New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold vs. Burris
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
How does Burris warranty compare to Leupolds in terms of timeleness and no hassle to fix or replace.

Anyone that has used both have a preference for a particular reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best warranty is the one which you never have to use. I've owned dozens of Leupolds starting over 35 years ago, and have never had to send even one of them back to the factory for work. What makes this more remarkable is that most of them were purchased used.

It hard to test any other manufacturer's warranty when you can't find an excuse to buy one of their scopes.

But by all means, please give the Burris a try. After all, if it weren't for people buying other brands of scopes, Leupold would raise their prices to the point that I couldn't afford them. Far from criticizing my fellow shooters who advocate brands x,y,or z, I appreciate them for keeping Leupold honest.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
I would say Leupold has one of the best warranty backups on the market, if not the best. I sent a scope back to them and they sent me a whole brand new scope back. My brother in law dropped his rifle and dinged the scope and it caused a problem with the cross hairs inside.....he sent it off and they sent him a NEW SCOPE back, what a great thing to have happen hey. Leupold is the word for scopes around this house.

<gone hunting>
posted
one is as good as the other

------------------
Death Before Dishonor

<338Lapua>
posted
I have both Burris and Leupold. I have had both break. Both companies fixed the scope under warranty. So, I can't tell the difference.

The Leupold was a 2.5-8x pistol scope I had a Anschutz 22 Hornet Exemplar that had a lens come loose in. They fixed it good as new.

The Burris is a Black Diamond 3-12x that I had caused to leak it's nitrogen out. I sent it back to them and about two weeks later it was sent back all fixed.

Both scopes were fixed at no charge.

FWIW,

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always like Burris have a few leupolds. But with burris I have been going around in cricles with them the last year with a 6x24 Its in to the factory for the 5th time. At least now they are saying its the scope. They say they are going to rebuilt it I told them to send me another one. They are going to rebuilt it for the 5th time. Burris and I have spent a lot more time then the thing is worth plus all the shipping back and forth. I should have it back in a week or so we well see if it works this time. The other burris I have 8 0r 9 no trouble. This one been a really bitch.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Rifleman7>
posted
P Dog, I too have had to send a Burris 6x24 back to the factory 4 times. I told them on the fourth go-around that it would be good public realtions to "can" it and send me a new one. Boy, they sure got hard heads. The biggest problem when the situation gets this far is that the customer looses confidence in the brand and has to post posts like this. Burris may have saved a few dollars now, but will they keep this customer and gain more later???

<k wood>
posted
I've sent both back and have had good service with both companies. I've had burris scopes that I had to send back repeatedly because they kept going blurry. They fixed them every time,then a couple years later they would get blurry again. I don't usually buy burris anymore, but I do have a couple still tha are good scopes.

<waldog>
posted
I've owned 6 differend burris scopes over many years now and never once had trouble with any of them. Never. And, I've owned pistol, fulfield, signiture, and Black diamond. I've also bought them new and used.

Last month I bought a 2-8x signiture posi-lock used. It had some black flecks or lint in the tube for some reason, and I got a good buy on it. Set it to burris and it will be ready for me next week.

IMHO just flip a coin. You'll be fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman7 The last two times I have asked them to sent me something else like maybe a 4x16 or a 6x18 no dice. I have talked with the superviser in customer service 6 to 7 times. They don't want to sent me a differant one don't know why tryed to talk them into. Told them it would be more then worth their time in good relatetions but that didn't work.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
The last time I posted about Burris, I got chewed up and spit out. I still have all Burris, never had a problem, and, as before, I have nothing bad to say about Leupold.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have owned both, but Leupold gets the nod from now on. I have never had a problem, that I didn't cause, w/ a Leup. I did have a reticle break on a Burris (7-08 Sako) and they fixed it, but I've been leary since.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not waste my time with Burris. I have a 6x that the crosshairs turned inside of the tube. I sent it to Burris last Sept. They took over 3 months to get it back to me. When I got it back it was the same as when I sent it in. I called their service dept. and Gordon said he would personally take care of the repair the second time. The second repair took over 2 months. I was with out the scope for over 5 months with 2 UPS bills.Burris spends lots of money on advertising for new customers. Why do the treat their already customers so poorly?? They surely have lost me as a future customer. I coach at our local range and if anyone asks me what to buy its Leupold!!!! Ter

Posts: 89 | Location: Baker City, Ore | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I own and have used both in very harsh conditions. I like, own and reccomend both. Burris has great eye relief, however they are very heavy. I only use Vari x III Leupolds on my heavy guns out of experiance. I am very interested in the new VX 2 scopes, and will buy 2 or three when they come out to test them. My .375 wears a 6x compact Burris it has 5" of eye relief but a smaaler field of view. All scopes are fragile, none of them will last forever, what ever brand you choose buy two of them. Our clients if Africa predominantly show up using Leupolds, usually Varix III variables

[This message has been edited by alekojjensen (edited 03-23-2002).]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Rifleman7>
posted
TER, I think what you said about Burris' advertising is about right. That's my point and probably P Dog's as well. I think Burris and Leupold are about equal in terms of actual nuts and bolts quality. Each has different design philosophies that appeal to different tastes. Where the rubber meets the road though is showing up in customer supoort. Burris needs to step up and take note. It's cheaper to keep customers than to always be finding new ones.