New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best non-kill hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It snowed in our part of Texas Wednsday night. Now Texas does get snow occasionally but Brazos County doesn't and last night it snowed all the way down to Houston. It was colder here that it was in Baltimore Maryland. I used to live up there and I can tell you that, while this wasn't a major snow storm, it was fairly respectable. It was definitely a pretty good snow shower.

I hadn't hunted whitetail on snow since I was a little kid with my dad in 1976, I called him to verify this, and he killed an 11pt buck that hunt. The problem was that this was a Wednesday and I had to work the next day. Well, I'm not gonna lie, I played hooky from work. I had to. Life is too short to worry about work when there is snow on the ground and it's deer season in TX. It could be another 22 years before I get this chance, if ever.

So I got up early Thursday, “called that shot” as we say in my line of work, put on my under-armor thermals, another layer and my overalls and went hunting. For Brazos County it was plenty cold. I've been in colder but not in this region. It was in the upper 20's and not much was moving. I'd past a few deer on the road on the way to the hunt and they were all bedded down. The sun came up and my feeder went off at 7am. Nothing. A few birds, some squirrels but no deer. At about 8am I saw a couple of does come in. My best guess is that these deer had never seen snow and were colder than normal so they didn't want to move much. In any event, I wasn't seeing the buck I've been hunting but I wouldn't have traded for the serenity of the moment for anything. I was bundled up, it was still, there was still some snow on the ground and I was out in it. Many people search a long time for a moment like this one. The stillness, the majesty of nature, the oddity of snow in our area. It was a beautiful hunt.

Around 9am or so I got out of the blind and decided to walk down to the river. I spot stalked for about a quarter mile or so when I spotted some does out on the bank. I stopped and stood still and let them pass within 50-75yards of me. I really didn't want to kill anything at that point. I've already killed more deer in my life than most people get to so I don't judge a hunts success on my kill ratio.

I saw coon tracks in the snow, I saw beaver sign, I looked up through the trees to the clear sky and thanked Almighty God that I was allowed this moment. I wouldn't have traded this day for anything.

One other time I was in an ice storm in Brown County, in a deer blind where I wasn't seeing game but being in the moment seeing weather, nature and God's own hand in play made the hunt more about being there than actually killing something.

If you ever get the chance to hunt like this, for the pure enjoyment of it, for the sheer joy being alive, I highly recommend it.

Pictures will be forthcoming as soon as I get them downloaded.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with ya Ryan! Stuck here in "the free state" (which it ain't!) I fully appreciate what you're relating. Sometimes it's the gameless days that make the most impression.

Funny thing is that I sat here the same day stuck in the house by the rain, watching the weather channel and thinking - it's colder in south Texas than Maryland!
beer

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan for sure you are a true hunter someone that loves just being out there. I would schare a camp fire with you any day ! Good luck with all your life endevers, Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My family gives me a pretty hard time now because I so often come home with stories of a deer I could have shot, but didn't.
I do shoot them on occasion, but anymore I like playing hide and seek with them.
I passed on a 6 point last week. He and his doe were at 12 yards, and the button buck came to about 4 ft. I was camo-ed, on the ground, in the open. I even put the cross hairs on the buck,but passed.
I think that day I didn't shoot the 6 point was a better day than when I did shoot the 4 pt last saturday.
Again today, passed on a legal doe, but the shot wasn't right.
I'm sure I will continue to hunt past deer season, but I won't take a gun with me.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan man I think you might of been a bit over dress upper 20's wow it was a -20 this morning here. clap

Sounds like a good time glad you enjoyed it.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P dog,
I may have been a little overdressed now that you mention it but above all else, look good while you're doing what you're doing. Wink
[URL= ] [/URL]

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another shot. Not sure why it's double posting like this.

[URL= ] [/URL]

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
We had about 2-3 inches on the ground here in Huntsville. I'm 20 years old and it was the first time I have ever seen snow in my ENTIRE LIFE!! I felt like a little kid playing in it all night with a couple of friends. haha. I would have given anything to be able to hunt in it. Unfortunately, it didn't stick back home in Conroe or else I would have skipped my first class the next morning to drive down and go hunting. Oh well.....maybe another day.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
how about this for snow?

http://s82.photobucket.com/alb...ew¤t=pt109.flv

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote