 weeks vacation in the fall for hunting and hunt 90% of it by my-self. I do enjoy hunting with a few close friends. But they hunt hard like me, not needing to kill something every time there out in the field. Yes we still have few drinks, stay up and swap stories. I guess we like the solitude.

Posts: 150 | Location: upper michigan | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Otto;
I also enjoy hunting alone, or with my great uncle
who pretty much shares the same views as I do on
hunting, life, etc. Some of my gripes are:

1. Hunters who dont stay on post when your
driving deer towards them and you find them back
at camp drinking coffee with the excuse "I was
getting cold", or "I didnt think we would see
anything anyway"
2. Sitting on stand with another hunter and
deer approach and you whisper "There's one"
they of course look in the opposite direction
stand up and reply out loud "I dont see anything"
3. People who blaze away at a deer that runs
past them and if it doesnt drop right away
consider it a miss and dont even check for a
blood trail.
4. People who crash through the woods like a
team of horses and reply "Lets go home, theres
nothing out here anyway"
5. A person who misses a deer,elk,etc. and insists
that its mortally wounded, we all miss sometimes
nobody is perfect, heck Ive missed plenty of
small and big game.
6. People who get bored on stand and start
shooting at chipmunks, bluejays, etc.
7. People who buy a new rifle, hate the idea
of sighting it in, have a friend do it for them
miss a couple of deer, blame it on the gun maker
and reply "take it from me that new model by
company X aint worth a hoot"
Well, Im starting to ramble so I better get going.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
It isn't surprising that most of the big animal I have taken were when I was hunting alone. I don't mind if I hunt with someone who knows his stuff, but there are some hunters I have only hunted with once, and that was twice to many.

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
The only thing that approaches the enjoyment of hunting alone is what can be done in tandem with the long-term partner, who enjoys your full confidence. It can be astounding how such relationships evolve, to mutual benefit, over time.

I can agree with you on this, with the statement that these are few and far between. It's even better when this person is of the opposite sex, and fits this description, but that is a rare bird indeed. Worth the wait, I might add.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
I too mostly hunt alone-since I'm very picky about who I hunt with- had a couple of good friends when I was younger to hunt whith but I moved away and haven't found anyone I would hunt with since. Any of the above behaviors would end the hunt quickly as I don't put up hunt "BAD" hunters. [Mad] Although I do enjoy taking a new /young hunter out so they can get hooked on the sport-hopefully this year will be my duaghter finally got her through Hunter safety and lincensed!!! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I can count the number of guys I enjoy hunting w/ on 1/2 of my hand. I like sharing a meal w/ friends @ the end of the day & I enjoy their downed animal as much as when I am so fortunate. But hunting w/ an a__ will easily ruin the trip, every time, w/o exception. That's why my next trip across the pond will be alone. I will only have me to blame if I don't enjoy the hunt.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love being alone in the field. Blessed solitude.

Posts: 27 | Location: Los Altos, CA, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Yep, seems like most of us have seen those hunters who do everything but hunt. [Razz]
Met my hunting buddy 22 years ago...and we hunt.
We HAVE taken others with us, but bad things have happened, like the next year they show up at the spot we normally camp at with six trailers and 20 other hunters!
Here in Colorado, we have people who, because they had to pay out-of-state fees, figure that the laws don't apply to them.
Had one from texas hunt without any blaze orange and was wearing a brown shirt and hat!
I'm originally an out of stater too. Come from the "wilds" of northern Michigan. Haven't seen the movie, but will make a point of it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote